Sign in to follow this  
TombraiderTy

Ty's Opening Day PTR

--My apologies for any less-than-average shots, I'll pretend it was the weather that's responsble for those--

After spending a long off-season counting down the days, wishing to ride The Crypt and Diamondback, opening day finally arrived. The park opened at 10AM, while Gold Pass holders were given access to Diamondback at 9AM. Because I had won an auction seat (#113), I arrived bright and early- 6:30AM. We (my father and I) joined a moderate-sized line to check in for the auction, quickly getting a complimentary ticket and first-rider lanyard. Following this, we joined a line for the metal detectors, entering the park 7AM.

IMG_2549.jpg

Blurry, but still great to see International Street. Despite the lack of people in this area, it looked great.

About 7:15AM, we entered into Rivertown and walked over to Rivertown Junction Dining Hall (formerly WINGS Diner) for a second check-in.

IMG_2556.jpg

Diamondback in the sunrise B)

After getting a t-shirt and a large sticker identifying what rider number I was, we took a seat over near one of the windows that overlooked the splash-down.

IMG_2564.jpg

The picture is terrible, but it shows how cool it'll be for guests eating inside RJDH.

Shortly after, we formed a line for Diamondback :D

IMG_2575.jpg

So um, here's Ty. In line. Yeah. Something else to point out is the great new pathway added around Diamondback and The Beast. Although it doesn't fit the Rivertown theme perfectly, it's extremely nice and a welcomed change.

IMG_2580.jpg

The weather outside was great through-out the day

IMG_2592.jpg

The first train of riders was released from the station about 8:30AM. Prior to the first ride, Kings Island presented A Kid Again with a $102,000 check.

IMG_2598.jpg

The train returned shortly afterwards, carrying a large group of pleased riders.

IMG_2610.jpg

I was seated on the fourth(?) train, third(?) car, second row, left side. I got to ride at 8:36AM.

Ty's thoughts on Diamondback...

The first ride presented great speed, decent air-time, and a fun ending. The coaster was incredibly smooth.

The second ride, done at about shortly after, was just as fun. We rode in the second car, first row.

The final and last ride, done at about 10:20PM or so, was done towards the very back. The back of the train provides much more airtime, faster speeds, and more force. It's a bit rougher, but nothing compared to any other Kings Island coaster.

After riding, the mass of Gold Pass holders came flooding into Rivertown. We retreated back to RJDH, where the park and Starbucks provided complimentary breakfast. Auction winners received bags of Diamondback merchandise once inside:

IMG_2630.jpg

Included was Diamondback mints, DB playing cards, DB puzzle (500 piece), DB first-rider shirt, and the bag itself. We also received a free on-ride photo earlier.

IMG_2633.jpg

I always seem to fail at photographing food... It just never looks that appealing in my pictures.

IMG_2632.jpg

Small displays were in the center of all tables within RJDH. Our table featured a small pot with soil and snake-skin. I do not know if this was only for the First Rider Auctions or if these cool little decorations will be present all-year.

IMG_2640.jpg

Besides coffee, juice, and donuts, Starbucks also presented a variety of different breads and other food.

The Diamondback First Rider Auction was extremely fun. The park did a fantastic job organizing it. The amount of cool stuff we got to take home was also great.

After the great events, we explored the new Rivertown some.

IMG_2646.jpg

Right outside of RJDH is much nicer than last year. It feels much more open and friendly when compared to the large planters there last year.

IMG_2647.jpg

The Dippin' Dots Depot also received two new posters, brightening up the area. However, I would prefer to see a larger Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad sign than new advertisements for over-priced ice cream. Just my opinion though.

IMG_2650.jpg

The line for Diamondback ended right outside of Rivertown photos, wrapping past Rivertown Arcade, near Backlot Stunt Coaster, around International Showplace, through Nickelodeon Universe, and to the entrance for Diamondback.

is a low-quality video of the waiting line a bit later in the day:

IMG_2654.jpg

Elsewhere in Rivertown, the new The Beast sign looks fantastic! Great landscaping! The whole The Beast plaza appears much nicer this year.

