SOBFOF

Flight Deck goes Gone in 2010??

ID was marginally better before TTD was built because much of the ride was completely surrounded by trees. With the construction of TTD causing the removal of many of the trees lining the track, I think the ride experience took a major hit. With at least half of the ride now in the open, you don't really get that secluded feeling that made it enjoyable before. Plus, with the trees growing so close to the track, it seemed like the ride ran faster than it really did (much like The Beast's first half - for me at least, it seems to run faster than it does due to the seclusion of the ride in the forest). With these trees gone, it just doesn't feel nearly as fun anymore.

:offtopic:

Back on topic now... ^_^

One of the major things FD has going for it is it's ride quality. Short? Yes. Intense? Certainly. I don't see it having many problem all that often. Until something major happens to it, I really don't see it leaving any time soon. Plus, it's fairly new compared to all the other Arrow suspended coasters built. It desperately need a fresh coat of paint, but I can't see it leaving until at least 2020 (barring anything major happening).

EDIT: Another thing I thought of while browsing the previous posts in this thread... Maybe if CF doesn't want to put money into a new ride in the next few years (after DB), they could give FD a whole new ride experience. Perhaps along with a new painting/color scheme they could introduce a set of Vekoma's floorless suspended trains. Those have seemed to work well on Chessington's Vampire. It might be a nice improvement they could do to spruce up an old ride without dumping a fortune into it.

Edited by DiSab

Flight Deck is still a very good ride - among the better suspended coasters I've been on. I don't see it being removed any time soon. The only thing I recommend is a new paint scheme (anything other than red, yellow, or orange please).

Now if they could only shorten the walk back to the ride a little...

^I don't really mind the walk, it gives some great views of the coaster. But I wouldn't mind if the walk was made more worth it...

And a new paint scheme is something it could do with.

And I must admit I've only done two Arrow suspended roller coasters- Iron Dragon and Flight Deck.

Y'know...I could possibly understand having them on Flight Deck, but why does Iron Dragon have OTSRs? Unless it's to keep guests arms away from the joints of the car, you don't really get any over-the-top g forces of any direction on that ride. I understand having them on Flight Deck... you'd break your ribs in the front car going into the final break run against the sides.

On that note, I love that seat. I demand it when I ride FD these days.

Ahhhh. Finally, someone else who understands that back is not where it's at on Flight Deck. For many years, I rode with friends who INSISTED on riding back there. They still can if they wish. As for me, front it be. Same story on Adventure Express.

Of course. The front seat is a lot more intense on FD than it is for most other rides. The turn over the lift hill is... disorienting. It feels like there's a flaw in the ride, because the front car rocks back and forth quite a bit as you go through it. I, personally, live for swinging on the brake run. :lol:

Unfortunately, Terp, I'd have to disagree with ya on Adventure Express. While it obviously isn't any faster, the back seat makes the ride seem like it's flying. While you do feel the effects of the Arrowness the most back there, it's just plain fun. Just make sure not to leave space between you and the handlebars, cause you'll probably end up hearing about it for the rest of the day. Riding in the very back row at night on AE, to me, is second only to the back row of Beast at night.

WOW everyone seems to be getting SO offended by the whole removing Iron Dragon thing. i really wouldnt want them to remove it...if anything I'm the person that hates to see any ride torn down, i was just making a statement geesh people chill. :P

Making the trains floorless may be harder than it sounds. Mainly because the seat that you sit on during the ride is connected to the floor. You could probably easily cut out the floor without harming the seat itself, but I wonder what that will do to the structural integrity of the trains.

In response to those wanting S&S's first suspended coaster. The last time Kings Island got the first suspended coaster of some company things didn't turn out so well ;) I understand that technology since then has come a long way, but still. Unless it is a big company like Intamin or B&M.

Ryan

Vekoma offers a floorless train for the suspended swinging coaster(as they call it) & sold one set to Chessington back in 02 for use on their Bat coaster so yes it's possible to engineer it.

The trains are designed much like their SLC models with the seats suspended from either side of the central column connecting the car to the wheel mounts.

^If the park wanted to do a Six-Flags-Style make-over of Flight Deck, I think a paint job, those new trains, a new name, and maybe new themeing would be the way to go. Wouldn't be too expensive and would give new life to the attraction.

And honestly, it is not impossible to use fog/mist on a coaster- I would love to see Kings Island use some around Flight Deck, especially at the bottom of the drop and in the small helixes at the back of the ride.

The thing is, even though its an older attraction...there is SO much untapped potential for it!!! Its really a shame to not do something about it. I really hope they do something special for it soon..even if its just a new coat of paint for starters. Everyone can easily agree on that. If all those elements as listed throughout this thread were implemented, just imagine the popularity it would gain. I've always thought that Vekoma floorless trains would look and feel incredible on the ride and with new paint and some other elements it could really be something special again. I will say the original Arrow trains dont bother me though. I don't think Vekoma's floorless trains swing quite as far out as the original Arrow trains, right? At least from what Ive observed. I really wouldn't argue the Vekoma trains though. Who knows.

Here's my newly compiled list of ideas for a Flight Deck make-over:

-Rename the attraction

-Give the coaster a new paint job

-Replace Arrow trains with new Vekoma floorless ones

-Add new scenery to the queue line

-Add new HD-TVs to the queue line to display video that fits with the new theme

-Make a soundtrack for the attraction

-Add fog/mist at bottom of drop and ground-hugging moments of the ride

-Add large flood-lights to illuminate the attraction

-Create a "different" attraction for the nighttime, including the usage of said lights and fog and a different soundtrack

Any ideas to add to the list? Or any changes to suggest?

In order to fund this face-lift, what if Kings Island got a sponsor for the attraction? One whose business could be the ride's theme, such as music. Imagine iTunes or Rhapsody.com having sponsorship over the ride- it could be the Rhapsody Roller :lol:

^This actually reminds me of the Crypt idea I had once where you could plug in your MP3 player into the restraint and listen to what you wanted to listen to during the ride. :lol:

Anyway, while it would seem a little Hard Rock Park-esque, that sort of makeover would be pretty awesome.

^Hard Rock Park-ish? Universal Studios Florida is adding "Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rock-It" this year, which has a music theme.

Imagine an iTunes sponsorship. Because all Apple products are smooth and sleek, and usually a bright color, the track would be repainted white, the supports a light gray. The trains would be floorless with a very attractive design. The waiting line would feature large HD-TVs, which could be used to advertise other rides in the park, play music videos, and, of course, advertise Apple products.

The ride itself, besides the floorless trains, wouldn't be too different in the day. However, one cool feature would be that guests would be able to plug an iPod into their seat to play their own music through the speakers within the head-rest. This could be a great idea, saying how many park guests bring iPods with them anyway. The iPod would fit in a pocket on the side of the seat. If a person does not plug in an iPod, regular music would play.

At night, the ride would transform into a much more exciting attraction. Fog/mist would cover the ground and large flood-lights would illuminate the attraction. The lights would change colors slowly, perhaps in tune with the music playing in queue/ride. Multi-colored laser lights could also be used, spinning in patterns and piercing the fog.

The attraction itself could remain the same length, the changes would all take place elsewhere on the attraction. It could prove to be a very cheap change that could bring in more customers and give Kings Island more attention.

I can't think of any iTunes-themed coasters out there.

iSpeed at Miribilandia??

LOL that actually isn't a, iTunes-themed ride, but it shares the same name format.

:lol: