TombRaiderFTW

Official Crypt Updates topic

I would like to see this video, because I highly doubt that those cheering were ordinary park fans. It was much more likely a group of amusement park enthuasists. Even if it was regular guests, it was probably opening day of the ride.

It was ordinary fans. Deal with it! I lived through my share of amazed riders as well. Like at LEAST twice I've heard someone so amazed with the ride that they're like, in that state of happiness where they're just overflowing.

I would like to see this video, because I highly doubt that those cheering were ordinary park fans. It was much more likely a group of amusement park enthuasists. Even if it was regular guests, it was probably opening day of the ride.

It was ordinary fans. Deal with it! I lived through my share of amazed riders as well. Like at LEAST twice I've heard someone so amazed with the ride that they're like, in that state of happiness where they're just overflowing.

=ME

Hey ill be at KI this weekend and I was wondering if the Crypt will be open? I have not been on The Crypt or (TR:TR) before. I know that it will probably suck but I still want to experience it. The last 5 times ive been to the park it has not been open. I have been on other top spin's and enjoyed them, but i know this isnt as aggressive.

It will most likely be open… It will only be closed if it’s for maintenance, in which case we really have no way of knowing… And it is just as intense as other Top Spins now, perhaps more so not only in intensity, but in being in the dark and with effect lighting. Like, how Space Mountain seems like a really fast roller coaster when in reality its top speed is 26 mph. accentuated only by the sheer darkness. Having no idea of what it used to be, I think you’ll really like it! It isn’t a bad ride at all in and of itself. It just pales in comparison to Tomb Raider if you prefer a themed ride over a thrilling ride. If you’d prefer a thrilling ride, you’d probably like The Crypt better, anyway.

I would say switching the bat on with about 6 days left in the season is a sign of good things to come. If they were tearing it down / giving up on it, there's no WAY this would be happening. And better a constant, fluid wing-flap and growl than that incessant robotic movement and screech from earlier this season. Yay Crypt!

... Did I just say "Yay Crypt?" Haha.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

Ahah really? A Q&A? Please do elaborate! And that's funny, because I actually sent an email to Kings Island (posing as someone who didn't know anything about the park, of course) saying "Where's all the Tomb Raider stuff? Are the icicles and triangle thing just sitting in a garage somewhere? Why don't you use them anymore?! Paramount doesn't own the right to lava or ice! And you have a big huge Hindu goddess relief with lightup eyes & fire and ice emblems, not to mention multi-million dollar theatrical lighting and effects! Paramount didn't copyright the lighting system or the fire and ice! You can't really have a huge 20 million dollar ride equiped with the capability to synchronize to music, with lava and ice effects, and a HUGE goddess relief and not use it... That's crazy!"

Haha. Something to that effect...

Someone just asked yesterday in the Fall Freak Out Q&A about The Crypt. Their main priority is getting it to run and to keep it running. They may extend the outside queue, however, since next year's exit path will be the same as it is this year.

Was the bat still working last night? When it opens it's wings does it scare a few people like it did at the beginning of the season? I always thought that part was funny! :D

So I've been thinking, if they did nothing to change the ride cycle AT ALL, but just reinstalled the icicles and lava and kept them both illuminated the entire ride, it would be okay! Like, all of the theatrical lights are turned on through the entire duration of the ride, anyway... And it WOULD be cool to be flipping around and keep seeing icicles whiz by overhead and lava pits underneathe... If they already have the multi-million dollar lighting, why not just keep the lights on the whole time like they are anyway, but leave the icicles and fire... Then, guests will see the illuminated goddess HOLDING fire and ice, and make up their own story... Like, they'll just think it's the goddess controlling fire and ice and they won't even consider that they're unrelated.

Also, we all know Cedar Fair has a thing for throwing that camo mesh crap all over the place (Which I don't understand... The wall behind the preshow goddess / bat is just a stone wall! What's to cover up!?! Just use the pre-existed lighting fixtures aimed at that wall to illuminate it red or something). So why don't they put some camo mesh in the ride chamber? I hate it, but it's better than those two garage doors and all those cans of paint and ladders.

Don't you just wish someone on these boards worked at Kings Island on like, the board of directors or just a higher-up? Because we have SUCH great ideas when we put our heads together. It sucks that we have one of the most unique Top Spins in the WORLD, a ride with MILLIONS of dollars spent on lighting, effects and sounds, a tremendous building structure that has limitless possibilities and a prime location to draw in next years huge Diamondback crowds. And it's underused! If we could just combine a Crypt-esque ride cycle with the themeing (or at least the same caliber of themeing) as Tomb Raider, we WOULD have a ride that would make Kings Island even MORE of a destination! It would be famous in the Northeast! Our potential is so high...

beforeandaftercn2.jpg

Also, lol at that ^^

And yet, alas, nobody here does work for Cedar Fair, or, at least, they aren't making a point to mention it. Naturally, that TR stuff probably won't be back next year, either, though that nifty netting probably will end up being thrown about the ride chamber, too. (Where is the TR:TR theming, anyway?) Mr. Helbig's statement that The Crypt of today is now The Crypt has really shut down my hopeful thinking. Of course, he did only say there were no plans for The Crypt, and there is a whole entire off-season for plans to be made, but, honestly, if they're not going to use the original TR:TR queue's switchbacks and are going to keep the crap-tastic exit line what it is, it's not looking like they're going to do too much to fill out this, should it come to fruition) brand-spankin' new queue that's going to cover up that cool, THEMED plaza of sorts just outside the entrance.

Cedar Fair isn't doing anything new with The Crypt for 09.

I have to learn to love a giant bat.

Screw this, I'm going to Holiday World.

Edited by TombRaiderFTW

I also agree that if they just put in the ice stalactites and the lava, and some good exciting LOUD music then it would be a HUGE improvement to the ride! Also turn the fog/ steam back on in the ride chamber. That would mostly cover up the garage floor and doors if there was thick fog in the chamber!

I haven't given up hope on The Crypt though. There have been multiple changes all through the year ranging from the bat turning off, then recently back on again. The fake flame effect in the pots infront of the bat, music that isn't techno lol! and various other things. I think if they put exciting music in it, then it would make the ride so much better! Even if it isn't timed to the ride, just something more than wind sounds and howling! Just like when the sound in TRTR was broken for a while, the ride SUCKED when there was no sound at all.

So basically, let us make this list of things that Cedar Fair can do. A simple mimimalization of the things we really want, keeping it inexpensive and basic:

* Fog in the ride chamber! A simple burst of fog from the fog machines which are already in the chamber would do wonders!

* The re installation of the ice and lava.

* The continued lighting of the Durga goddess (Even if she's not "active")

* Some kind of disguise from the true "garage" building.

* Music! I'm sure Paramount would be willing to sell the rights to the music for what, a few thousand dollars MAYBE? I mean, it's not as if they're ever going to use it again. Even desynchronized for the ride, the score is moving and exciting! (TombRaiderFTW can attest to this, thanks to me sending him the mp3 haha!)

And you're TOTALLY right, kjkjkj. Consider:

Crypt I: Pitch black. Techno music. Screeching robotic bat. Loading lights remain on through duration of the ride if any lights are used at all.

Crypt II: Lit by Tomb Raider's light fixtures. Bat at least left unmoving so it looks more like a statue (scarier than a robot). Howling wind noise during loading sequence, jungleish music during ride portion. At least it's a step up.