We continued walking over into Coney Mall.

IMG_2656.jpg

Vortex's new paint looks really good. It was much brighter and attractive this year.

IMG_2657.jpg

The Laser Dome has been removed. In its place is currently a small open-space.

It was next I noticed something interesting...

IMG_2658.jpg

Despite Flight Commander having been removed in 1995, its waiting line has remained in place since. Up until this year, however, the rails were still there. This year, they're all been removed, leaving an empty space into the shelter.

IMG_2659.jpg

Ty's First Theory: There's a closed food-stand next door that hasn't been open for several years. They'll reopen it sometime soon and transform the old Flight Commander queue into a shaded patio for diners.

Ty's Second Theory: The removal of the rails (and the neary Laser Dome) was only the first step in fully removing the shelter, leaving room for a new addition in 2010. Or a new Haunt attraction, although I'd much rather prefer a flat-ride :D

After a quick ride on Red Racer (very smooth), we continued towards International Street.

IMG_2661.jpg

Fudge and Fun was renamed this year. The new sign looks very bright and colorful.

IMG_2662.jpg

The area guests can go inside the Airbrush shop was reduced this year.

IMG_2663.jpg

The former Fontana Bistro is now a new Belgium waffle location.

IMG_2665.jpg

As we headed towards the entrance (my dad had to leave early), we noticed this interesting sign in one of Thrill Seeker's windows. Sign of things to come?

Part Two below.

Edited by TombraiderTy

Part Two

After my dad left for the day, I walked around the park some alone, taking various pictures.

IMG_2667.jpg

Outside of the main entrance were two stilt walkers. A recent news article mentioned that atmosphere entertainment would return to Kings Island this year, so I was extremely excited when I first saw them. They were very entertaining and funny. I hope we can see them, among other forms of atmosphere entertainment, through-out all of 2009.

IMG_2670.jpg

It was only now that I picked up a park map. The cover is very bland, but the designs on the inside are quite nice. There was also a showtimes schedule, but I think we'll only see it on days when extra entertainment is present.

IMG_2671.jpg

Outside of Kings Island Theater was this creative photo-op. It was a nice bit of themeing that went with the upcoming Endless Summer on Ice show.

IMG_2673.jpg

Drop Tower... yeah... I honestly don't care for this ride.

IMG_2675.jpg

Kings Island doesn't have an apostrophe...

IMG_2679.jpg

Festhaus was empty when I went inside.

IMG_2680.jpg

The stage and new banner for Down Home Country both look very nice.

IMG_2686.jpg

Parrots of the Caribbean was one of many different shows and events happening opening day. I didn't stay and listen too long, but of what I did hear, they were very good.

IMG_2688.jpg

The Glassblower shop has returned. I can't imagine the sales being too good for this location, but its presence creates a nice charm for International Street.

IMG_2689.jpg

Cool lighting fixture. Has this always been here? :unsure:

IMG_2691.jpg

Various buildings and structures around the park received some new paint this year. The little touch-ups such as these made Kings Island look much more alive and inviting.

IMG_2692.jpg

I don't think this small display receives too much attention, but it's a nice little thing.

IMG_2693.jpg

Also new this year are various wait-time signs outside of most major attractions (Diamondback, Son of Beast, Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle...). It's a great idea in thought, but I'm afraid the park may have difficulties in making them work well. Any park guests could easily change the wait-time on them and employees may have difficulties in keeping the times updated and accurate. I entered a ride's queue later in the evening that said 30 minutes, but only waited 5 minutes.

IMG_2696.jpg

DB Trading Post was amazingly done. The interior of the shop was very nice and attractive, probably becoming the nicest gift shop in the park. There was even a large stone fireplace, a great detail.

While browsing the various pieces of merchandise available, I met up with Zach (SonofBeast93) and Paul (TOPGUN1993). Not long after, we walked over to Eiffel Tower and went up to the top observation deck for some pictures.

IMG_2697.jpg

The waiting line was massive!

IMG_2698.jpg

The splash-down ending is also a great feature on the coaster.

