McLovin

MEMORIES

Leave a memory of Kings Island that you will never forget. A memory that you cherish and wish to share. Maybe it was your first time being tall enough to ride rides like the beast, or vortex, etc. MAybe you had a good time with family or friends! Leave a memory here to share with others!

My first trip to Kings Island was several years ago. I had never been, but had heard horror stories about how long the lines are. I instantly fell in love with KI, though it took me a while before I could rank it as my "home park." I was still just getting over the loss of Americana at the time.

The first thing I remember seeing was the fountain. You get to the point where you take it for granted, but there is something really impressive about that fountain. I notice it more at the first of the year than any other time. After that, it's just something that's there on the way to The Beast, or on the way from somewhere to somewhere.

My first ride at KI was on the Eiffel Tower...and then...my first ride on The Beast. There was a small shower that day, coincidentally while we were in the Action FX Theater. Other than that, it was a flawless day with only light lines in most places. It's something that I'll never forget...ever!

Long live the King!

I was deathly afraid of heights, the dark and especially roller coasters as a kid. When we went to Kings Island, you had to drag me onto The Beastie. I loved the Jabber-Jaw ride and that was about it. As I got older I rode a few more of the exciting non-coaster rides, but always came up with an excuse to avoid the coasters that scared me so much.

When I was 14 I finally got a date with a girl that I was totally head-over-heels for (and she was UBER hot). She wanted to go to Kings Island and there was no way in hell that I was saying no. We got there and rode some of the basic rides (ViKings Fury, Scrambler, etc.) and then she said "Let's go ride the Vortex." It was one of the first years that it was at the park and it was by far the scariest looking thing ever for me. My reply: "That would be awesome!"

So, as we walk to the ride I am kicking myself for saying "awesome" and not working my way up to the Vortex through the Racer or something. But, she held me hand on the way to the line and she was hugging on me the whole time. I was pretty stoked.

I'm a tall guy (almost 6'6" now, about 6'1" then), so it was a squeeze to get in. I hope that my palpable fear was not obvious to her, but I never asked. I was sweating, but it was a July afternoon, so I guess that was expected.

As we were released from the station, I almost wet myself. Then, we got stuck before the first hill. "Great," I think. They announce that they are going to "push" us to the chain, but that they need a couple more guys so "Please hold on." I was not liking that...delaying the inevitable, but my date leaned over and kissed me and we passed the time in the back car.

Eventually, these guys showed up and literaly PUSHED us to the hill. Apparently there was some kind of problem with the track expanding in the heat, but they closed it for a couple of hours after we went through.

Once I stepped out of the car I was hooked. We road nothing but coasters for the rest of the day and it was awesome. It was my best date EVER, until I met my wife that is.

I was in the same boat as some people when iwas little( not likig heights and all). People literally had to drag me to get on a rollercoaster or big thrill ride. I was a plain out chicken. That ended on opening day of the 2007 season.

My friends were all hyped up about going too kings island on the opening day of 07. I wasnt. The ride there even made me sick. We had a plan to cut a few people an gun it towards the beast. we did just that and were the first GUEST too ride it that season.

The rest of the day was nothing but FOF and Delerium and vortex. I only skipped DZ. I was so happy with my self at the end of the day. It was by far, an everlasting memory.

Another favorite memory was riding SS and XSF. XSF = me peeing my self. That was a scary experience.

I have 20 years of memories from which to recall, and only this one still is relevent to everytime I visit KI.

The year that Adventure Express opened I was extremely excited because this coaster was supposed to be themed with tunnels and my uncle erroneously commented that it was supposed to go underground. As a kid these kind of things would set my imagination flying. Most of the school year was spent drawing various possible layouts for AE, all of them including massive underground chambers which held inversions and themed elements like lava and giant snakes. I built this ride up so much that I don't think anything could exceed my expectations, basically I was setting myself up for dissappointment. Cut to June of that year and Kings Island had its flower display designed with the Adventure Express logo. I passed on Hanna Barbara land and the Beast, two things I never did up until that point, and headed straight for AE. The line was long, the last time I would ever see that, and after a half an hour I was on it. Well, I saw the snakes of the first tunnel, passed over the "lava" of the third tunnel, and was enjoying the ride. I noticed there were no huge subterranean inversion chambers and that kind of sucked but oh well. "I wonder what is gonna happen in this last tunnel?" To this day words cannot express how angry the ending of AE made me....hell, I STILL get pissed off! I will never understand why, after a suspense-filled lift hill filled with castoff props from Legends of the Hidden Temple, why the hell did the designers end the ride with a right turn into the brake run?!? I understand the fact that the station and the end of the ride were at differing heights because of the location, but come on!!! My memory isn't clear but I probably uttered one of my first swear words when we hit the brake run. "Where's the f**king drop?"

