TombraiderTy

Upcoming Coney Mall Addition?

I think I'd rather see a classic ride or two go into Coney Mall occupying the now open space, and a garden on the space by Diamondback. I don't think we would want a new ride very close to Diamondback, making it more crowded than it already is, even though KI is doing a great job making Diamondback's queue fly by!

I think a old time amusement ride such as a shooting star or a chaos would go great there and fit in well with the Coney Mall old time amusement park theme that that section has...Big Gandola Ferris wheel would be excellent too! :D

^^The open area near Interntaional Showplace is a small distance (using pathways) from Diamondback's queue area, however. It wouldn't get too crowded if a flat ride was installed here. However, I think a nice restaurant with outdoor seating could look wonderful here.

If they do add a flat ride here, however, you must remember that International Showplace is next-door, so the ride should probably be one that doesn't create too much noise.

Edited by TombraiderTy

Up until 2008, all the rails were still present...

My apologies, the rails were not present, only the poles that supported them:

l_5cca61e809f43eed1c0451038d48e2b7.jpg

Picture taken August 21, 2006.

And once again, here's the current queue:

IMG_2658.jpg

The first post has been slightly edited to include looks at the Flight Commander queue in both late 2006 and April 18, 2009. The appearance of the queue in 2006 seems identical to the one in late 2008.

I'm still wondering if the removal of all these poles is the first step in fully removing in the queue, or if it'll be reused for something, like a Haunt attraction. The number of supports seems to be a bit too high to transform that area into a patio area for park guests.

It wouldn't surprise me if the removal of the removing of the poles was the first step in fully removing the queue. With the removal of the dome I would guess they're looking to redo that whole section which would include removing the flight commander queue.

I'd like a rollercoaster like Wildcat at CP down here. I feel like the wildcat coasters would fit the coney mall theme

That would be really awesome! I love Wildcat, a classic! But honestly, I don't think KI would build a coaster like that in this century.

I'd like a rollercoaster like Wildcat at CP down here. I feel like the wildcat coasters would fit the coney mall theme

Why does every new addition always have to be a coaster? a good park should have a well rounded balance of flats as well as coasters,anyhow a galaxi coaster might go nicely over there but seeing as how KI had one in it's early years that was later removed there's little to no chance of that happening.

Not always, there are some decent flat rides out there too.^ Remember, parks are out to make money, they'll go for the most economical choice that brings the most people, and more importantly their money, into the park.

My question is if they do put in one or two small classic flat rides, how would you market that? Especially so soon after Diamondback? Basically everything I can think of makes it sound like "Come ride some rides you can ride at the county fair!!!"...Don't get me wrong, I'm all for some ferris wheel/tilt a whirl action, but I think if that becomes a reality, it will be coupled with something slightly bigger as those alone wouldn't be the big enough draw that KI is looking for...

I would imagine, that if we got a Ferris Wheel and Tilt-a-Whirl in 2010, they'd still advertise Diamondback as the main addition, mentioning the two flat-rides at the end.

Something to point out is that in the Laser Dome's former spot, it appears as if the park is growing grass there, turning it into a nice little open area. This would mean that if a future addition is planned for here, construction won't be starting soon, but maybe towards the end of the season. To be honest though, I don't think we'll see anything in Laser Dome's spot for a while.

Flight Commander's spot, however... I asked a Launch Pad employee about it, and he claimed they recycled the poles for Diamondback's queues. I've heard employees make mistakes before when sharing information, so I wouldn't pass this off as 100% accurate. Besides, Flight Commander was removed in 1995. Why would they wait 14 years before finally reusing those poles?

^I was actually going to ask a couple days ago if they recycled the posts for diamondback as a joke, but I decided it wouldn't be that funny. Jokes on me that a park employee told you that. Could be after sitting out for 14 years they had them melted down and made into the new diamondback poles, or something like that to save money.

Edited by Jstbcool

It was asked how would you market one or two flat rides especially after Diamondback. That's the whole point. You won't be able to market just one or two flat rides. It would have to be a package deal.

Back in 1986 Kings Island debuted Skylab and Zephyr along with a remodeled Dodgems. That's only two years after King Cobra, which was still a top of the line, state of the art coaster for its time. I believe this was also the year they remodeled Coney Mall.

Your best comparison would have to be Six Flags Great America. In 2003 they added the B&M flying coaster Superman Ultimate Flight. In 2004 they remodeled a portion of their Orleans Place area and turned it into a Mardi Gras theme area. They added a Huss Top Spin, Zamperla Balloon Race, Zamperla Rocking Tug, and a Reverchon Spinning Coaster, which pales in comparison to Superman. They also added a Huss Frisbee to the County Fair section which they moved from Great Adventure. So in all they added four flats and a small coaster. They followed that with the addition of the massive Hurricane Harbor in 2005.

In the case of Kings Island, it's been 23 years since they remodeled Coney Mall. Could it be time for another one to revive and refresh the area? I sort of like Coney how it is now. It just has a few dead spots that need a bit of work.

^Coney Mall hasn't featured a large rennovation because the park has continually changed small things here and there for the better. The landscaping is beautiful, it's very colorful, and the collection of rides is fantastic.

I would imagine, if we got two small flat rides next year, they'd have all commercials and advertisements start with Diamondback, then briefly mention the two new flat-rides.

I think the reason why they removed the poles is probably because they where using the poles as a marketing scam to fool people that they are building a new ride the next season so the guest can come back over and over again to see the new ride but always fail.When KI made DB the ignorant guest will not come back because this new addition stands out and they know that the new ride will not be coming so the scam wont work.

I, for one, have always thought that KI should be getting a B&M invert in the near future. For a park our size, I'm surprised we never got one. You could put it behind Racer, and it would still stand out, and it could be easily themed to the X-base theme (going behind Racer would probably entail that section, for its a pretty pathetic section compared to the others). I am all for the family flats and the ferris wheel in paticular. As for a family size coaster if we do get one, I'd rather go for a spinner than a Eurofighter.

As for marketing flat rides at Cedar Fair, what was it again that Cedar Point has gotten since Maverick?

Multiple flat-rides in a brand new kids' area, which the park advertised with.

Another cool ride that I would like to see alot in that area is a Rock-o-Planes like the one at coney island. Its like a miniture crypt to me. Except you get to chose what to do or how to flip. :D