TombraiderTy

Upcoming Coney Mall Addition?

^Perhaps it annoys an enthuasist like you, but does a local who lives near Canada's Wonderland care that there's two others? He may not ever visit Kings Island or Kings Dominion. By keeping all rides practically-identical, Paramount saved money while adding new coasters to three of their parks.

Good point. For the people who only visit the parks once or twice a year and only visit that park probably have no idea that there are 2 others and probably would not care either.

I guess for me, it just kind of cheapens the experience a little.

But we are all different.

Ryan

Well Behemoth and Diamondback have A LOT of similarities but they also feature their own unique elements which makes them two totally separate ride experiences, both of which i love. In all technicality though, theyre almost like the same coaster but that doesnt take away from their thrill factor.

And yeah I only will ride BLSC if the line is super short. I mean, i find it fun and it wasnt a bad move to add it to the park as it appeals to a very wide crowd of park goers, but its not one Ill lose sleep over if i miss it. I do find ours MUCH smoother than Canada's Wonderlands though IMO. NONE of the effects were even working on theirs when I rode it last summer, so imagine the highly un-fun factor of riding a themed coaster without working theming and a much rougher ride than what you expected from one of its clones!

Behemoth and Diamondback are nothing like the same coaster. The ride elements may be similar but they are no where close to being the same. That is like saying that Nitro is the same as Diamondback or that all of the B&M hypers are the same. It just isn't true.

I can't imagine riding a worse version of BL:SC.

Ryan

^Imagine one minus fire, lights on in tunnel, and a rough ride. Sound worse? Makes our current one sound fantastic, huh? :)

Once again, however, I do actually enjoy Backlot Stunt Coaster. However, I don't ride if the line is longer than 20 minutes.

Was thinking of what the area in Coney held in previous years. They have fit some fairly larger rides in that spot, like flight commander.

How about another HUSS attraction, or even two if you add one in X-base

Here is what I was thinking for Coney.

http://www.hussrides.com/index.php?option=...&Itemid=169

And here is the one for X-Base

http://www.hussrides.com/index.php?option=...4&Itemid=90

This would defiantly fit in with the theming in X-Base.

(I have to give my input on the BLSC matter. It's just how I roll. :lol: )

Honestly, I think BLSC needs to stay at KI. I'm not about to lie to you all and say it's the best ride I've ever been on (I won't consider riding unless it's a walk-on, and that's iffy), but I'd like one of you to try to truthfully say that KI is the more family-oriented of the BIG CF parks (CP, KI, yadda yadda). Afterwords, I'd like for one of you to try to tell me that ride doesn't appeal to the less-than-enthusiasts or young-er children out there; my last ride alone got me paired up with little 7 year-old dude that loved every last minute of it. It's like the mini-FoF for kids who aren't either tall enough for FoF or brave enough (as FoF can be intimidating).

Besides, it's like Asa said- it's newish. Sure, it's not got the HUGE people capacity like DB or the reliability of, say, The Beast, but it's a popular Premier ride that people will stand in line for. (I can't tell you, through my seventeen year-long visits last season, how many times I'd glance at the line to see the switchbacks filled to one extent or another. Since the name change, the ride seems to have gained mass popularity.) And, even ignoring that, since when has Cedar Fair been known for taking out rides to put new ones in?

Long and short of it: I really wouldn't be holding my breath for CF tearing out BLSC for a Maverick-ish Intamin ride. It earns plenty of nickels for the park, even if it doesn't break 70 MPH.

P.S. My two cents on the Behemoth/Diamondback matter: take it with a grain of salt as I've never been to Canada's Wonderland, but, looking at the layouts, they don't look to be TOO different. They've got their own unique quirks that make them what they are- Diamondback's splashdown versus Behemoth's two immediate helices, for example- as others have pointed out, but how different can they really be? The only thing I can imagine that would make them really different are the additional trims on Behemoth's hills, which could also have slightly different angles of 'sharpness' through how tight the turn of the parabolic shape happens. But hey, like I said, I've never gotten the possibility to visit the Wonderland. This is all mere conjecture. :)

EDIT: ^ Oh, and may I point out- Cedar Point has both Demon Drop and Power Tower. Just saying.