Anyways, I hope that every year the owners will add a final section to the ride. And every year, as I pass by the worn down and somewhat non-functioning temple guards, my hopes are dashed by the frightening right turn at the end. On a positive note though I have grown fond of the ride over the years because it is a fun coaster at night when all the effects and lights are on. I realize that most people have the same reaction at the end of Adventure Express and I probably just need to get over it already...but I had such high hopes for what it could've been.

One more thing...does anyone remember a game that was located near the Kings Mills Log Flume? Back when the walkway to Waterworks was next to the log flume, there used to be a game that consisted of a row of air powered "guns" that shot small rubber balls at targets and small boats. The boats were big enough for 2 or 3 people to get inside and drive around a small pond and each boat could shoot balls at targets also. I barely remember it and I am probably not explaining it right.

One more thing...does anyone remember a game that was located near the Kings Mills Log Flume? Back when the walkway to Waterworks was next to the log flume, there used to be a game that consisted of a row of air powered "guns" that shot small rubber balls at targets and small boats. The boats were big enough for 2 or 3 people to get inside and drive around a small pond and each boat could shoot balls at targets also. I barely remember it and I am probably not explaining it right.

The floating tanks? I remember those, but have had absolutely NO luck at finding photos of it.

Everybody hates the Adventure Express ending, all the time when I ride it I always hear: "That was it?" and "They should have a drop after the tunnel!"

I was over exicted about Tomb Raider like you were Adventure Express. When you could see its construction in 2001 from The Beast's queue, one of the first things constructed was teh waiting line- and the buildidng it was in. I was not the only one who thought a thrilling roller coaster would hurtle through these caverns, dodging blasts of fire and twisting through inversions. However, I wasn't able to be slightly disappointed until 2004 when I finally reached the height requirement (I still keep my point though, it's the best non-roller coaster attraction there). I still believe it could've been much better, but my original thoughts of it remain better than anything that Paramount could've created.

The Floating tanks...

That's the name!! Yeah, I don't think any pictures exist online. After posting I remembered that there used to be "bombs" that hung from the ceiling of the game structure and if you hit one a hose underwater created a depth charge-like explosion. Damn, floating tanks. I can see the sign in my minds eye...thanks!

And another thing, a game on Coney Mall used the same air powered ball shooters. Only you shot at various moving targets and I don't think you won anything. I always thought it was a waste of money. The building is right next to the scrambler and is now a Spencer's kind of store that sells band t-shirts and stuff.

Edited by Futant462

I have alot...

I remember in the late 90's we would only go to KI once a year. I wasn't tall enough for the 48" ride til' 2001, and the 54" rides til' 2003. But anyways, My mom, sister, Mom's best friend Jill, Jill's son Andy and daughter Ashley always went once a year together. Everyone but me and Ashley were tall enough to ride everything. Back along time ago I loved going to Kings Island with hope I'd grown tall enough the ride Vortex and King Cobra but got turned down every year. I remember when everyone loved Face/Off and it had an on ride photo, We waited the whole queue and more just for it. I never got to ride it with the on ride photo but I remember while I was in the kiddie coral I thought the flash was sparks from the train derailing. For some reason my family always rode Face/Off in the rain... Everyone hated Drop Zone so we never rode it (I wasn't tall enough.) My sister loved King Cobra but everyone else hated it. I don't remember much about it but it's logo, seeing tall grass while waiting in line, and seeing it's loop. Sadly I never got the chance to ride King Cobra cause I wasn't tall enough until 2003 when it was already removed.

When ever Son of Beast was open we always rode it. Everyone in my family loved it, but hated Beast cause it was too rough. I wasn't tall enough to ride SOB it til' it's second season, but I was terrified to ride it and chickened out until 2003. The reason I was so scared is because my sister told me the train always fell off the loop and if you were lucky you'd land in the net they had under it. Of course being 8 I believed it. When I finally got the courage to ride Son of Beast in 2003 I loved it and rode it a few times per visit. When I was finally tall enough for Drop Zone I also chickened out til' 2003. I remember my first ride on it, I talked to my friend Dillon the whole ride to distract myself from the height. But when I got off I always wanted to reride.