If these little improvements continue, things are going to get better. My advice that I would give to the Cedar Fair people free of charge?: Bring back Tomb Raider. But since that won't happen, I would say this: Paint the bat to look like stone. A statue of a bat demon that was eerily worshiped in a temple is scarier than a purple bat that moves robotically. Just reinstall the fire and ice. It would take one day of downtown to nail the icicles to the roof & hose in the lava pit and voila: A ride with something to look at. I mean, we have the lava pit and volcano, why not just fill them with water and smoke and orange lights, even if they're not "featured" (the ride doesn't hold you over them menacingly). I really do think it would be cool spinning around and seeing yourself get closer and closer to icicles. Use strobe lights and fog! They're inexpensive ways to disorient riders and disguise the building.

I would also have them Turn off that intercom thing! Every time I've been in line, there's horrible screeching noises. It's the employees with their "All clears" and stuff, but it's projected through the whole cave, and it's screechy and staticy! Totally destroys the atmosphere. Also, Turn off the lights in the ride op booth! Are you even serious?! The ride's line in itself is still really immersive. The cave hasn't changed, the antechamber still looks good, and the preshow room is still immersive save for the bat looking kinda dumb and that horrible snake on the stairs in front of it. After all that and the ability to maybe suspend your disbelief a LITTLE bit, you walk into a room with all these obnoxious lights on, garage doors, and a little lit up room in the wall. It ruins the effect.

I am still craving for Maniac Mine :D

However, the cheaper things in transforming The Crypt into Maniac Mine are all in the waiting queue. A waiting queue should never surpass a ride, because if it did, the guests will have much-too-high expectations for the ride.

Someone just asked yesterday in the Fall Freak Out Q&A about The Crypt. Their main priority is getting it to run and to keep it running. They may extend the outside queue, however, since next year's exit path will be the same as it is this year.

He also said the that the Crypt had been running more reliably this year than any other year, and that if it keeps running well they may do something with it...

Edited by Mav

So basically, let us make this list of things that Cedar Fair can do. A simple mimimalization of the things we really want, keeping it inexpensive and basic:

* Fog in the ride chamber! A simple burst of fog from the fog machines which are already in the chamber would do wonders!

* The re installation of the ice and lava.

* The continued lighting of the Durga goddess (Even if she's not "active")

* Some kind of disguise from the true "garage" building.

* Music! I'm sure Paramount would be willing to sell the rights to the music for what, a few thousand dollars MAYBE? I mean, it's not as if they're ever going to use it again. Even desynchronized for the ride, the score is moving and exciting! (TombRaiderFTW can attest to this, thanks to me sending him the mp3 haha!) [Thanks for that, btw. I still love it.]

*Paint the bat

*Turn off the screechy intercom

I still don't think they're going to do anything worthy of noting for 09, but if we're making a list...

*Use the switchbacks if they're gonna keep them, as the line quite frequently is outside the cave

*PUT THE EXIT LINE BACK TO WHAT IT WAS!

*Put the third row back in and, to keep the ride from ripping itself apart and to keep the third-row riders conscious, don't make the flips so freakin' intense.

*Honestly, how hard and how costly would it be to just have the Durga mural do anything? If she'd mutter in Hindu (using the OLD track from TR:TR, unless, by some stretch of the imagination, Paramount copyrighted the Hindu language) and, at the very least, light up her eyes, it'd feel like she was somehow controlling the ride. If nothing else was added but her voice, the ride would be infinitely better, as most riders expect her to do something. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Lookah that big face on the wall! What's that?" this season. And yes, all of them really have said "lookah". :P

Well, you have to remember, the switchbacks and old exit path had to be re-routed to accommodate Diamondback construction and crews, so who's to say they won't be back next season?

I still don't think they're going to do anything worthy of noting for 09, but if we're making a list...

1. Use the switchbacks if they're gonna keep them, as the line quite frequently is outside the cave

2. PUT THE EXIT LINE BACK TO WHAT IT WAS!

3. Put the third row back in and, to keep the ride from ripping itself apart and to keep the third-row riders conscious, don't make the flips so freakin' intense.