IMG_2701.jpg

Will we be seeing a flat-ride here? Maybe a new Haunt attraction? Gift shop? Food-stand? The possibilities are near endless...

IMG_2703.jpg

After seeing this view from the webcam all off-season, it was odd to see it in person.

IMG_2708.jpg

Two things in this photo. First was the season pass processing line. It is a terrible choice to process your pass on opening day- come during a day the park is closed, or even better, get it processed at the end of the season the year before. The second thing in this photo is the line of Diamondback buses. It was great for the park to bring them in for opening day.

IMG_2717.jpg

New Cotton Candy sign, I believe.

IMG_2719.jpg

The Spike figure, who was absent during the 2008 season, has been returned.

IMG_2720.jpg

Some freshly-laid cement outside of White Water Canyon. What's it for? Ty's Guess

IMG_2723.jpg

New The Beast t-shirt looks awesome. May have to consider getting one this year.

IMG_2724.jpg

VERY nice looking. Howeve, unlike the former stream that emptied into this area, this waterfall doesn't run all the way from the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad station. This means there's a long and empty (not to mention ugly without its water) canal between there and the top of this waterfall. Hopefully the park fills it up with dirt and plants some bushes in its place.

IMG_2726.jpg

Great addition, I've been hoping the park would get banners like these for a while.

Part Three below.

Edited by TombraiderTy

Part Three

IMG_2727.jpg

Paradise Island, closed all of 2008, has reopened.

IMG_2728.jpg

The park could add a flat ride here in 2010 also B)

IMG_2729.jpg

Eiffel Tower was looking awesome opening day.

IMG_2731.jpg

The clock has yet to be planted, but I'm looking forwards to seeing it when done. Landscaping like this, the floral date, and floral Liberty Bell are all great features within the park.

Paul and I bought lunch at Central Grill in Nickelodeon Universe (great value) before walking over to Festhaus to watch a show.

The show:

IMG_2682.jpg

The food:

IMG_2734.jpg

The food was very good and a good amount for the price I paid. In fact, I was too full to finish the chicken and curly fries.

IMG_2742.jpg

The show was aimed at young children and featured some singing and various live animals. I honestly didn't care for it, but the show kids' show was not made for me :lol: It did seem as if young kids within the Festhaus really enjoyed the music and animals, and that's what matters.

After a ride on Flight Deck, we headed towards Adventure Express.

IMG_2766.jpg

From AE's waiting line, you can see some old King Cobra footers. The concrete slabs in the ground there were the footers for the turn at the top of the lift-hill.

IMG_2772.jpg

The Cyber Sayz attraction was replaced with a new game. It's a smaller version of the larger one next-door.

I had to go to my great grandpa's 90th birthday party in the afternoon, so I headed out of the park, passing Royal Fountains on the way to the exit.

IMG_2791.jpg

I walked to passenger pick-up and got there at about 2:30 before being picked-up and driving up North for the party.

IMG_2820.jpg

90 years old. When I'm that old, I hope to still be visiting Kings Island! :lol:

I returned to Kings Island at about 7:40PM, meeting back up with Paul and Zach. I also joined Nick (angrybeaver) and his friend Danielle.

IMG_2864.jpg

Hello there, Mr. Diamondback. You're quite popular today, aren't you?

IMG_2878.jpg

Racer's waiting queue still features the purple lights from Haunt.

IMG_2891.jpg

New Test of Strength game. Lot more detailed and techy than the last one.

IMG_2894.jpg

I like this shot.

IMG_2901.jpg

I had my first Crypt ride of the season at about 9:25PM. It was as great as always up until the part where it returns to the top of the building, preparing to begin the "second half" of the ride. The gondola stopped and remained perched at the top for a bit less than a full minute, just sitting there. We were then lowered back down to the bottom before unloading. An employee came over the speakers, saying to unbuckle our belts, collect our loose articles, exit to our right, ect. She didn't say anything about the ride having suffered from technical difficulties. For this reason, many first-time riders assumed that's how the ride always is- you spend half of it sitting at the top before slowly returning to the bottom of the building. This now gives these guests bad impressions of the attraction. They'll go telling their friends and other park guests that the ride isn't that great, creating some bad publicity for it. Up until this part of the ride, I had a great time on The Crypt.

