Sign in to follow this  
TombraiderTy

Thoughts on the Haunt by TombraiderTy

I have visited Halloween Haunt four times this year and have finally done every attraction at least once, several multiple times (coughUrgentScarecough). With the experience I've taken from these visits :D , I decided to post my opinions on every haunted house, trail, and show I've now done. Enjoy, but take note- I am a very hard grader and a terrible speller. Information and opinions added afterwards are highlighted in green:

Outside Plaza- The area right outside the park entrance with the small displays and tombstones. The white signs with all the warnings look cheesy but are entertaining. The small cemetery set-up to the left is very well done and perhaps the highlight of this area. The many heads hanging from the trees in the center of the plaza, however, are perhaps the worst part. They not only look very fake but the black wires they're hanging from are easily visible in day or night. I also missed the lack of any past-ride vehicles, including Phantom Theater, Son of Beast, and Kin Cobra. Overall rating: 4/10.

Cemetery Drive- While a big improvement from last year's "The Cemetery", this "trail" still lacks a lot. It has few places for scareactors to hide and doesn't really hold a good theme. However, I did like the addition of the statues, all of which looked extremely realistic, and the addition of the new circular pathway segment in which separate scareactors continually tell you to go the other way. Overall rating: 5/10

Dead Awakening- Where to start... I loved this show last year, seeing it maybe four or five times, but was highly disappointed my first time watching it this year. The park has removed several scenes/props, including the wrecked car, while everything else has remained the same with no new additions. On my first night watching it, the employee controlling the spot-light was doing a terrible job. I would've given the show a bad rating had I not seen it a second time last night, which is when it was more enjoyable. The audience even applauded through-out the show, catching me off guard. My only remaining complaint is at the end of the show, when the stage lights return on after the ending, confusing some of the audience members on if the show is really over or not. Overall rating: 7/10.

International Street- I was highly impressed last year with the number of displays and scenes designed for this area of the park. While I should've known better, I expected equal this year, making me disappointed when many of the displays were returned. However, I am glad to see the three bodies hanging from the International Restaurant, the man in the electric chair in the entrance, and the Phantom Theater characters on the International Bandstand. With the audio playing, however, many park guests think the characters are going to perform something, leaving them standing there for at least a minute. I also liked the Knievel and Wallenda displays. Two displays I wasn't too impressed with were the Grim Reaper's house (his office was way better) and the laboratory scene that replaced it. Overall rating: 6/10

The Wasteland- Pathetic, pitiful, and just sad. Last year I counted it as a scare-zone, but this year... just wow. Much has been removed, including the trailer, and the atmosphere just seems so much less. I don't have very many good words for this attraction. I will say, however, the jeep crashing through the wall is a very nice touch. Overall rating: 2/10.

CornSTALKERS- I beg the park to just retire this attraction. It started off so amazing in 2005 and remained as good in 2006- up until they transformed it into a trail. 2007 sucked and 2008 isn't much better. Where the scareactors are coming from is predictable, the brightly-lit Drop Tower ruins the feeling of being in a secluded farm, and there were barely any scarecrows. While the addition of townspeople isn't necessarily bad, it's kinda sad when they outnumber the scarecrows. Plus, the barrels didn't really fit in with the theme. Since its transformation into more of a real trail, it has improved slightly. It still lacks scares, however.Overall rating: Formerly 2, now 3/10.

Club Blood- While not necessarily my taste, Club Blood features some amazing sets and a layout that can be quite confusing. It is also more understandable this year, minus the hospital scene. However, it just ended with a bartender calling me an a-hole (I do have complaints about this...) and being deposited outside. Almost all the scares were also from behind corners or created by making loud noises, all of which were very predictable. The motorcycle room, as well, did terrible at scaring. Both myself and three other people were already half-way past the motorcycles, easily visible in the semi-dark light, when the scareactor, aslo visible, turned them on. No major changes, a-hole-calling-monster no longer insulting. Overall rating: 7/10.

Action Zone- Most of Action Zone was The Wasteland. What was left was stalks of corn tied up to the fences and poles along the pathway towards Invertigo. Very disappointing. Overall rating- 0/10.

Ghouls Gone Wild- Bravo to the park entertainment staff for creating such an amazing show. Not only was it entertaining, but the small use of pyrotechnics and the character costumes added to the performance. I was also overjoyed to see the park had used some of the real stage in the Festhaus. While I wasn't way-too familiar with the songs, I enjoyed watching the performance. My only complaint, because I only have one, is that the mummy's costume wasn't very realistic and could've been dirtied up a bit. I mean, he has been rotting away for thousands of years ;) Overall rating: 9/10

Oktoberfest- Just like Action Zone, there wasn't much here to even rate on. Just some small displays, all of which were still better than Action Zone's. Overall rating: 1/10.

