Sign in to follow this  
GoodYellowKoRn182

Universal's Kings Island?

Certainly, I'm in the group [minority/majority?] who are fed up with Cedar Fair's hold on the park. A company with no themeing and no desire to go the extra mile to acquire any rights to any trademarked movies certainly doesn't have the whole best interest of the park at heart. We all know that Cedar Fair is never going to do their best work with Kings Island. Why would they? To cause competition for their beloved Cedar Point?! Of course not. So Kings Island will always be second best, and will always be forced to operate without any specific & thorough themeing.

Well the good news [in my opinion] is, many people have predicted that Cedar Fair will sell the park in the next 5-10 years, because really, things are changing in a way in which the negatives are equal to the positives, which simply doesn't get anyone anywhere. Let's hope it goes to a park that isn't afraid to deal with buying the extra copyrights & themeing. Hasn't Universal needed a park in the middle of the country anyway? They have one in the extreme southeast and one in the extreme southwest, so why not here in Ohio? Kings Island certainly has the makings of a resort! "Universal's Kings Island." :)

It could be part of a whole resort! "Universal's Kings Empire." It would be wonderful. Now there's a park that would go the extra mile for good themeing, and would definitely not be afraid to buy a few movie rights. Or, think about it: How hard would it be to change the Shiva statue in "Tomb Raider" to a pharaoh. One who controls the water & ice of the Nile and the fire from the sun god. And voila, Return of the Mummy: The Ride. And I'm sure all the roller coasters would have nice names again. We can only hope! And Universal DID buy a pre-existing park once already with Port Aventura in Spain... It's not like it would be impossible!

So what are your thoughts? What would change, what would happen. No matter how much you like or dislike Cedar Fair owning the park, you have to admit Universal runs equally clean, thrilling parks, but ALSO runs parks with themeing and immersion. It's worth a thought!

That would be pretty cool to have the themed rides return. But I don't think "Kings Island" would fit anymore. I would change it to "Universal's American Adventure" or "Universal's Midwest Adventure" or something like that. I would like to see Top Gun/Flight Deck get new theming.

That would be pretty cool to have the themed rides return. But I don't think "Kings Island" would fit anymore. I would change it to "Universal's American Adventure" or "Universal's Midwest Adventure" or something like that. I would like to see Top Gun/Flight Deck get new theming.

Agreed I think the name would definatly change I wouldnt like that also Flight deck needs an edit or need to be removed for somthing else.

Cedar fair is not going to sell Kings Island because the main reason they purchased the Paramount parks in the first place was to acquire Kings Island. Dick Kinzel said numerous times that he loves Kings Island very much and is excited that he finally acquired the park. Don't count on Cedar Fait to sell Kings Island anytime soon.

Cedar fair is not going to sell Kings Island because the main reason they purchased the Paramount parks in the first place was to acquire Kings Island. Dick Kinzel said numerous times that he loves Kings Island very much and is excited that he finally acquired the park. Don't count on Cedar Fait to sell Kings Island anytime soon.

It's more of a speculation thing. What would it be like if Kings Island was owned by a really famous and great company that could really put it on the map and make it a flagship of northeastern United States parks.

"Well the good news [in my opinion] is, many people have predicted that Cedar Fair will sell the park in the next 5-10 years, because really, things are changing in a way in which the negatives are equal to the positives, which simply doesn't get anyone anywhere."

I was commenting on that ^. I did not know it was a hypothetical thing, but personally I think cedar fair has done a nice job with the park so far.

It's more of a speculation thing. What would it be like if Kings Island was owned by a really famous and great company that could really put it on the map and make it a flagship of northeastern United States parks.

Then every thing would have huge lines. No thank you. I like that Cedar Fair has the park now. Cedar Fair's business in amusement parks, they are going to cannibalize their only business.

TTDfreak

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster freak

Then every thing would have huge lines. No thank you. TTDfreak

Even so, Universal has a way of getting you into the story even BEFORE you get on the ride. They do this while you are waiting in line... Take the Amazing Adventures Of Spider-man ride for example... it looks like you are walking through the Daily Bugle. You feel like you are in the story even before you get on the ride. I have never waited less thn an hour for thi ride... each time I was completely satisfied.

Dueling Dragons constantly wins awards for best queue house... it's over a mile long... my favorite place to wait if i have to wait more than an hour. Even though, the line typically moves quickly since there are two tracks.

Dudley Doo Right's Ripsaw Falls is another example of a ride well worth the wait.

I think Universal could pull it off... I think the Mummy theme would work out really well for the Crypt.

I just want the park to have more B&M coasters. we are on our way... we have one coming next year.