We got in line for Diamondback at 9:45PM, 15 minutes before the park closed. We watched the fireworks at 10PM and finally got on the ride at 10:25PM. While still queueing, we noticed that the wooden fence around some of the queue has already been heavily vandalized:

IMG_2912.jpg

It's very upsetting to see park guests treat the park so badly. April 18 was the ride's first day open to the public and it had already been disrespected by park guests. I question if a large sign in the general area stating that vandilizers will be removed from the park would reduce the amount of graffiti.

The ride itself was fantastic. I rode in the last car, first row, left side. The airtime was insane, the speed was intense, and the forces were awesome. Of the three spots I rode it, the back was easily the best.

With the park now closed, I headed towards the front gate and towards passenger pick-up.

IMG_2937.jpg

The fountains and Eiffel Tower were both well-lit and looked very cool in the dark.

Overall, the day was an amazing one, easily the best opening day I've attended. The park was clean, the new Rivertown was amazing, and the employees were all friendly. The park did a great job making Kings Island so appealing for the start of the 2009 season.

Rides Done:

Eiffel Tower (1)

Flight Deck (1)

Drop Tower (1)

Adventure Express (2)

Red Racer (3)

Diamondback (3)

Wild Thornberry's River Adventure (1)

Edited by TombraiderTy

First off, AWESOME PTR, Ty! It seems we had two very similar opening day experiences, minus the whole Crypt issue. Speaking of which...

It was as great as always up until the part where it returns to the top of the building, preparing to begin the "second half" of the ride. The gondola stopped and remained perched at the top for a bit less than a full minute, just sitting there. We were then lowered back down to the bottom before unloading. An employee came over the speakers, saying to unbuckle our belts, collect our loose articles, exit to our right, ect. She didn't say anything about the ride having suffered from technical difficulties. For this reason, many first-time riders assumed that's how the ride always is- you spend half of it sitting at the top before slowly returning to the bottom of the building. This now gives these guests bad impressions of the attraction. They'll go telling their friends and other park guests that the ride isn't that great, creating some bad publicity for it. Up until this part of the ride, I had a great time on The Crypt.

I definitely had this exact same experience with the exact same thoughts happen to me last year. From the old "Official Crypt Updates" thread:

On a side note, The Crypt screwed up when I rode it yesterday. Everything when per-usual until we got to the second time where they take the vehicle to the top of the room and lock the seats before rotating the arms. When we got to that point, the ride just stopped. The lights and music went through their normal programs, and still, we were at the top of that room- the loading lights even came back on. Then, after about a minute, the vehicle was slowly lowered (with the vehicle unlocked from the arms, though) to the loading position, where it seemed to take another minute for the vehicle to realign with the walkways that swing down. The ride operator didn't even act like anything went wrong when he told us to have a nice day- you'd think they'd want to point out that the riders should try it again because that's not how it's supposed to go...

To which grimlock82 provided a solution:

The situation described where the crypt gondola was lowered back to the home position where the platforms dropped was a ride stop. The most common reason for this to happen is if the ride is not in the position that it is supposed to be in at any given time durring the cycle. The ride does exactly as you described in your post, it interupts the cycle and trys to move to the unload position. The second situation described where the gondola swang back an forth is an emergency stop. When this happens the entire ride looses power and it swings to a stop. Once there maintenance must power the ride back on and put in the home position so that it can be unloaded. A ride stop usually interupts the show elements where as an emergency stop will always interupt the show. The house lights in the building are simply controlled by a light switch in the drivers box. Hope this clears it up.

Just thought I'd bring this up for explanation's sake. :) I rode The Crypt about 10 minutes before you did, and it worked just fine for me, but it originally was closed most of the morning to mid-afternoon. :wacko: It's a shame, really.