Edited by TombRaiderFTW

Oops, forgot to post this earlier...

After having asked Don Helbig about Flight Commander's queue, he responded by informing me the park was just cleaning and touching-up the area, even if they were a tad behind schedule. He also said the park did not have any plans to remove the actual shelter itself.

Why do we need a space shot when we already have Drop Tower? They are essentially the same ride.

Ryan

Space Shot does sort of act like Drop Tower, but instead of being dropped, you are launched then free fall to the ground only to be launched again. Yes, the two are alike, but it would be great to see a rocket in X-Base.

Watch the video on the HUSS web page.

I could imagine one fitting into X-Base nicely, but it feels sorta odd to add one when Drop Tower is already present... Yeah, they're slightly different, but even the general public will easily identify the similarities.

BLSC isn't going anywhere. Its new"er" coaster. A B&M Invert is needed, but it most likely will not happen. Most Coasters are planned 3+ Years in advance. I doubt Cedar Fair bought two B&M's both for the same park.

Also on a side note there are only two roller coaster tracks sitting outside the B&M plant right now, so unless they hurry up.... a B&M isn't comming.

Cedar Point got Raptor in 94' and Banshee I mean Mantis in 96'. So it's possible but unlikely.

True,but the economy was much more stable back then...as is CP expects to see an attendance decline this season due to the auto industry's problems having an effect on their local market base in Detroit,which probably explains why they havn't added a new coaster there since maverick.

Both Carowinds & KD are adding coasters in 2010 as confirmed through local zoning board documents but the specific type of ride that each park will add has yet to be known at this point in time.

As far as my opinion goes, The Back Lot Stunt Coaster can stay but I would really like to see it re-themed. I never understood the logic of putting that ride in that spot. I do understand taking out the antique cars, because ride attendance was down and it takes up a lot of space, but of all the things they could have put in that spot, they went with a warehouse district? All those stacked train cars are just an eye sore in that area. Although I’ll agree that it does go with the theme of the film, “The Italian Job,” they should have put the ride somewhere where it doesn’t take away from the overall scenery of the park, like back by Flight Of Fear.

As far as my opinion goes, The Back Lot Stunt Coaster can stay but I would really like to see it re-themed. I never understood the logic of putting that ride in that spot. I do understand taking out the antique cars, because ride attendance was down and it takes up a lot of space, but of all the things they could have put in that spot, they went with a warehouse district? All those stacked train cars are just an eye sore in that area. Although I'll agree that it does go with the theme of the film, "The Italian Job," they should have put the ride somewhere where it doesn't take away from the overall scenery of the park, like back by Flight Of Fear.

Well, that spot was at one time going to be The Addams Family:Shriek House it was going to be a heavily themed coaster and would have been a HUGE addition to Kings Island.It would have contained a HUGE graveyard with the coaster going in and out a few graves.But in early 2004 when paramount tried to get the rights to the addams family characters the rights holder passed away and put the project in limbo! So paramount went with IJ:ST instead But no worries you can ride that wonderful coaster that was known as The Addams Family:Shriek House at Dollywood it's now known as Mystery Mine.

--This Topic as been edited by Haunted Castle Guy--

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy

Oddly enough, I think the Backlot Stunt Coaster fits quite nicely in Coney Mall. Coney Mall has kind of that old-time theme to it, and for one reason or another I picture the BLSC as this like, really cool gangster-themed black-and-white movie chase scene. I mean, I know that's not what it is... And even if it was that, that STILL doesn't exactly fit in Coney Mall. But I like the ride exactly where it is, and so does the GP. Biggest complaint I've heard: It's too short. I agree, personally, but I think it's all a matter of perspective. It IS a family coaster, and has never been marketed as anything different. It just has all the elements (darkness, launch, etc) that one would expect from a full-grown coaster, so it catches people off-guard when it's not.