Okay first off let me say this much some of you may have only seen & visited ki with paramount attached as the owner while some of us know the park the way it is now... I remember growing up in the in the mid to late 80's & all the 90's only having and seeing Hanna-Barbera Land as the only well themed part of the park and all the HB characters greeting guests there was no Spongebob back then, there was no Dora or Rugrats only Scooby-Doo & Fred Flintstone,Yogi Bear heck I remember Sunshine Turnpike some of you prob don't even know that is I remember the HB cuts along that ride,I remember when they had smurfs sitting on the park benches,I remember waiting in line for King Cobra when first opened because my parents and uncles wanted to ride it I was only 2 1/2 at the time.. I remember the Salt Water Circus and when the beastie was known as Scooby-Doo....

Paramount took over when I was 11 years old I remember when the Green Slime Zone was added my point is I like the way it is now I just don't like the way CF has renamed the rides or what used to be TR:TR I'm happy without movie themed rides but I wouldn't care if Universal did buy the park because then I wouldnt have to travel so far to ride a certain ride themed to a cetain movie about dinosaurs. ;)

Actually, GoodYellowKoRn, I like that idea. If Cedar Fair could at least HUMOR everybody and buy at least ONE license, then I'd love them to death (even IF that license wasn't TR:TR's). But the fact remains that they've killed the, for lack of not-weird-sounding words, magic of the rides. There's absolutely no point to anything; you just stand in line for HOURS all for 30 seconds of pure thrill, and then go on your way to the other million miles-long lines. If Universal would at least try to put SOME kind of story to the rides- whether movie-themed or not- then I'd totally and completely be for them buying the park.

So basically, all you Cedar Fair fans can go to Cedar Point and wait for hours to get on Maverick and get the crap beat out of you by the restraints (plus see totally random lights that have NO point whatsoever) for all I care. Universal for the win.

^You may get your wish but I think it's a license you may not care nothing for and thats the Nick license.

I definitely wouldn't consider the Nick license a "themeing" tool. I'm talking about immersive rides with unique music & settings. If anyone's ever been to like, Universal's Islands of Adventure, the queue line IS part of the ride. Poseidon's Fury: Escape from the Lost City is a show (yes, JUST a show, not a huge record breaking ride) that takes place in an ancient, crumbled temple with enormous statue pieces strewn about outside.

header_poseidon.jpg

It really is only for a simple show, which is most likely the least popular attraction in that whole park. It's the sort of thing Tomb Raider: The Ride went for when it first opened. It was always described as a 20 minute "experience". The ride part was simply the climax of the richly detailed, immersive queue, which had it's own music, architecture, and a film that synced with light effects. The rolling doors, the light patterns on the walls; it was all part of an overall experience. Something Cedar Fair doesn't have in any of it's parks (except perhaps Disaster Transport at Cedar Point, which everyone considers laughably terrible haha.)

Buying the license only to Top Gun, FACE/OFF or to the Italian Job would show that Cedar Fair cares and does want to please it's return customers. It's not like they're going for billions and billions of dollars. No one's arguing over who gets Top Gun. The licensing for it is simply unused! Simply being able to change the name back and play some stupid music in the queue would, I think, bring about a LOT of change in the rides acceptance. It may even surprise Cedar Fair how much it can do with a little licensing. They thought they could buy a park like Kings Island (which relies heavily on names & themeing) and then not purchase the licensing to go along with it? Well that was their mistake. It's like buying Islands of Adventure and then not buying the rights to Universal movies.

I know exactly how Cedar Fair would handle it too. Jurassic Park River Adventure would be "Dinosaur River" and The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman would be "Superhero Adventures". Oh God, I can see it now. Hahha. "The Revenge of the Mummy" becomes "Return to the Crypt" and "Jaws" because "SHARK!" Hahaha.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I don't mind the poor theming, I mean, it's probably better, even with the negatives, that cedar fair has acquired us. At least now we will get some coasters of higher thrill. But if anybody were to buy us. I'd want the people that own Holiday World. I mean, no offense to the racer and such. But, they have really good wooden coasters, and sorry to all you people that love SOB. But, I think it's pointless to ride now, since the loop is gone, and the horrible pacing after the Mid-Coaster-Brake-Run. If they tore that down, they could easily make a second generation of the Voyage, with all the space that they have back there. I don't know just would be cool, I think Kings Island needs a better woodie, and Voyage easily takes #1 for woodies and on my top 5 overall.

I don't mind the poor theming, I mean, it's probably better, even with the negatives, that cedar fair has acquired us. At least now we will get some coasters of higher thrill. But if anybody were to buy us. I'd want the people that own Holiday World. I mean, no offense to the racer and such. But, they have really good wooden coasters, and sorry to all you people that love SOB. But, I think it's pointless to ride now, since the loop is gone, and the horrible pacing after the Mid-Coaster-Brake-Run. If they tore that down, they could easily make a second generation of the Voyage, with all the space that they have back there. I don't know just would be cool, I think Kings Island needs a better woodie, and Voyage easily takes #1 for woodies and on my top 5 overall.