Oh, and on a side note: were the trims just before the first lift on Adventure Express turned off when you rode it? They were for me, and I wasn't expecting it at all since I was in the back row. Good lord, I think my ribs are still recovering! :blink:

Oh, and on a side note: were the trims just before the first lift on Adventure Express turned off when you rode it? They were for me, and I wasn't expecting it at all since I was in the back row. Good lord, I think my ribs are still recovering! :blink:

Only quoted that bit of the quote to keep the length of my post down.

About The Crypt, it was my first time having that happen to me, so it was quite interesting.

And the trim brakes weren't on for me either. To be honest, I thought it was much more thrilling minus them :D

Great PTR Ty! Can't wait to make the trip down there myself!

Thanks for the comment :)

Haha that new concrete by WWC they put a flower pot.I guess they do this with everything they build,put a flower pot in front,or in it! Like the Diamondback footings last year. :)

Oh and great PTR!

Edited by Phantom Theater21

another great trip report!!! and lovely photos. if my trip report from yesterday was better id write one too but id rather skip out this time and not write about my day yesterday because it wasnt the best visit ive had ( long story ) but yeah Diamondback is fantastic and i dont think one person will have anything negative to say about it. cant wait to go back next month and pick up where i left off and then some!!!

again, great pics and sounds like you had a great time.

Ty, thanks for the TR and for the excellent photos. The one of Diamonback's lift hill at sunrise should be a desktop. It's beautiful.

Did they totally get rid of Crypt's outdoor queue? Based on the photo of DB's splashdown from the Eiffel Tower, awesome shot BTW, it looks like they did.

Regarding the same mentioned photo, I personally think that area around the splashdown/Crypt/Beast area looks a bit sterile. Far too open for Rivertown.

I've read Diamondback had it's trims on and I wonder what your opinions are regarding them. How hard were they grabbing the trains and did you feel they took a little away from the ride experience? I ask since it seems when someone mentions Raging Bull the first thing they say is that the trims kill that ride.

I bet Nick is out after this year if they are selling items half off. Planet Snoopy, Peanuts Playground, or whatever they'll call it will take over and that would be a shame.

^Crypt has a small queue outside in what is left of the old queue area. The exit now utilizes a portion of it also, though most of the old queue is gone. They did leave the old photo building there, but noting connects to it.

As for the trim on Diamondback, you notice it and after you go into the helix your glad it is their! Going into the 4th hill, after the hammerhead, it had loads of speed still that would really hurt in that helix.

Did they totally get rid of Crypt's outdoor queue? Based on the photo of DB's splashdown from the Eiffel Tower, awesome shot BTW, it looks like they did.

It's much shorter than before. However, it looks much nicer (the queue part). It is a tad unfortunate that Diamondback destroyed most of The Crypt's look from Rivertown's midway.

I've read Diamondback had it's trims on and I wonder what your opinions are regarding them. How hard were they grabbing the trains and did you feel they took a little away from the ride experience?

Honestly, I only noticed one trim, the one before entering the spiral into the MCBR. It did slow the train down some, but that hill still offered airtime. Had it not slowed the train down, the helix into the MCBR may have been painful.

Ty did you notice if the park replaced the ACE coaster landmark sign that had been outside the queue? I didn't see it in any of the pictures...

Do you mean the one for The Beast? I didn't see it myself, but I only took that photo then went back to Rivertown's midway. I didn't get the chance to ride The Beast opening day.

Yeah the trim was kind of powerful, I can't wait to ride it with it turned off! The airtime on that hill will be insane! And the helix will be nothing but laterals! Imagine the second half of the ride with the MCBR turned off completely! Those airtime hills would be more awesome than they already are, and it would fly through the last helix!

Ty,

Nice trip report…and some very good photos. It sounds like you had a great time. I had no idea that you were one of the Diamondback bidders…I don’t think I ever saw that you ever mentioned that in any of your posts.

I always seem to fail at photographing food... It just never looks that appealing in my pictures.

I have never seen the appeal of ANYONE taking photos of food…food’s food in my opinion. We have several photos that my Grandfather took over the years of Thanksgiving turkeys and pies and I have never understood that…and since he passed when I was still very young I guess I never will know the answer.