1. Diamondback has made that quite a challenge.

2. Why? Who cares if it's slightly different?

3. The intense flips is one things that makes The Crypt so much better than Tomb Raider: The Ride. Instead of hearing guys crying in pain in some boring parts, including the lava, everybody is now screaming and yelling as the ride flips, terrified and caught by surprise.

1. Use the switchbacks if they're gonna keep them, as the line quite frequently is outside the cave

2. PUT THE EXIT LINE BACK TO WHAT IT WAS!

3. Put the third row back in and, to keep the ride from ripping itself apart and to keep the third-row riders conscious, don't make the flips so freakin' intense.

1. Diamondback has made that quite a challenge.

2. Why? Who cares if it's slightly different?

3. The intense flips is one things that makes The Crypt so much better than Tomb Raider: The Ride. Instead of hearing guys crying in pain in some boring parts, including the lava, everybody is now screaming and yelling as the ride flips, terrified and caught by surprise.

1. I don't mean exactly like they were- there's a huge support in the way- but if they aren't going to tear them out, put them to good use! Once again, it's not that weird to see the line at least out of the cave.

2. I care, but this is just a personal opinion. I dislike the whole entry/exit setup we have now.

3. Once again, personal opinion. I like synched theming; you like sudden thrill. To each his own.

EDIT: Post count? 400.

Post count of posts where I express my opinion? 375.

Edited by TombRaiderFTW

So I've been thinking, if they did nothing to change the ride cycle AT ALL, but just reinstalled the icicles and lava and kept them both illuminated the entire ride, it would be okay!

The icicles were removed due to the fact that the ride would not be able to perform it's current cycle with them in the way. The lava pit is still there, just not filled with water.

Like, all of the theatrical lights are turned on through the entire duration of the ride, anyway... And it WOULD be cool to be flipping around and keep seeing icicles whiz by overhead and lava pits underneathe... If they already have the multi-million dollar lighting, why not just keep the lights on the whole time like they are anyway, but leave the icicles and fire... Then, guests will see the illuminated goddess HOLDING fire and ice, and make up their own story... Like, they'll just think it's the goddess controlling fire and ice and they won't even consider that they're unrelated.

There are many more lights located all over the building, many of those burnt out or quit working as the years went on and were never replaced. I'd hate to see what happens if you left the lights on the entire time, how quickly they would burn out, and how poorly they'd be maintained. Also, the whole "fire and ice" thing was required to be removed as it was a reference to Paramount Pictures property. It doesn't matter if people consider them related or not, the fact would remain they are.

Also, we all know Cedar Fair has a thing for throwing that camo mesh crap all over the place (Which I don't understand... The wall behind the preshow goddess / bat is just a stone wall! What's to cover up!?!

If you ever look really close, or had the opportunity to see that room with the emergency house lights on, that entire wall contained "stone carvings" related to the films and video games, all property of Paramount. That's why it was covered it up.

Don't you just wish someone on these boards worked at Kings Island on like, the board of directors or just a higher-up? Because we have SUCH great ideas when we put our heads together. It sucks that we have one of the most unique Top Spins in the WORLD, a ride with MILLIONS of dollars spent on lighting, effects and sounds, a tremendous building structure that has limitless possibilities

Please note that the whole computer program designed to make the ride sync up to those "millions of dollars spent on lighting, effects and sounds" was responsible for a lot of the downtime of the ride as Tomb Raider.

and a prime location to draw in next years huge Diamondback crowds. And it's underused! If we could just combine a Crypt-esque ride cycle with the themeing (or at least the same caliber of themeing) as Tomb Raider

They didn't maintain it the first time, why would they maintain it now? Especially with a company that has brought us and maintained the wonderful theming on disaster transport.

, we WOULD have a ride that would make Kings Island even MORE of a destination! It would be famous in the Northeast! Our potential is so high...

