Sign in to follow this  
xVekomax

If the Bat were still here...

So, this is something I've always wondered...but if the Bat were still here today and operational and what not...do you think it would still be a fairly popular attraction? Lets just say it didn't have all those mechanical issues and that it ran the way it was intended with all that wild out of control swinging. Even though this may be hard to determine, seeing many of us never rode it because it was either closed or some of us, like myself, weren't even born yet; I still would like to see what you think. Sure, with today's coaster giants and with new attractions every year some coasters can't hold a candle in the wind over the years, but would the Bat have held its place? I personally think it would still be fairly popular being that it would be in one of those locations that just stands out. I mean I think thats one of the reasons the Vortex gets so many riders is because of its location. It stands out. Of course despite what many think, I myself think its a great coaster and a fun ride. Then again with rides like Firehawk in place now, who knows, the Bat might be a dud, but something tells me if it were still here it would be a fairly popular coaster still.

I think it wouldnt be as popular because

a) We wouldnt have vortex

B) Wed have TopGun as well

But I do think it would be more popular than TopGun because of TopGuns legnth (sp?)

Actually, if it wasn't for the Bat failing, we probably would have never gotten TG. I think TG was sort of a second milder try for a suspended swinging coaster at KI.

Edited by kjkjkj

see, the whole part to the left is cut off, and were there two lift hills on The Bat? thanks for the pic though SHOX

Edited by kjkjkj

I think I rode Bat twice...it was kinda jerky and not that enjoyable. At the time it was one of a kind, and that is what made it so popular. Top Gun is much smoother, and similar..the only problem is it is not long enough. I liked the design of the cars on Bat and wonder what ever happened to them. I know one of the heads was on Ebay last year, but not sure where anything else is. Anyone know?

Yup they scrapped the bat ..now it is shredded iron and metal.

:ph34r:

Where is it currently sitting now? Somewhere in the wood near the Beast? I don't really know. But I don't mean to sound like a bio or recycle guy but why not recycle The Bat or any defunt roller coasters and melt the metals/steel and make a new coaster from it? That would be cool. "The Bat" spirit will come back mysteriously... *evil laugh* :ph34r:

I got to ride the Bat 8 times the last day it operated. It was a cool ride but every rough. I'm finally getting most of my video's transfered to DVD and I found a gem as in a rare video from the park just after the ride was completed. You could hear the metal bang from the swing on the side to side parts.. I did post a video of the ride here on the website for those to view. A Arrow promo. video and a kids world news clip.

Mark

Edited by Coasterdad

I know I wouldn't be the only one here, but I would love to see that video of the bat that you talked about. Finding Bat footage is rare, the only one I've seen was the brief promo that you posted before.

I never rode the bat but remember watching it everytime I went to Kings Island. The Bat was the first "modern" suspended coaster. I say "modern" because I believe there were earlier suspended coasters. Yes, the Bat had some extreme turns on it where the cars swung out 90 degrees. The problem with the Bat was this: The track was almost level going around some of those extreme turns and therefore wasn't banked properly. So with the track not banked properly the cars had to bank themselves by swinging wildly out around the turns. With the cars swinging wildly all the time I think this put a lot of wear on the shock absorbers and bearings where the cars swiveled. And not to mention the crazy wild ride you got from the cars swinging back and forth. Look at the way the track on the BAT was banked and compare it with today's suspended coasters. Due to all this wild swinging back and forth, I don't think the BAT would be very popular today, unless you like to get tossed around a lot, in which case you'd love it!!!!!!

Edited by Trackwalker