The fact of the matter is, I think it fits quite nicely in the area. Better than AF:SS would have, and on top of that, it's better than Kings Dominion - technically their Italian Job: Turbo Coaster is in the park's Congo section... Could our IJ:SC have fit nicely where Thunder Alley is? Yeah... That might have been a better idea.

And I don't see the stacked train cars as obnoxious at all. I think it's THEMEING, and at this point, we should take whatever we can get. Sounds like the other BLSC's in the world haven't got as much luck as we have. One could argue that a big cave with ruinic symbols doesn't exactly fit in an early Ohio settlement town haunted by a Beast. But the truth is, we as hyperfanatics are the only ones who care about little things like that. The GP just wants to ride.

Plus we all know Cedar Fair would NEVER EVER get rid of an expensive and fully-functioning ride, even if it's to replace it with a new coaster (flashback to Carowinds? haha... er...) but technically, Kings Island is their second-in-command-flagship-park, that little "island" that BLSC sits on is too small for a different coaster, and the GP has NO problems with it at all. It runs smoothly, is fun, and for all they know, is filled with the same special effects it had from day one.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

...that little "island" that BLSC sits on is too small for a different coaster...

IMG_4376.jpg

You could fit a decent coaster of any sort there. However, BLSC fills the bill for being a good family coaster with some nice themeing, even if it doesn't "fit" with its surroundings.

^^ and that is just that.... THEMEING

I have the ability to step out of the Coney feel, into the feel of the moment, and back without ever saying, "well that doesn't fit there."

Themes are supposed to take you to a different place in that moment in time.

Next time you Ride Back Lot, imagine it if the track were a highway. Don't pay attention to the track, pay attention to what is around. Emerse yourself in the "Car / highway" theme. You will then find the ride to me more fun.

It's kind of like the ride naming thing, you aren't naming the track, you are naming the trains. Diamondback for example, the track is not shaped like a snake, the train is. That is why you say "Diamondback's track stands 230ft tall"

I picture myself riding on the back of a giant rattle snake.

The Racer's tracks don't race themselves, the trains race. That is why it is called the Racer.

Put yourself in this mindset next time you visit the park and see if the experience is different.

...that little "island" that BLSC sits on is too small for a different coaster...

IMG_4376.jpg

You could fit a decent coaster of any sort there. However, BLSC fills the bill for being a good family coaster with some nice themeing, even if it doesn't "fit" with its surroundings.

I didn't know my "take out backlout" statement would cause this much of a stir lol. Anyway, that pic is what I've been looking for. You can easily put an invert there. You can even have it interact with the guests and make it go over the path towards Diamondback. I can see a cobra roll working well near Diamondback's station.

Sorry, but I'm just a thrill seeker. I've always been a fan of KI until I went to CP. Now when I go back to KI, I just see it as an old park. But thanks to additions of Firehawk and Diamondback, I've slowly changed my mind. But you got to admit, most of our coasters aren't that wild as others are.

The only rides that do it for me are FoF, FireHawk, Diamondback, Face-Off, Top Gun, and Vortex. I find every other coaster boring, or just giving me a migraine. (SOB) Now that CF has taken control of KI, I'm seeing a decent future for thrill seekers like me.

But I will stand my argument to the death about not having an Invert. There's no reason to not have one, when they are a popular ride with the guests. (Raptor)

Edited by Cixot

I wish KI would get a new wood coaster would be GREAT. Something like Renagade at Valleyfair! or Prowler at Worlds of fun. The last good wooden coaster Ki got was 30 years ago. SOB was such a bad coaster because nobody would build it for them because it was 215ft tall and had a loop. Its like a roller coaster tycoon ride.

Edited by Diamondback Dude

I'd like to see a Gravity Group ride built.

I'd love to see a Gravity Group be built to, but CF Has been liking Great Coasters International Lately, so I'd think a GCI will be our next wooden coaster.

Honestly, with KI getting not only a $22 million coaster and a capital expense of it's parent company I don't see the park getting anything new for a couple of years, maybe in 2011. However, some smaller ride where the dome used to be would bring new life to that area and give Vortex some much needed free publicity to attract more riders since it's been repainted. If we do get something new next year as well....................YAY US! :D