If the potential of Crypt was so great it probably would have had better results bringing people in 2002 that it would have been worth investing millions in to maintain it by Paramount, or if it was such a crowd drawer I'm sure Cedar Fair would have done more making it "The Crypt."

So I've been thinking, if they did nothing to change the ride cycle AT ALL, but just reinstalled the icicles and lava and kept them both illuminated the entire ride, it would be okay!

The icicles were removed due to the fact that the ride would not be able to perform it's current cycle with them in the way. The lava pit is still there, just not filled with water.

Where have you heard this? I would like to see a source.

Also, we all know Cedar Fair has a thing for throwing that camo mesh crap all over the place (Which I don't understand... The wall behind the preshow goddess / bat is just a stone wall! What's to cover up!?!

If you ever look really close, or had the opportunity to see that room with the emergency house lights on, that entire wall contained "stone carvings" related to the films and video games, all property of Paramount. That's why it was covered it up.

Were the carvings closer to the guests, all still visible, not references? Or were the ones in the back more detailed? (I don't ever remember seeing them, so that's a real question right there...)

and a prime location to draw in next years huge Diamondback crowds. And it's underused! If we could just combine a Crypt-esque ride cycle with the themeing (or at least the same caliber of themeing) as Tomb Raider

They didn't maintain it the first time, why would they maintain it now? Especially with a company that has brought us and maintained the wonderful theming on disaster transport.

Teehee... Disaster Transport, I regret spending 30 minutes in line for that... I don't even think it should count as a roller coaster either, but that's off-topic...

You made some good points, however, Dr. Steve!

Where have you heard this? I would like to see a source.

I know several people who were involved in the transformation of turning Tomb Raider: The Ride into "The Crypt." As for the lava pit, sit in the last row and as you board the gondola look behind you. The pit is still there along with the fake rocks. You can even see a line and different colors on the rocks where the water once was that washed away the paint on the rocks. The pneumatic mechanisms that made the "lava" "bubble" are still there along with many of the lights.

Were the carvings closer to the guests, all still visible, not references? Or were the ones in the back more detailed? (I don't ever remember seeing them, so that's a real question right there...)

The ones that used to be where the camo netting is now contained the triangular symbol seen throughout the ride and other symbols commonly found in the video games and films. These were the same symbols that were originally painted on the floor that showed guests where to stand, over time those wore away. The ones painted on the stones and engraved used the same flourescent lighting that once could be found on the statue in the ride chamber, and when the flourescent lights worked you could see them

Teehee... Disaster Transport, I regret spending 30 minutes in line for that... I don't even think it should count as a roller coaster either, but that's off-topic...

You made some good points, however, Dr. Steve!

Yep, Disaster Transport is a sad excuse for a "themed" attraction. I wouldn't get too excited about the Crypt getting themed. I'm with you guys though, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride when it was a heavily themed attraction. I rode it on it's media day, knew many people involved with it's design, and watched it deteriorate. It was a multi million dollar attraction perfect for a year round effects laden amusement park, not a season regional park with a season regional budget. Alas, there were so many things about that ride that just never worked right, the top spin itself for instance. It's too bad, but oh well. Take it for what it's worth today, one of the most unique dark ride attractions in the country. For most guests it doesn't matter what music or lights are on, the ride is entertaining. Keep it dark, keep it flipping, and they will come.

I must give kudos to that ride's crew though. They did a fine job this off season. So many times walking through the line I was startled by an employee climbing around in the area beneath the queue line. I always saw those kids picking up trash down there and every time they did it they would place the styrofoam rocks over the lights so that the guest could not see the lights from above. If any of them read this, your little extra touches have not gone unnoticed!

My problem with that is, there are Hindu goddesses EVERYWHERE in the temple pre-show. And a 70 foot goddess relief on the wall! How could freaking blue icicles be a Paramount reference, while the 70 foot goddess is not?! Also, I just tend to think that the icicles couldn't "get in the way" of the ride cycle... No matter how much faster or more flipping it does, the arms of the vehicle are x ft long, and that hasn't changed. So draw the vehicle as close as possible to the icicles and flip it as many times as you want, if it didn't hit them during Tomb Raider, it wouldn't hit them now (especially with the third row removed!)

