Sign in to follow this  
diamondback_freak

Random water tower at action zone?

It used to say Paramount on it when that area was Paramount Action Zone. The area was some what supposed to be themed like a movie set in a way. In 08' They removed Paramount and now it says Kings Island with it's logo. If it was to be removed, that area would look kind of strange.

Back in 1999 when adventure village was rethemed to action zone, there was a stunt show located right in the middle plaza of the area. It only lasted a few months due to many complaints with the usage of fake guns during the show. I believe that's why it's there.

If it were my park I would lose the tower and the whole theme of that area and do something else entirely. There are plenty of cool rides over there but it is just too much concrete and not enough landscaping.

Still in use? If you mean for water, it never was. Stunt actors climbed it during tommy gun shows which were all too eerily similar to what happened at Columbine. Why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to have 30's style gangsters in trench coats running around with tommy guns randomly firing blanks at other actors and theme park visitors alike is beyond me. The shows, mercifully, quickly ended. The silly water tower remains.

I agree, it doesn't fit, isn't weird enough to have earned the right to stay, and just needs to go.

I would love to see all of Action Zone, maybe part of Oktoberfest, transformed into an ancient/mythical area, similar to Universal's Islands of Adventure's "Lost Continent". I think the theme could fit nicely into Kings Island- not to say a movie backlot doesn't, however.

Here's a few pics from Lost Continent to give you an idea:

l_f52fff29640ddbadc52af0febbf1dffa.jpg

l_53e428faea59965133f264ff491d74df.jpg

l_054839791b9fb1c7d468b082f758606f.jpg

l_2958f06caad9623eeeb30ac004a08bb0.jpg

Edited by TombraiderTy

Yeah Action Zone used to have a stunt show and the Water Tower was apart of the show. I thought it was cool yet so random that it was like in the center of the plaza area for a show lol

I would love to see all of Action Zone, maybe part of Oktoberfest, transformed into an ancient/mythical area, similar to Universal's Islands of Adventure's "Lost Continent". I think the theme could fit nicely into Kings Island- not to say a movie backlot doesn't, however.

I don't think you will ever see any amount of theming like that at Kings Island now that Cedar Fair owns it.

I've always been for Universal owning the park! It wouldn't happen in a trillion years, but man does Kings Island have potential!! Also, I rather like the water tower. I think that whole plaza has a really nice feel to it. It feels expansive and colorful, which is the point of Action Zone. I mean, it did lose some of its charm when those big movie poster towers were replaced with very strange ride posters. But I think the area's still nice! Walt Disney believed in "weenies." Medium height structures that drew you further into the park and towards the action (think, the spires of Space Mountain, the rocket ride on the pedestal in Tomorrowland, etc.) and the water tower is definitely a weenie (and a memorable icon) of Action Zone.

I can understand why someone might think it didn't fit, but it's not actually worth going through the fuss of removing it. I don't think anyone is like, infuriated by it to the point where it would do any good to get rid of it. It's cool looking!

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I don't think you will ever see any amount of theming like that at Kings Island now that Cedar Fair owns it.

I can dream, can't I? :D

Piece of information on the water tower, taken from 1999 issue of The Cincinnati Post:

There's a new, 40-foot replication of the Paramount Studio's water tower , which will be a catalyst for daily stunt demonstrations by the 10-person Paramount Action Stunt Team (including three Hollywood stunt veterans). Those will include high falls, choreographed fighting, pyrotechnic special effects and a 50-foot "slide for life" - on a cable that anchors into the structure of King Cobra.

To add something onto that, here's a picture of Kings Island's water tower (with the Paramount logo still present):

august20061-actionzone1.jpg

And here's the real water tower, takenf from waymarking.com:

9a6b1981-c768-4f56-b009-3c5d7f095b4c.jpg