Massacre Manor- Perhaps the crown jewel of Halloween Haunt, Massacre Manor is a must-do at Halloween Haunt. Besides being one of only a few haunted houses/trails with an actual themed entrance, it had some great scareactors through-out and some equally great sets. The only thing the house was lacking was a well-told storyline. It does have one, the tale of Emily, but it could be better explained. I also noticed that scareactors usually tended to pick on me by blocking my pathway and mimicking my movements, which is entertaining. Not many changes, noticed a few things in lights-on-tour. Too dark to see most, however. On most recent time through, very disappointed. Overall rating: Was 9.5, now 9/10.

Urgent Scare- One of the better haunted houses this year, Urgent Scare uses some good scaretactics and has some amazingly created sets. The storyline is also very easy to understand and explains the whole attraction. However, I was disappointed my first time through. I had expected the park to thrive off common medical fears, including that of needles. Instead, the whole attraction was created from hospital rooms and the wrecked village. Other things noticed- the line is one long pathway that divides the midway and makes it difficult to pass through. Why can't the park just use some zig-zag queues like practically every other attraction? Or at least wrap the queue around the sides of the midway. The receptionist, inside the beginning of the attraction, deserves scareactors of the month no-doubt- my first time through, I decided to wait in that small room until a second group followed up behind me. During this time of about two minutes, she continued to play her role, talking on the phone and frantically typing on the computer. While she was doing this, I later learned a scareactor had been hiding behind a copier directly behind me. I didn't find this out, however, until we were leaving the room and she attempted to scare the people behind me. Seriously- you could've scared the crap out of me during those two minutes, yet you didn't? Both the best and the worst scareactors in the same room... what are the odds? I also liked how the park supposedly took your name inside the Action Theater queue, the mist you have to pass through leaving the building, and, in some areas, the attention to detail- the papers on the receptionist's desk were orders for medical supplies. The park went this far, despite the fact that very few people would ever see it. Most recent time through, I was very disappointed after waiting an hour and a half. Lack of scareactors. Overall rating: Was 9.5, now 9/10

Trail of Terror- I still miss the Psycho Path name :( Anyhow, Trail of Terror had some good scareactors littered through-out the whole attraction, along with those not-so-good ones. In the waiting line, a redneck scareactor played her role very well, despite the immature comments directed at her from some real rednecks behind me. Once inside the attraction, the fog blocked my view and provided a good opportunity for a scare, which never happened. They also replaced the smaller (and effective) scarecrows from last year with full-size ones, which are easily marked by the black squares they stand on. So it was obvious to tell which one was real, who I just bypassed. Other disappointments included the bungee guy not even strapped to bungee cords and the lack of talented scareactors. I enjoyed the exploding outhouse scene as always, however. I would also like to thank the chainsaw wielding maniac for at least trying to scare me. Overall rating: 8/10.

Death Row- The only reason I wouldn't want this removed is because it keeps people waiting in line for it instead of other stuff. But seriously, how could this thing have remained at the park for all these years while they've removed actual good haunted houses like Curse of the Crypt? It's a maze of chain-link fences and mirrors. And if you follow through on holding onto the person's shoulders on front of you, there's no point in getting lost since you don't have a clue what's going on. And for scareactors, I think I literally saw only three during the whole thing. None of which did a good job. Then there's the endless strobe lights.... oh jeez. It's no doubt the worst attraction inside the park, despite what rageofturtles may think. Overall rating: 0/10.

The Worksite- First off, this attraction made the same mistake as Urgent Scare by flooding the queue out onto the midway. At least part of it was in the zig-zags though... anyhow, it was very fun and an improvement from last year, especially with the ending that led you through the tunnel. I was also glad to see that the park had removed the annoying scares created from hitting large metal signs. The props and sets for this attraction are also some of the best. Not major changes, but body bags added into tunnel. Improved slightly. Very slightly. Overall rating: 8/10.

Coney Mall- So much potential... The colorful flags seem out of place, the tents have no next-to no purpose, the signs are very cheesy, and half the music played is very annoying. The other half, however, is decent. I did enjoy the freak skeletons and some of the displays and got a kick out of the new midway game, Knock the Head Off the Clown, but remained disappointed by everything else. Overall rating: 4/10.

Tombstone Terror-tory- It's better than last year. Much better. I can say that much. The scareactors also try, at the very least, to actually scare you. And the train breaking down is just a bit more believable. It only needs a larger variety of scares and some more sets. Overall rating: 6/10.

Red Beard's Revege- Argh! The lack of masks and replacement of make-up and face-paint on the scareactors helped out a lot. The first room is also very foggy and nice. The park also uses the props very well and hide the scareactors in some unpredictable places. One of the best haunted houses. Overall rating: 8/10.

