Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

See The Construction Of Two Major Kings Island Rides!

Courtesy of R&R Designs, we can now bring you some views of the design and construction stages of two major Kings Island rides!

These photos include concept art, character design and an early look at the finished product of Phantom Theater, the classic dark ride that operated from 1992 through 2002. Check out this rare look inside the ride building as R&R technicians work on the finishing touches!

In addition to Phantom Theater, the update also includes concept art, construction and a few rare photos from inside the themed tunnels of Adventure Express, a thrilling mine train coaster that has been operating at Kings Island since 1991.

Click here to view these rare images in our History Gallery, courtesy of Rick Bastrup from R&R Designs!

As a reminder, the entire Phantom Theater soundtrack has been available here on KIExtreme since last spring. Click here to listen to it in our extensive Kings Island History section!

I like those Adventure Express pictures because there's no way for KIExtreme to get pictures inside of the tunnel without breaking the park rules, and KIExtreme is the model fan site so that would never happen.

characters.jpg

I especially like this image. Not only is it funny that the R&R employee is holding a flame of his own, but it's a rare view of three different Maestros at once (the third one is slightly hidden behind the other two).

Awesome, AE construction pictures! Phantom Theater photos are nice too, I wish I could remember more of it though, I only remember riding once in 2001 at about 9:30pm. and the only person I remember was Helga (I think that is her name.)

It's VERY cool to see these photos, thanks to everyone here for seeking them out. (Also a big thanks to Mr. Bastrup for sharing them!)

Edited by standbyme

I have a question concerning Adventure Express. Did it ever have or was it ever intended to have some sort of front piece/hood orniment on the front cars?

Edited by silver2005

Awesome, AE construction pictures! Phantom Theater photos are nice too, I wish I could remember more of it though, I only remember riding once in 2001 at about 9:30pm. and the only person I remember was Helga (I think that is her name.)

I still remember the first time I rode Phantom theater. We went to the park with the employees of the restaurant my mother and I worked at as we were closed on Mondays and it was probably August I cant remember the year. I was probably 15. The whole group went there first and I didnt really like the looks of the outside so I didnt go in and decided to wait outside. The group rode the ride as it was early in the morning and so they were on and off. Later the group of about 20 split up and rode different rides and enjoyed the day. So I found myself with my brother and these two girls and we went and waited to ride WWC and it was getting dark and so we got soaked and then got back on about 5 times in a row. Now it is dark and we are soaked.The girls want to go back to the beastie(in those days) but when we get there they change their minds. So we come on up and the girls say lets go to the eiffel tower. So we come across phantom theater and my brother and this girl want to ride it as it is dark and of course dark in there and my brother was 13 but adhead of his time!Well the girl of course wants all of us to ride and I was kind of scared earlier in the day but the girl I was with said come on I will ride it with you and she grabbed my hand and held on to it and me in the small line as we watched the maestro work his craft from his loft and scare all of us.(the girl had been flirting with me all day and I guess I didnt catch on right away but I slowly did! we went to school together and kind of ran in the same group as I was an athlete and she was a cheerleader but anyway I never thought she liked me). My brother and the girl got on before us and rode and then we got on and I got even more scared as it got darker!We cuddled up together on the ride and even got a kiss during the ordeal. We got off the ride and went to the eiffel tower, the fireworks going off and the fountains all different colors was amazing and Im also holding on to the prettiest cheerleader I had ever saw! I would like to say we lived happily ever after but after about a year of dating we split. But I would have to say that was a pretty memorable trip to Kings Island. I hated when Phantom theater was taken out as every time I rode that ride after that I would remember that moment. I can still remember that moment but with scooby doo in that building now it kind of rains on a once fond moment! Rest in Peace --Phantom till they bring you back!