I honestly never knew about Top Gun until about 2004 when Son of Beast was closed and I noticed Top Gun's sign and got in line to be shocked it was a coaster. My mom thought TG was The Bat and so she never road it cause she said Bat was painful. I liked Top Gun alot, but only rode it once per visit for some reason. Same goes for Adventure Express. I could of ridden it in 2001, but I didn't ride it until 2004 cause I never knew what it was. I can't remember my first ride on AE, but I probably didn't like it at the time cause it's a smaller ride.

I rode Racer alot, and it was always one of my favorites. We always rode Backwards, I really never rode frontwards until 2008 I think... Monster was my favorite ride until I rode the coasters, after I rode the coasters I kind of forgot about Monster...

Flight of Fear... Everyone hated it yet they always rode it until about 2001. I remember when they got on and I wasn't tall enough. I'd see the train launch and think the flash from the on ride photo was sparks, and the noise was the ride crashing. Than when the empty trains came back I freaked out and thought everyone died. My sisters ears always started bleeding on it with the OTSRs so they stopped riding it in 2000. After 2000 none of us got near FoF til 2003 when I found out I was tall enough for Face/Off so I wanted to ride FoF. By 03' the lap bars were added, but none of us knew this til' we got on. After my first ride on FoF, everyone loved it with the new restraints and changed their opinion about it.

Whenever my Mom would go ride Vortex (She is the only one who would ride it cause everyone else was scared and I wasn't tall enough.) For some reason I always though Vortex was a restaurant and I got mad cause I couldn't go eat there... :lol: When I finally got to ride in 2001 I was kind of scared. I was only 8 and wasn't an enthusiast and didn't know much about coasters but for some reason I remember seeing Vortex as a B&M floorless... But anyways, my sister chickened out on Vortex and tried to make me not get on saying she imagined I was going to die on it... I still rode and loved it. It was my favorite coaster at Kings Island until 2004 When I rode Son of Beast.

I got to ride Face/Off in 2003. I liked it alot and it was one of my favorite coasters at the time. My sister rode Face/Off since 1999 but this time she chickened out saying she imagined me dying on Face/Off too, that didn't stop me though.

I got to ride Flying Eagles a few times when I was little. I would ride by myself, cause no one else liked it I guess. I was only 11 and didn't know how to snap, I think... But my mom got really scared watching me on it saying the cables were snapping, so I guess I did snap? I was really sad to come to Kings Island in 2005 and find it gone, but at the same time I was excited for Italian Job. I remember the first time I rode IJ:ST it was pouring down rain and the park was empty. The ride was closed for an hour or so but we talked to employees the whole time. I was thinking the launch was going to be as good as Top Thrill Dragster for some reason (I just rode it the summer before.) I was really mad that it was a family coaster, and was even more made Flying Eagles was gone.

I never liked Beast until probably 2006. I would ride it but thought it was too rough and got headaches. I remember riding Kenton Cove in 2000. In 2001 it was closed. Than in 2002 it was gone and there was this brand new ride. We went to Kings Island on Tomb Raider's opening day in 02'. I didn't get to ride until 03' though. Everyone in my family liked it alot and was telling me how amazing it was. Than when I rode it in 2003 I didn't like it. I liked inversions, but at the time didn't like hangtime. I didn't ride it again until 2005 cause it was always closed. Than when I rode it in 05' I liked it alot more for some reason.

I have alot more in depth memories but I'm really tired, and I'm sure no one would read them all so I'm not going to write them.

When my brother was finally tall enough to ride the king Cobra in 2001 they had already shut the ride down. Each previous year he was just not tall enough to ride it.

I would have to say my best memories were probably from about '75. We went when my folks were still together, and it became a once a year event. Learning to drive by practicing with the antique cars and the other car attraction knocking the hell out of each other at dodgems (much different than it is now), and riding Zodiac-now that was a scary experience. Only being held by a chain....and then the best thing they ever had, enchanted voyage.

I remember riding the cloggers one year, and it was hot as hell that day-kinda like today. I was dying of thirst and dad says...here drink some of mine. Without looking, I take a big swig of beer...now back then, ladies didn't spit or any of that-so I looked both ways, turned my head and spit it out in the bushes. I thought he was gonna choke from laughing. That was the tops :D And who could forget riding Beast without seatbelts and headrests in the later years?

Next best memory I have is 1985 right before my sister went in the service. We hung out that whole summer and had a blast. We tore King Cobra up all summer, and glad we did before I got married the following year. By the time I came back, it was gone....

I could probably think more if I really sat and put some effort into it, but you get the point.

Edited by kwindshawne

aha, i wish i had time to read all of these. But mine would be me and my dad riding the beastie.... i was so little, and yet i remember it.

I have so many memories, but the one I remember the most was in the mid 90's. My mom, step-dad, grandma and grandpa went. I was an only child and always rode the rides by myself.

Well, I talked everyone to riding WWC. It was hot that day and we waited around 2 hours to get on the ride.

I'll never forget the look on my grandma's face when she saw the dip and all that water splashed on her. Then at the end alll the people shooting us with water from the overlook. I took a picture of all of us as we were going up the hill to get off.

I'll treasure that forever all of us laughing and haveing a blast.

My grandma died in 2001. But I'll always have the memory of white water canyon with me and the picture.

R.I.P mammaw I'll always love u!

I've always remembered Kings Island as the first place I really got into roller coasters. I was a tall lanky teen who weighted about 75 pounds. I remember getting being afraid to ride Top Gun. Top Gun was unlike any coaster of it's time that I knew of because it had no track below it. I laugh now but it was awesome then. I remember I was dating this girl who was a tad bigger than me to put it nicely and she seemed to tower over me in my memories. She says lets ride Top Gun and I was like no way I'm afraid of heights and it doesn't have track below it. Her reply is we're riding this ride and I was not going to argue with her because of the fear of getting crushed. So we get in line with the real cool movie pics and highway to the danger zone playing and I remember thinking wow I'm going to die. We get seated midway through the train, and then we were off. Oh crap, oh holy crap, Oh crap. I remember the clack of the chain and then getting to the point where the track below drops off and as we were coming around towards the drop and I see a deer at the top of hill. I was like how cool is that, and then we whoosh by it down the first hill and I remember thinking this is the coolest ride ever. It was fast and fun and exciting. I remember the paint being new and it being the ride at the park. I went back this past week on Wednesday with my wife because she suggested we ride it. The paint was worn off and the theme was all but gone, and we walked right on. There were these 2 teens who told me how they rode the ride a record 21 times in a row, and I laughed. When we got to the top of hill they said they had a tradition of saying yippee K yah in salute to the old Top Gun theme and I found my self shouting with them as if to raise a glass in tribute to the ride that was my first real roller coaster.

Edited by Gump80

my best memory derives from the two day trip i had with my best friend this summer. it was the first day we were there and we had stayed all day ( it was a tuesday ) and although the park was crowded we still managed to get in a good amount of rides on Diamondback. we decided to try and marathon it at night even though the line was a bit hefty. well, the park was getting ready to close and we decided to do one last ride on Diamondback. we worked our way through the line and we boarded the train in the last two seats. neither of us knew what to expect seeing as id never ridden in the very back before and nor had she. we were dispatched up the lift and it was as dark as could be out and the fireworks were going off. already it was magical. i mean here i was on my favorite roller coaster at night with fireworks going off next to my best friend in the entire world. we went down that drop like a bat out of hell and already i knew the back seat is where its at. we made our way around the course and when it came to the final splashdown our arms got wet from holding them up. it was so funny. we got off smiling and feeling great. it was definitely both our favorite ride we have had on it and after 32 rides on Diamondback, that is the one ride i hold dearest to my heart. it couldnt have been more perfect. :)

ah so many memories of KI--I remember being a happy kid riding everything in Hanna Barbera Land,taking pictures with my favorite characters, I loved enchanted voyage and the smurfs. I also became a huge fan of Phantom Theater later in my teen years. I remember my first two ever and only rollercoaster rides. I remember screaming and cussing on the Adventure express after my family lied to me and we whipped out of the station. I also remember my first and only ride on the racer(forwards). My now ex wife talked me into riding at least one coaster and I got to pick. Although I think we did ride AE that day we got on the racer. She loved coasters and had her hands up going up the hill. I had my head down and got a bad feeling in my stomach with every click going up the hill. She said open your eyes and dont look down and you will be fine. I looked over the side going up and the people got smaller and smaller. I looked at her and said we are all going to die! She said well what a way too go! I was scared going down the first hill with the feeling of going down the hill fast but after that I enjoyed the rest of the ride. I remember riding WWC about dark about 8 times in a row and then freezing to death on the way home! I really like KI's layout and landscaping, the fountains and the pizza just breath taking! especially at night.