Rivertown- There are some nice displays, but nothing too impressive. But the pathway between Coney Maul and Rivertown- what the heck? Halloween-colored lights and a few skeletons? Who designed this? Overall rating: 5/10

CarnEVIL- My personal favorite of all the attractions at Halloween Haunt, CarnEVIL contains so much of everything. The clowns are all a lot of fun, the smell in the cotton candy room is amazing, and the rotating tunnel is a nice touch. Everything being 3D is also very fun and disorienting. And the rooms where bubbles fell from above- I think I got too excited in those parts :lol: The ending was a bit lame, however- several doors and you have to find which one is the way out. It would've been great... had the correct one not of been marked with an "EXIT" sign above it... Most recent time through, EXTREMELY dispappointed. Lack of bubbles, clowns not enthuastic, under-staffage (one dot person, giant bear, and cotton candy lady were all missing). Plus we ran into the group in front of us, something that happened no where else that night. Overall Rating: 9.5/10.

Nickelodeon Universe- Um... I'm not sure if I should even rate this. Because the area is mainly just for CarnEVIL and to connect to Rivertown... but because I've rated all other areas, Overall Rating: 0/10.

Overall, this was an amazing Haunt, perhaps the best one we've had yet. While I did find faults, I highly enjoyed what the park created and am looking forwards to next year's even more.

Edited by TombraiderTy

I'm gonna have to disagree on Ghouls being better than Dead Awakening. Sure, the wrecked car wasn't there, but I didn't see anything else missing and the show was the same as last year.

I'm gonna have to disagree on Ghouls being better than Dead Awakening. Sure, the wrecked car wasn't there, but I didn't see anything else missing and the show was the same as last year.

The hanging scene. They replaced that with him being on a chair.

And at the very least, you have to admit the Ghouls Gone Wild was WAY more amazing that Dead Awakening's.

And TombRaiderFTW, I didn't find anyting fun or scary or entertaining in CornSTALKERS.

Edited by TombraiderTy

Did not go this year at all was gonna to take the kids to Howl-o-Fest or whatever it's called but didn't.Nice to read your reviews on the attractions the thing is money is tight right now I'm only spending on things that I need to live and can't splurge sad but true.

I think CornSTALKERS could be amazing. Universal Studios Florida's Halloween Horror Nights uses these guys to portray the flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz. They swing directly above you on wires, just feet above your head. I think CornSTALKERS could use this for the crows, while village people, scarecrows, and pumpkins portray other characters.

EDIT: And Halloween Horror Nights also sells these. It's alcohol put into little blood bags, something perfect to sell outside of Urgent Scare.

Edited by TombraiderTy

Being that i am a huge fan of kingsisland i did enjoy your info, however i was wondering.. My friends and i do plan visiting this year and wanted to go on saturday the 24th what are the crowds like? are they as bad as mid summer and is ride lines really long? thanks for all your info

^The park will have moderate to major crowds during the day. Between the times of Howl-O-Fest and Halloween Haunt, the park crowd will be minimum-moderate. Then once Halloween Haunt is in full-swing, it will be nothing but major. After 11PM, however, expect moderate crowds. Hope all that helps :lol:

I've heard Halloween Horror Nights is awsome anyway $7 Bucks is a lot of money for chicken leg that's a rip off.....Ghouls gone wild huh? They should have strip club with topless vampire chicks LOL :lol: ...RIIIIGHT!

Ty, thanks for the VERY thorough review...it will help me on this weekends trip deciding in what order to do what.

I was wondering, have you seen the decorations in Wings Fright Feast? Are they very gory? Can they be avoided if we are bringing someone young with us?

Thanks.

Being that i am a huge fan of kingsisland i did enjoy your info, however i was wondering.. My friends and i do plan visiting this year and wanted to go on saturday the 24th what are the crowds like? are they as bad as mid summer and is ride lines really long? thanks for all your info

i went the 18th... park was packed...i would expect lines to be longer then... where it is close to halloween.

Kings Island is highly expensive anyway. In the Outerhank's Halloween treats foodstand, a chicken leg is $7 :o
I've heard Halloween Horror Nights is awsome anyway $7 Bucks is a lot of money for chicken leg that's a rip off

Actually, that's not a chicken leg...it's a turkey leg. Just a little difference there. ;)

I've heard Halloween Horror Nights is awsome anyway $7 Bucks is a lot of money for chicken leg that's a rip off.....Ghouls gone wild huh? They should have strip club with topless vampire chicks LOL :lol: ...RIIIIGHT!

Ha humor is great. Image how much critizism they would get.

i went the 18th... park was packed...i would expect lines to be longer then... where it is close to halloween.

Yea Agreed I think that the park is most crowded on HH.

I will always love HH cause Halloween is my favorite Holiday. :D And really, my only complaint that I will mention is the fact that in alot, almost all, of the Haunted Houses seemed to get backed up where we would run into the group in front of us, and then it ruined the experience. This DIDN'T happen only in CarnEvil and Cemetery Drive, which improved alot. B)