KIExtreme Forums

Fate of Geauga Lake amusement park carousel

BAINBRIDGE -- Cedar Fair spokeswoman Stacey Frole says the historic former Geauga Lake amusement park carousel will be refurbished.

Frole says the refurbishing will get underway early in 2009 and the carousel will be moved to another Cedar Fair park this spring.

Frole says the Sandusky-based Cedar Fair officials already know where the hand-carved, 1926 vintage Marcus Illions carousel is going but declined to make that information public at this time.

The carousel was originally built for the Philadelphia Sesquicentennial Exposition in 1926 and it appeared briefly in Birmingham, Ala., before being placed in storage.

It was then purchased by Geauga Lake in 1937 and Illions himself restored the ride before it went into operation at Geauga Lake.

The amusement park closed in September 2007 and most of the rides were auctioned in June and others were moved to other parks.

The carousel and the park's historic Big Dipper roller coaster remain on the Geauga Lake grounds. The Big Dipper was sold at the June auction to an unnamed buyer who had Tom Woosnam of Apex Western Machinery Company, of Akron, make the $5,000 bid.

The Itamin Skyscraper ride also remains on-site at the park but it was sold for scrap at the June auction.

© 2008 WKYC-TV

Source:http://www.wkyc.com/news/state/ohio/news_a...92&catid=23

I hope this is new news to everyone sorry if this matter has been posted before.

I'm surprised this wasn't posted anywhere else... hmm...

But it's good to hear that Cedar Fair is giving the carousel new life and sending it to another park for it to be reused and appreciated. I wonder which park it will be however. Anyone care to figure out what Cedar Fair parks lack a carousel?

I'm surprised this wasn't posted anywhere else... hmm...

But it's good to hear that Cedar Fair is giving the carousel new life and sending it to another park for it to be reused and appreciated. I wonder which park it will be however. Anyone care to figure out what Cedar Fair parks lack a carousel?

Yeah I'm surprised I googled in Cedar Fair and this came up under news.I'm glad as well I know whoever will get it will be really happy with it.

Well, after searching through all the Cedar Fair parks, it seems that all of them have at least one carousel. None are stuck with only a kiddie one either, like our Nick-O-Round. And many of these carousels are at least half-a-century old. So anybody's guess on where this one will go is as good as mine.

Although, for an unknown reason, I'm willing to place bets on California's Great America, despite a carousel being their centerpiece.