Also, I don't know why anyone would argue this... It's undeniable that the ride needs work. If ANYONE at Kings Island google'd "Tomb Raider the Ride Crypt Kings Island", they would quickly feel pretty bad about themselves. themeparkcritic.com, dafe.org, themeparkinsider.com, ALL of them are filled with guest reports and various reviews... The jury is in: While some theme park crazies like us prefer the thrills, overall the GP LOVED the themeing behind Tomb Raider. No question.

And as for the lights burning out if they were left on... Duh... It's one of those things that REAL theme parks (Disney, Universal, etc) just have to deal with. Yeah, they do burn out. And then they get replaced. Like, daily. Disneyland repaints it's carousel each and every night. Granted, we're a regional theme park, but the ONE THING I was excited about when Cedar Fair came into the picture was that they'd handle the upkeep needed by Tomb Raider. I knew that Cedar Fair WOULD replace the lights and update the paint that Paramount had let disintegrate. And I was excited for that.

It's really not a point of arguement. The ride needs themeing. The Pro-Tomb-Raider's and the Pro-Crypts agree: It's not in a "finished" "award winning" state right now. The potential IS there. Attendence really did not dwindle for the ride. The line was out of the cave each time I went. Paramount was just famously bad at upkeep. So don't blame it on the attendence, because attendence was not a problem (which is evidenced by the fact that people STILL line up for it, even in its deteriorated state.)

Look, Crypt or Tomb Raider, the point is one day Paramount Studios in Dubai is opening. The first true movie park Paramount has owned. And it's already been announced that it will have a highly themed ride based on Tomb Raider. Well, there were four Tomb Raider rides (three are HUSS Top Spins -Granted, one is a Zamperla Windshear, but same idea - and one is a flying coaster). Now, I don't see a highly developed, Universal-Studios-esque Paramount park adding a random flyer, so I'm guessing we'll find a version of Tomb Raider: The Ride in 2011 when Paramount Studios opens. (: I'm holding out till then. So keep your dreary, dark, bat-filled Crypt. I have a golden-walled Tomb with Hindu goddesses to look forward to. (:

Additionally, visit technifex.com. Tomb Raider WAS in budget for a seasonal park. Very much so! Tomb Raider (ride, themeing, lights, music composition, queue, physical structure of the building, etc) cost 2 million LESS than Diamondback. While in some moods I'd argue that The Crypt is not unique, but simply like any other Top Spin with the lights off, I'm in an okay mood... So I'll admit that it's unique. I feel like commercials with Tomb Raider would've made it quite a destination. But in 6 years from 2002 to 2008, that "worthy of syndication" Tomb Raider was made into the sideshow attraction we call the Crypt... Really, it's not listed on lists of major rides, it's not popular, it's just THERE. It's like an experiment that went wrong. $20 million dollars worth of stuff (almost the equivalent of Diamondback) and it's now been reduced to a typical top spin that a carnival can get for very little money. The only difference is, it's a Top Spin in a garage.

Point is, light up the goddess, attach the icicles SOMEWHERE in the room, and fill up the lava pit. And honestly, it would be A MILLION times better. it would at LEAST be enough to make us Tomb Raider kids shut up. We'd be happy, Crypt lovers could be happy, GP would either be happy or not notice the difference (no negative) and everything would work out.