IMG_2630.jpg

Thanks for posting this…now I know what I have to look out for on eBay! Is my memory bad…I thought that some kind of special commemorative first rider ticket was part of the original listing…which was about the only thing that tempted me to bid…but not enough!

IMG_2667.jpg

I think this is the same guy I first saw at Winterfest…and have seen a few times after that…he is both very nice and always fun to watch if you are killing time.

You are WAY to observant…I never noticed that there was an apostrophe in King’s on the Thunder Alley sign…and that is one of my pet peeves. I also never noticed the Spike figure missing…or actually cared for that matter.

The Cyber Sayz attraction was replaced with a new game. It's a smaller version of the larger one next-door.

Cyber Sayz lasted a lot longer than I ever thought it would…I’m glad I never bet anyone on that one. ;)

Racer's waiting queue still features the purple lights from Haunt.

This is fine with me…I like the purple ones.

I hope it still says “Come on give it a whack”…Coney Mall wouldn’t be the same without it!

Your Juke Box Diner shot IS very good!

It is also sad/amazing that the Diamondback fence is already getting graffitied up…obviously a case of parents who didn’t do their job when they were raising them.

IMG_2937.jpg

This has seriously got to be one of the finest night-time shots I have seen of the fountain! (Did you stabilize the camera at all?)

Well…that’s all of my comments…thanks for the trip report,

J.D.

^Thanks for the nice comment! I enjoy reading other's thoughts and opinions on things. My feedback on some of what you said:

I had no idea that you were one of the Diamondback bidders…I don’t think I ever saw that you ever mentioned that in any of your posts.

Hmm... I'm not sure if I ever did mention it, come to think of it. The bid was placed in mid February. At that point in time, I think I was spot 31. I ended up about 85 spots behind that by April 18, but it was still a great experience.

I have never seen the appeal of ANYONE taking photos of food…food’s food in my opinion. We have several photos that my Grandfather took over the years of Thanksgiving turkeys and pies and I have never understood that…and since he passed when I was still very young I guess I never will know the answer.

I photograph food so that, in the future, I know what that place served, the size of the meal, ect. Also, when looking back through photos, it can help fuel your memory of other stuff that you did that day.

(Items from Diamondback Auction)

Thanks for posting this…now I know what I have to look out for on eBay! Is my memory bad…I thought that some kind of special commemorative first rider ticket was part of the original listing…which was about the only thing that tempted me to bid…but not enough!

We got a complimentary ticket good until September, which I assume was the commerorative ticket they were talking about? Or it could've been the lanyard given.

You are WAY to observant…I never noticed that there was an apostrophe in King’s on the Thunder Alley sign…and that is one of my pet peeves. I also never noticed the Spike figure missing…or actually cared for that matter.

It annoys me too. However, I am thankful of it one time- a 1972 Kings Island brochure was once listed with "Kings Island", meaning that if you searched Kings Island in apostrophes (like most people do), it wouldn't show up. I was lucky enough to place the only bid on it and win it for less than ten-dollars :D

I hope it still says “Come on give it a whack”…Coney Mall wouldn’t be the same without it!

I didn't stick around long enough to learn if it did, but it did sing the Macarena :lol:

Your Juke Box Diner shot IS very good!

Nighttime Fountain Shot

This has seriously got to be one of the finest night-time shots I have seen of the fountain! (Did you stabilize the camera at all?)

Thanks, it was one of my favorite shots. I did not stabilize the camera at all, I just balanced myself and took it. I hope to bring a tripod to the park sometime this season and take another stab at it, keeping the shot as nice as possible.

Thanks again for all the comments, I appreciate it.

Ty you always do excellent TR's I may have to get me that Beast Shirt that's pretty cool I don't like the skull hanging from it's claw but the DB shirts seem and look awsome I WILL pick up two when I visit this summer I still hope they sell scooby-doo merch! Also it's nice to see Spike back at Runaway Reptar.

^Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it.

With The Beast shirt, I think that skull just adds a lot more "mystery" to the ride and gives it a scarier appearance. It's a very nice shirt that differs from the usual The Beast merchandise.