GoodYellowKoRn182

Petition To Improve THE CRYPT

http://www.gopetition.com/online/25820.html

I figure, it can't hurt, right? This is a petition to do something about The Crypt. It is not, however, all whiny and pouty like "WAH WE WANT IT TO BE TOOOME RAYDER!" Obviously, we Tomb Raider fans have started to face facts: It won't be Tomb Raider in 2009, they're not waiting to surprise us the day it opens, they're not going to buy the rights next year when they won't have a new debut attraction... All in all, it's NEVER going to be Tomb Raider again. That goddess isn't ever going to light up, no matter how much we cry. No matter how much of a waste we all know that it is for a multi-thousand dollar light up goddess to just be hanging there in the dark, that's life. This petition isn't addressing that...

It's logically saying that this probably isn't the time economically or with Diamondback's release to insist on a brand new theme, but if Kings Dominion's "Crypt" can still have its Tomb Raider music (and apparently, so can Great America's "Firefall" even though it doesn't have a theme that fits the tribal music at all??) then apparently that music isn't copyrighted and thus, it would literally cost $0.00 to play it during Kings Island's Crypt. It would be a cheap and easy way to add a simple element of themeing.

And I don't know about you all. I'm a crazy Crypt fanboy and I'll curse the loss of Tomb Raider till the day I die, but if I got on that ride in April this year and heard ANY kind of fitting music (aka, not wind howling and not techno), I'd absolutely pee myself of excitement. Just imagine if you sat on the ride and voila, you hear that delicious music from Kings Dominion's "Tomb Raider: Firefall" blasting. The ride wouldn't sync up to it, of course, but ANYTHING is better than techno and howling wind with freaking monkeys hooting in the background, right?

If this music is out there getting used at other Cedar Fair parks and it fits at Kings Island more than it fits any of their top spins, why not use it here?

I figure with a couple hundred signatures from this and other Kings Island fansites, it's not like they're going to be bombarded with letters, but management may say "Fine, just give them the damn music to shut them up." The old Tomb Raider FireFall music is free to use. It's just sitting there. If freaking FIREFALL at Great America can have it, why can't a ride actually themed to a tomb? Please consider signing. It definitely couldn't hurt.

Thanks so much!

P.S. Obviously I understand that company management never listens to online petitions. I do realize that. But this isn't meant to be some revolutionary thing. It's just a way we can all come together and say The Crypt is known for being high in thrills, low in theme, but it can try to reach a bit more equilibrium for a very low cost.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I would still love to see my "Maniac Mine" idea brought to life :D

And having looked around and figured out some of the costs, it would only be a moderate cost for it to become the 2010 "addition".

^^ Yeah, but since that's not going to happen, I thought this would be a reasonable way to go about it. Like, asking for some free music to be added would liven it up. Asking for a complete re-do of a ride that quite frankly is down 50% of the time just isn't going to happen. And even besides that, this is Cedar Fair we're talking about.

And yeah, there are plenty of things that could replace it if it were torn down. But the fact of the matter is, this ride was built for $20 million dollars and is only 6 years old. It's NOT going to be torn down anytime soon, period. So instead of dreaming about what could replace it, let's logically consider that it's not going to be torn down and instead focus on how to actually improve it cheaply.

Consider signing the petition. I don't see why you WOULDN'T. Either nothing will change or the Crypt will get music. It just seems like something where it takes two seconds to click the link and sign it and it couldn't possibly hurt you in any way at all. At best it will just add music to a ride. At worst, nothing will happen...

I wouldn't say Crypt is closed 50% of the time. Kings Islands goal is to keep it operational first of all then possibly once they master that think about theme wise. I don't think they have fully gotten to that step yet.

And you MAY be right. I just think I've been to enough / heard of enough Cedar Fair parks to understand the basic ideology: If it has a line and it works, why in the world would you change it? I don't think Cedar Fair is the kind (not that Paramount was) to say "Well hey, we've got this thing working a good portion of the time. It's always got a long line, and we don't get too many complaints. But I say we dump millions into it and give it a theme and storyline and special effects!"