Sounds like a plan. KI could have a lot of world class coasters, but no, we have to have trim brakes everywhere. That is one thing that Holiday World does not have, and that would be the best thing for KI. Look at the new pace of Red Racer for example. They might as well just stop it in the turn around and get it over with. They stop or almost stop most of the other coasters in the MCBR anyway. I really think that CF would be better off going someplace else and ruining their coasters.

Uh as much as I hate the trim brakes they do help. Do you really want rides like the Beast crashing when they are coming in to the station to fast and the brakes are wet or are not 100%. Also how many trim brakes have Cedar Fair added?

Cedar Fair has done an excellent job with Kings Island. They are bringing Kings Island back after Paramount ruined us

I'm not sure what the big deal is about having movie licenses for rides. In my experience, usually when a ride becomes tied to a movie one of two things happens:

#1. The ride sucks because the park overemphasizes selling the movie instead of providing an entertaining or exciting ride. (see Tomb Raider)

#2. The ride is good and the movie license is completely non-essential to this fact, reducing it to a cheap marketing ploy. (see Top Gun, Face/Off, Drop Zone)

After reading all of your comments and complaints it seems like your main problem is not that you want your rides associated with movies, its actually that you're just bored while standing in line so you want Cedar Fair to spend money on fancy queue line theming. Also, I don't think anyone here has given the company enough time to even attempt what you're asking of them.

One thing I found to be glaringly absent from this discussion is the wonderful job Cedar Point did with the theming on Maverick. It directly enhances the ride experience and is also pleasing to look at. The western songs playing in the line are also quite fun. Who's to say the new ride currently being built at our park can't be just as great?

Yea I guess your right with them not really owning us long enough to be judged in such ways, I just hope to see a better wooden coaster in the next 2-4 years.

I'm not sure what the big deal is about having movie licenses for rides. In my experience, usually when a ride becomes tied to a movie one of two things happens:

#1. The ride sucks because the park overemphasizes selling the movie instead of providing an entertaining or exciting ride. (see Tomb Raider)

#2. The ride is good and the movie license is completely non-essential to this fact, reducing it to a cheap marketing ploy. (see Top Gun, Face/Off, Drop Zone)

Can't forget,

#3. The themeing is good, but the ride is a complete copy off of another ride. Of course, I guess this applies with Six Flags more.

Taft Brodcasting was actually a subsiderary of CBS. The company, of course, built the park to replace the now "living-dead" Coney Island next to Riverbend. KI was opened with a majority of it's rides from Coney Island. From my understanding (and u all can correct me on this if i'm wrong) Taft also owned Coney Island at the time of shut down. Anyway, Taft owned the park until 1992 when Paramount came into the picture and bought the park. Then, Viacom brought out Paramount in the mid-late 90's. So, either way u silce it, KI was owned by CBS from the begining. This is the first time that Kings Island has been owned by someone else other than a big TV network.

As far as Cedar Fair owning the park, I haven't really fallen in love with the park again just yet. All the ride names are now "Cream of Lame", the changes to the rides are BLAH, and I have to agree that KI will probably be 2nd place from now on to Cedar Point. After all, to the Cedar Fair exces, Cedar Point comes first. If u think about it, Cedar Fair actually has an monopoly on the state of Ohio because they own three of the states 5(?) parks (this is counting Six Flags and Coney Island).

Back to the Universal thing, I'm happy they didn't buy out the park because that's askin' for long lines!!!! Another positive to Cedar Fair owning KI, be thankful that Disney didn't buy out the park when it entered the real estate market because, well, i think we all know wat would happen then.

"IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL...."

You mean of course that Paramount did not buy the park from Taft. Taft did own the park until KECO was formed to buy its interest....

And Six Flags does not own any parks in Ohio....and hasn't for some time now.

Edited by The Interpreter

You mean of course that Paramount did not buy the park from Taft. Taft did own the park until KECO was formed to buy its interest....

And Six Flags does not own any parks in Ohio....and hasn't for some time now.

Thanks you all for correcting me on this. I really appriciate it.

Okaaaay...

#1: It wasn't that it was movie-themed; it was that it was REALLY well-themed. The movie tie-in was irrelevant; it just gave the builders a pre-designed theme, rather than them trying to come up with one themselves. (e.g. Adventure Express- not saying that's a poorly-themed ride, but if they put hard work into theming it into an Indiana Jones-esque ride, couldn't you see it being a bit better?) And I totally and completely beg to differ on the "The ride sucks... instead of providing an entertaining or exciting ride" part- you DID get on Tomb Raider: The Ride, right? NOT The Crypt. There's a huge difference. Even if you don't like top spins, you gotta admit- it was at least a LITTLE exciting.

#2: Okay, yeah, you got me on that one. I could care less about the movie name on those ones.

in my opinion i think that the movie names dont matter. the ride is the same no matter what the name is. i also work at the crypt and admit since they took out the story its not quite as exciting but its still a cool ride. cedar fair just aquired the park so they havent had much time to retheme. paramount is the ones who put the ancient temple in a mining town themed area. so give cedar fair a couple years.