Sign in to follow this  
Jstbcool

Demon Drop Gone for 2009?

It seems like there is always hear rumors that Demon Drop will be leaving Cedar Point, unfortunately, it could actually be happening now. On Cedar Point's website the picture of Demon Drop has been removed from the website and the link for its seperate page no longer works (http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/thrill/index.cfm). I hope that they do not take it out and that this is just a glitch on the website.

I went back and found the pictures of a flyover of cedar point showing off the land clearing on millenium force island and they still show Demon Drop (Flyover Pictures). They were posted in March 09. I wonder if Demon Drop is going to be SBNO to help cut down costs or something like that.

I can't believe it. I hope this actually isn't happening. As much as I didn't ride that ride, I still enjoyed it and it was a great part of the Cedar Point skyline.

Unfortunatly the funcam that shoots across the bay is down so I can't see if it is actually gone or not. :(

Ryan

Awwww. :( DD is the only sort of Intamin drop tower-sort of ride that I enjoy. It would make me infinitely happy to have it at the Island, but we've already got our gyro drop. Then again, CP had both DD and Power Tower for however-so-many years... Hmm.

Any way ya slice it, though, I'll be sad to not have DD at CP. Is there any sense in hoping that it'll be SBNO this season for a grand refurbishment (a la SFGAdv's Medusa, despite that that's an SF park)? Ya gotta admit, that ride is due for some sort of revival- at the very least, the post-drop brakes and lie-to-upright elevator are loud and rough. Or, at least, they have been for me on my last few Point trips.

I also noticed that CP hasn't released their park map for this year yet. As far as I know they didn't add anything to the park so their map should be pretty much the same as last year, although I know they're celebrating 20 years of Magnum and such so it'll be a little different. If we dont hear official news about DD soon, I'll be interested to see if its on the map when they release it.

I know for sure Cedar Point is adding a couple things. One is that they are redoing the fountain in the main midway. Making it bigger and interactive. Construction of that is still ongoing.

They are also adding the Starlight Experience to light up the frontier town area of the park. Something to try and keep families in the park longer.

Ryan

^I hadn't heard about the fountain (or at least I forgot if I did) and I read about the Starlight Experience, but I didnt know how they would display that on the map.

Some positive news is I found two other links on CPs website that will get you to the DD page. That leaves 2 good links to 1 bad link. Here is DD's ride page if you're interested. http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/ride..._drop/index.cfm

Another negative thing comes from that same ride page. If you look at its ridership its been a lot lower the past 3 years. Thats not neccesarily a sign that they'll take the ride out, but it certainly hasn't been very popular recently.

The 2009 park map is inside the group guide on page 9. Here's the link where it can be downloaded

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admission...nning_tools.cfm

Demon Drop is still there so I don't think it is going anywhere. Also whenever CP gets rid of a ride, they always make it a big deal. Just look at what they did with White Water Landing.

As of now i would take it as no more that a computer error, But... has anyone noticed how dragstercam has been down for about a week? I wonder if that could have anything to do with it....?

I also think that it is two late in the season to remove the ride. I mean... there is only 18 days...

As of now i would take it as no more that a computer error, But... has anyone noticed how dragstercam has been down for about a week? I wonder if that could have anything to do with it....?

I also think that it is two late in the season to remove the ride. I mean... there is only 18 days...

Yeah, It's webcam has been down for a while, And I agree about How it's way too early to remove Demon Drop. I doubt CP will sell DD in the next 5 years unless someone buy's it, which is pretty un likely. And just cause it's not on the website doesn't mean it'll be removed, Look at KI's Sling Shot for example, it has never been on the website and it's still here.

How odd...

I enjoyed Demon Drop the few times I rode it both in 2004 and 2007. However, I would not be miserable if it left- it's an older attraction that surely has high maintance costs and is sitting on some valuable land at the front of the park.

Given that its nearly impossible to find replacement parts for the ride, meaning they have to custom-manufacture any broken parts, this doesn't really surprise me. If it's still running this year, it wouldn't surprise me. But I wouldn't count on it being around for much longer after that. I could see them removing it and replacing it with a decent-sized woodie in the next few years. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them build a newer-model Intamin drop tower to replace the loss of their freefall ride.

Edited by DiSab

There's some coding issues with that page at the moment. Down toward the bottom there's some text where it shouldn't be. I'd say it's just a misplaced HTML tag somewhere messing some things up.