Consider the lava fountains. EVERY Cedar Fair top spin has fountains. Thunderhawk, Firefall, KD's Crypt, Riptide, all of them... So why is ours the only one without working fountains even though it's equipped for them? Because ours is the only one where the fountains can't be seen by passersby, which means those passersby won't say "Wow that's cool!" and get in line. Fountains are about the least expensive element to have EVER. But even the $2 per hour that water jets cost isn't worth it in their mindset if it doesn't a) alter the ride experience significantly or B ) lure more people into line. It's quite sad really.

Overall, The Crypt is going to stay. Whether or not a theme lies in its distant future, I feel like we might as well just sign the petition now to make it that much better until this potential new theme actually arrives. Why not?!

They have done a decent job converting the old Tomb Raider Que line into something new. But when you get to the actual ride it's a let down to see they have a very nicely themed que then a empty square box? with barking dog audio...

Haha yeah. That's my favorite. My friend and I make fun of it all the time. I say "I'm going to do the soundtrack of a ride, then you tell me what ride it is." Then I blow through my hands like scarrrry wind and make monkey hooting noises and elephant trumpets. Haha! And unfortunately, I fear that the ride really IS becoming the new Disaster Transport. I think the line, which now features many oddly placed skeletons and red lights, is kind of a laughing stock for many of the obnoxious teenagers who visit the park. The same age group, I might add, who were doing nothing but going "Oh my God this ride is SO cool. There's like, fire and then you fall..." about three years ago. The plastic tarantulas and awkward brown skeletons and red floodlights get a lot of laughs when I'm there, and it bothers me a lot.

I will admit, they did a nice job in the pre-show room. Obviously it was much more aesthetic before. But as a bit of an artist, I can highly value what they did in there. The rides color scheme, which had unquestionably been gold, green, and blue, was seamlessly transformed into purple, red, and brown. It may not seem like a lot, but there are tons of new lights with new colors in that preshow room. In an old topic of mine I made up some possible new themes for the Crypt, and one was to keep it as "The Crypt" but actually utilize the scenario set up in the preshow room: The Durga statue becoming a bat relief to match the preshow, the lava pits as blood pits with skeletons floating in it, and the icicles as regular old cave stalactites. The preshow room also has such possibilities. The skeletons crawling toward the bat seemingly frozen in time as they reach for it. It's all very dramatic.

I swear if they bring me in, I'll redesign the ride for free. All I mean is, record audio for the bat to 'speak' in the preshow to tell a story, use Garage Band to have sound effects for the doors opening and closing, utilize some of Tomb Raider's still functioning lights, and throw on the old FireFall soundtrack. I swear it would be like a new ride. It really would be completely revamped, and seriously for little to no money.

I swear if they bring me in, I'll redesign the ride for free. All I mean is, record audio for the bat to 'speak' in the preshow to tell a story, use Garage Band to have sound effects for the doors opening and closing, utilize some of Tomb Raider's still functioning lights, and throw on the old FireFall soundtrack. I swear it would be like a new ride. It really would be completely revamped, and seriously for little to no money.

Haha, I'd so help you in that. Like you've all heard me preach for quite some time now, KI's Crypt is like the world's crappiest joke, except, unlike the world's crappiest joke, the jokester doesn't give up and say, "Oh, just kidding". Man, how I wish Cedar Fair would do that with The Crypt. The only "improvement" I personally witnessed last season was the bat flapping its wings and shrieking during HH after silence throughout most of the summer, and that was so pathetic that I was, to be honest, embarrassed to say, "Yeah, this is my favorite ride in the park." Why? Because as soon as I say that, the combination of not knowing what the ride is and the horrid animatronics set in for [insert name of the person I'm talking to in the queue], and they're like, "Oh. Great. I'm talking to a kid in love with a little kid's ride."

Delightfully cheesy, "shrieking" bat DOES NOT = promising ride experience

Delightfully cheesy, "shrieking" bat DOES = "Why did I just wait in line for 45 minutes for this?!"

...which I DID hear so many times last season, along with the ever-present "Is this a roller coaster?!" My personal favorites include, "Yeah, this ride's got 100 seats, and it's kinda like that Spongebob thing"; "Someone fell out and drowned in the lava"; "Is my son tall enough to ride this?". (That last one was asked a lot by people who were apparently too dazzled by the entrance to check their kids' height there.)

So, anyways... w00t for petitions! Hopefully someone from CF reads it. Now, whether they listen or not is probably another matter...

Since were making a petition to improve Crypt, how about we make one to get Flight Deck a new paint job! ;)

Honestly I kind of like Crypt's 'theme'. It could be better, but KI isn't really about theming rides, it's more about just rides in general.

i would rather have it removed and replaced for KKC

No offense to all of The Crypt fans...but this is also the petition that I would rather sign.

I'd rather they remove all of the crypt-ish theming, turn it into a haunted house theme, and bring back Maestro and crew as the new Phantom Theater.

Sorry to read about how pathetic The Crypt is to what Tomb Raider was. Sounds like they just converted it to a Halloween Haunt attraction. I loved Tomb Raider, even did the Discovery Channel shoot back in 2002. It seemed everything worked for the ride including the soundtrack.

Putting techno music in a ride that should have a soundtrack that actually fits the name and theming was a boneheaded decision. This is not Millennium Force.

But let's get real here. We're talking Cedar Fair. If you only saw how Disaster Transport was when Avalanche Run was first converted back in 1990 compared to how it is now then there is no hope for The Crypt to be any better than it is. And remember how extensively themed Maverick was supposed to be when they first announced it and compare it to how it actually looked when finished?

CF does not know what theming is and unfortunately I have to say that Diamondback's station looks rather bland and uninspired compared to what it really should have been given. This is KI's newest premiere attraction. The Beast has a better looking station.

As for petition I'd sign one if it was for getting a new name for Flight Deck and Drop Tower.

Edited by Geauga Dog

KKC?

He's talking about Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal, a flume ride present in Rivertown between 1974 and 2000.

27817092790.jpg

ride.jpg

OMG I HAVE A PICTURE OF ME AND MY DAD ON THIS RIDE WHEN I WAS LIKE 9 YEARS OLD AND IM NOW 23.....I MISS THIS RIDE

Or They Can Just Take Out The Current Giant Top Spin Thats Now Down To 2 Rows And Bring In A Regular Size Traditional Top Spin In The Building And Re=Program it And Make It Some Western River Town Theme........Hell Indiana Jones Temple Of Doom Or Something.........Heck Even Camp Snoopy Gone Wild...Something....To Me That Building Is A Waste.

I want the Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal back it was my first flume and I loved it. My family would always eat at Wings and then ride it. I miss the good old days.

I don't think Cedar Fair would even REMOTELY consider tearing down a $20,000,000 ride to reinstall a log flume. First of all, Cedar Fair historically finds water rides as being just expendable placeholders till they can put something big in. And secondly, I think that even though it's not one of their "highlight rides," they wouldn't tear down the world's largest top spin to put in a log ride. Just my thoughts. (:

In this day and age of larger, better, faster expansion, I doubt we'll see a significant amount of money dropped on a log ride anyway... There's one twenty feet away (Wild Thornberrys) and a spashdown boat across the park.

In this day and age of larger, better, faster expansion, I doubt we'll see a significant amount of money dropped on a log ride anyway... There's one twenty feet away (Wild Thornberrys) and a spashdown boat across the park.

I'd think Congo Falls (or whatever it's called now) would be ripe for removal and a bigger version of it (Intamin or otherwise) may happen down the road, but getting another standard log flume, probably not.

Actually, putting another giant flat (like a Jump 2) in Congo's place would be a good alternative for the Action Zone, but where to put a giant splash boat flume in the park would be tough.... not much "showcase" land is left in the park without removing something big.

Jump 2! I love it! Absolutely. The factor that Kings Island has over Cedar Point is that it doesn't just focus on coasters, it has plenty of flats. But Cedar Point now has maXair and SkyHawk, so Kings Island REALLY needs some great flats to stay ahead! A jump 2 would be awesome. And really, an S&S swing would be fine by me, too. Either could have really awesome "action stunt area" themes and color schemes. I say go for it! No one rides Congo Falls, anyway!

I have a feeling that CF does not care for log rides! I know they have torn out several in the past few years at Cedarpoint to put in the Raptor and the Maverick! I know I enjoy the Log rides, but many people now are looking for rides with a bigger WOW to them! I would love them to put back in a Log ride in some of the parks, but I don't see that happening soon!