Many people say they building should just be removed so that it'd be outdoors now. The problem with this is that the riders are facing towards The Beast, an odd sight from the midway. However, if the seats were flipped around, something I don't see being too difficult, then the riders would face towards the picnic grove. This would make them visible from the midway and perhaps even allow for water jets to be installed. This would also mean the removal of the hideous building the attraction is housed in. They could keep the cave entrance and queue, no harm in that. Jus deposit the guests outside. And it'd be awfully cool to be flipping around as a Diamondback train whizzes right in front of you. Would I prefer something better, like Maniac Mine? Yes, but this would the best choice I see that's realistic. Although a GCI coaster would fit nicer in that area, diving down the hill behind the ride... :rolleyes:

Sorry, for so many quotes, but Korn I respect your enthusiasm, however, you need a dose of common sense:

My problem with that is, there are Hindu goddesses EVERYWHERE in the temple pre-show. And a 70 foot goddess relief on the wall! How could freaking blue icicles be a Paramount reference, while the 70 foot goddess is not?!

The Goddess is a religious symbol, one not trademarked by Paramount Motion Pictures, CBS or Viacom hence why it was not removed.

Also, I just tend to think that the icicles couldn't "get in the way" of the ride cycle... No matter how much faster or more flipping it does, the arms of the vehicle are x ft long, and that hasn't changed. So draw the vehicle as close as possible to the icicles and flip it as many times as you want, if it didn't hit them during Tomb Raider, it wouldn't hit them now (especially with the third row removed!)

When the stalactites were still there the ride did not perform a double top spin or reverse roll at the speeds it does now.

Also, I don't know why anyone would argue this... It's undeniable that the ride needs work. If ANYONE at Kings Island google'd "Tomb Raider the Ride Crypt Kings Island", they would quickly feel pretty bad about themselves. themeparkcritic.com, dafe.org, themeparkinsider.com, ALL of them are filled with guest reports and various reviews... The jury is in: While some theme park crazies like us prefer the thrills, overall the GP LOVED the themeing behind Tomb Raider. No question.

You just rattled off a list of enthusiast sites, enthusiasts HARDLY reflect the view of the general public. If that were true we'd be seeing new roller coasters built every year and attendance sky rocketing. Gary Story's Six Flags tried that, it didn't work. If the Crypt's theming was that important to the overall ride experience and if the ride did so much to bring in guests and revenue then I'm sure they would put more into it. The fact is, it does not.

And as for the lights burning out if they were left on... Duh... It's one of those things that REAL theme parks (Disney, Universal, etc) just have to deal with.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention the past few years, but since June 30, 2006 (when Cedar Fair L.P. acquired Paramount Parks) Cedar Fair has labeled Kings Island as "Kings Island Amusement Park," not as a theme park. The past few years the emphasis has been on families at Kings Island, not themes. Cedar Fair has made it quite clear they are not trying to deliver a product similar to those offered by Universal or Disney.

Yeah, they do burn out. And then they get replaced. Like, daily. Disneyland repaints it's carousel each and every night.

Disney is also a much larger company than Cedar Fair, operates on a year round basis, has investments and properties in other industries and takes in much more revenue. They can afford such things.

Granted, we're a regional theme park, but the ONE THING I was excited about when Cedar Fair came into the picture was that they'd handle the upkeep needed by Tomb Raider. I knew that Cedar Fair WOULD replace the lights and update the paint that Paramount had let disintegrate. And I was excited for that.

How did you know? Did they make a press release about that? They didn't. So far Cedar Fair has done a great job re-emphasizing landscaping and aesthetics. In a company that is now worth less than what it originally paid for the former Paramount Parks, a few extra lights in an attraction that does NOT play a large role in bringing in guests, is not a priority when money can be spent elsewhere.

It's really not a point of arguement. The ride needs themeing.

The ride has theming and the ride seems to be getting along fine. I sincerely doubt Kings Island is losing revenue or guests over what you call a lack of theming on The Crypt.

Edited by Dr. Steve Brule

The Pro-Tomb-Raider's and the Pro-Crypts agree: It's not in a "finished" "award winning" state right now. The potential IS there.

Sure it is, but it's not a priority when money can be spent elsewhere.

