TombraiderTy

Upcoming Coney Mall Addition?

The back of Coney Mall is often considered a ghost-town by many, sporting a variety of abandoned structures and minor attractions. During the 2008 season, guests would find (left to right) a small arcade, a closed food stand, Flight Commander's former queue, Launch Pad, the closed Laser Dome, and restrooms. The area receives some attention, thanks to Action Theater and Vortex, but it has nothing else to attract its guests. Could that soon change?

Flight Commander closed in 1995, but the poles from its queue have remained in place since. Up until 2008, all the poles were still present, stretching beneath the shelter. By opening day of this year, however, they were all gone.

Here is a look at the queue in late 2006:

l_5cca61e809f43eed1c0451038d48e2b7.jpg

And here's the same angle on April 18, 2009:

IMG_2658.jpg

Another section of the abandoned queue in 2006:

l_29800355de16aadbefa9a2b8177e8376.jpg

And the same angle, again on April 18, 2009:

IMG_2659.jpg

Something interesting to note in the above photo is the trash can with the newer Cedar Fair stickers. There are several other trash cans in the picture, too. Cleaning up demolition debris?

Possible reasons for the rails removal:

-The closed food-stand next door will soon reopen and the former waiting queue will be transformed into a seating area for park guests

-The removal of the rails is only the first step in fully removing the waiting line. Reasons for a full removal may be unsafe structure, room for expansion, or a new addition

-They were recycled for Diamondback's queue :P

Nearby, past the Launch Pad attraction, is a new spot of cleared land:

IMG_2701.jpg

This is where the Laser Dome formerly stood. Based off the webcam, it appears as if it was removed in the winter months of 2009 or earlier.

Possible reasons for its removal:

-Rid the area of an eyesore

-Unsafe structure

-Future expansion

Flight Commander's former waiting queue and the new spot of cleared land are only seperated by Launch Pad, which is elevated on a large platform. Launch Pad is a minor upcharge attraction, often disliked by park enthuasists. Could we soon be seeing it removed too, opening up a long strip of land at the end of Coney Mall?

If this is the case, we could see a new addition in 2010 or sooner.

Possible new additions include:

-New Haunt attraction

-Restaurant (closest one is Jukebox Diner)

-Gift shop (closest one is Attitudes)

-Flat ride (Ferris Wheel, ect.)

-Roller Coaster (El Loco, ect.)

-New midway games

-Start of pathway that connects to X-Base

-No new addition, just some new empty space

Thoughts on what may soon become of this area?

Edited by TombraiderTy

^Welcome to the site! :)

I personally think a large Ferris Wheel would be perfect for that location. I think the park does a good collection of family oriented rides, but they could feature a few more.

^All the roller coaster additions since 2005 have been good capacity. Backlot Stunt Coaster features a seperate load and unload station, Firehawk has a dual station with large trains, and Diamondback can unload, load, and dispatch a train quicker than you cay say "Ride Sally Ride". And by the looks of the El Loco coasters, they have decent capacity- they have multiple MCBRs, allowing for constant train dispatches.

^Something like El Loco could be fun. Based on 4 person cars and the ride only lasts a minute its capacity is around 900 people an hour, although I did that calculation myself so I wouldn't guarantee its correct. Obviously wouldn't be the highest capacity ride in the park, but could be a lot of fun.

Otherwise I would agree with everyone else and opt for a Ferris Wheel. Not a huge fan myself, but I think it would look good, especially if they lit it up at night.

Here are my thoughts: (bare with me on this)

2vjsbhf.jpg

*Blue= el loco (tys idea)

*Gray= path

*Yellow= ferris wheel

*Red= Sky Hawk?

*Purple= games,resturants, etc

*Green= something like Stealth??

Yeah, I know this most likely wont happen with in the next 5+ years, but I can dream right :P

^^That is really cool lighting. You know a Ferris Wheel always brings the possibility of an event with someone who walks on ferris wheels.... that is if anyone still does that.

Edited by Jstbcool

^^Not bad, but I think the pathway is a tad unrealistic. It wraps aroud some service buildings- kinda odd. I would imagine they'd relocate these buildings (well, new buildings, probably) elsewhere in the park. With this done, the pathway could be more easily reconnect to X-Base. However, to be honest, I'm not way too big a fan of a new pathway to X-Base.

Also, the Ferris Wheel is hidden behind the Arcade in that shot. Kinda boring, to be honest. I would either imagine a Ferris Wheel or an El Loco as the only major attraction in that area. Good job creating your idea in paint, however.

^yeah your right . I think I was asking for a bit to much :lol:

(im just use to thinking like that, because thats how I play RCT2)

Edited by PKIcook304

I wouldn't mind El Loco it's a coaster design I've always loved it's a S&S

Screaming squirrel ..or it could be more intense like this Screaming Squirrel!

mysterious_23_536.jpg

Edited by Mr.X

I'm all for connecting that path that goes beyond Vortex to anything ^_^ it's just such an awkward area, like it was supposed to go somewhere but someone changed their mind.

Edited by Braves0511

^It does just sorta "end" back there, like a dead-end. But I just think a second midway on the North side of the Racer is just strange and would ruin some of the feel you get when riding it.

^From what I've heard, Screaming Squirrels are extremely rough, painful, and boring. I think an El Loco is much more attractive of a choice.

Isn't El Loco a Scream Squirrel? I was told it was because it's made by S&S Power Inc.

All Screamin' Squirrels do is throw riders over 180-degree drops, slamming their shoulders against a harness and keeping them in an inverted position for several seconds. El Locos, on the other hand, continually change position as they quickly speed through various elements, all smooth and enjoyable.