Attendence really did not dwindle for the ride. The line was out of the cave each time I went.

How would you know without seeing actual attendance numbers by year to year? I'm not saying I do know, just pointing out that your statement is wrong because you do not have the information and have no idea what you're talking about. Keep in mind just because a line is long does not make it popular. The dispatch times could have changed, a row of seats was removed, downtime could have increased. Judging a rides popularity by how you occasionaly see the line is stupid.

Paramount was just famously bad at upkeep. So don't blame it on the attendence, because attendence was not a problem (which is evidenced by the fact that people STILL line up for it, even in its deteriorated state.)

Here is where you prove my point. Even in what you call a "deteriorated" state, people still ride it, obviously the theming is not a big factor.

Additionally, visit technifex.com. Tomb Raider WAS in budget for a seasonal park. Very much so! Tomb Raider (ride, themeing, lights, music composition, queue, physical structure of the building, etc) cost 2 million LESS than Diamondback.

Yes construction costs were, but then comes the problem of maintaining the thing which costs were very high and after time things were even removed due to state recommendations and park policies (such as the sparks that used to fall from the ceiling).

While in some moods I'd argue that The Crypt is not unique, but simply like any other Top Spin with the lights off, I'm in an okay mood... So I'll admit that it's unique. I feel like commercials with Tomb Raider would've made it quite a destination. But in 6 years from 2002 to 2008, that "worthy of syndication" Tomb Raider was made into the sideshow attraction we call the Crypt... Really, it's not listed on lists of major rides, it's not popular, it's just THERE. It's like an experiment that went wrong. $20 million dollars worth of stuff (almost the equivalent of Diamondback) and it's now been reduced to a typical top spin that a carnival can get for very little money. The only difference is, it's a Top Spin in a garage.

Point is, light up the goddess, attach the icicles SOMEWHERE in the room, and fill up the lava pit. And honestly, it would be A MILLION times better. it would at LEAST be enough to make us Tomb Raider kids shut up. We'd be happy, Crypt lovers could be happy, GP would either be happy or not notice the difference (no negative) and everything would work out.

Whether you shut up or not, obviously the ride is doing what the park wants it to do and the park is content with it's performance. Truthfully, just because a few fanboys complain on the internet, the park doesn't care, they have bigger things on their mind. Even if you completely gutted the Crypt and restored it to its former glory recent trends in regional parks have shown such an attraction does not have the marketing appeal they once thought.

Many people say they building should just be removed so that it'd be outdoors now. The problem with this is that the riders are facing towards The Beast, an odd sight from the midway. However, if the seats were flipped around, something I don't see being too difficult, then the riders would face towards the picnic grove. This would make them visible from the midway and perhaps even allow for water jets to be installed. This would also mean the removal of the hideous building the attraction is housed in. They could keep the cave entrance and queue, no harm in that. Jus deposit the guests outside. And it'd be awfully cool to be flipping around as a Diamondback train whizzes right in front of you. Would I prefer something better, like Maniac Mine? Yes, but this would the best choice I see that's realistic. Although a GCI coaster would fit nicer in that area, diving down the hill behind the ride... :rolleyes:

Ty, I agree, an outdoor Top Spin could be quite the fun ride. However, with The Crypt it would be much easier to just buy a new top spin. The reason is this: The Crypt is designed to operate within the building. The ride's program from HUSS operates simultaneously with the "show" or effects program from technifex. (obviously both have been altered over the years). The ride's program is tied into the building and works with the building. If certain emergency doors are opened or pressed, the ride stops, etc. Things like that. The Giant Top Spin at Kings Island is specifically designed to work within the environment and building surrounding it. It would probably just be cheaper and more feasible for Kings Island to tear it down, purchase a new one and place it on the former Flight Commander pad. I don't want that though, cause I doubt they'd tear down the building, probably keep it for storage or turn it in to some half-ass haunted walkthrough.