Sign in to follow this  
ahank

Top Gun

i didnt personally see the effects in top gun, but my best friend did. she said it was really neat, like a little carrier inside. it had tons of theming, along with little model airplanes and whatnot. i have never even waited for top gun before, ive always got on in one or two trains if that... the que sounded really cool though...

Or like I said before...how cool would it be if they redid Top Gun to look like the Bat? haha. I know they wouldn't but hey that would be pretty awesome. I think as long as that coaster gets back some sort of theming that would be great. I still love the ride though. Short as it may be, it is one of my fav rides.

Did ANYONE ever get to see the light/fog effects back when it was new? If so, were they cool?

Yes, they were VERY cool. I remember that the big fog machine in the back of the station was activated by the dispatch buttons and that employees would hold their buttons long after the train was gone just to fill the station with fog. Most of the themeing is still there, with a pressure washer and a lot of new light bulbs, the area could be opened in theory. The only thing missing is most of the missiles have been taken from the display cases, I believe one is left in the case and one is in the rides closet. Oh well, under Cedar Fair it will never happen so whatever.

Oh wow...that sounds like that was pretty awesome!!! I really wish I got to experience that. I guess I just find it a shame to spend all that money on theming and not upkeep and use it. I'm sure if they ever did decide to bring back the effects it would make the trek back there to ride it a lot more worthwhile for some. I mean I enjoy riding Top Gun so its not a problem for me, but adding that little extra spiff would make it that more enjoyable. If they can spend money on fog for Iron Dragon, they should do the same for Top Gun!

When did they stop using the effects?

I like Top Gun lots, but as with about everyone else, I do wish it were a longer ride.

I kept hearing rumors a year or so ago that the ridership was so low that they may remove it completely, but you don't seem to hear that talk anymore. One of my friends did bring up a good point the other day though... "These kids don't even know what Top Gun is. They need to rename it and retheme it to some movie they actually know."

*shrug*

P.s. - is there anywhere that you can actually get the ridership numbers for the rides? or is that info not released? Would be interesting to see how many passengers each ride carries for a season or daily.

I like Top Gun lots, but as with about everyone else, I do wish it were a longer ride.

I kept hearing rumors a year or so ago that the ridership was so low that they may remove it completely, but you don't seem to hear that talk anymore. One of my friends did bring up a good point the other day though... "These kids don't even know what Top Gun is. They need to rename it and retheme it to some movie they actually know."

*shrug*

P.s. - is there anywhere that you can actually get the ridership numbers for the rides? or is that info not released? Would be interesting to see how many passengers each ride carries for a season or daily.

I know that on the Cedar Point website they have the number of riders per year for the coasters. An example is Wicked Twister, see below.

2006 1,041,160

2005 939,323

2004 1,044,581

2003 1,100,583

2002 1,024,232

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/ride...ister/index.cfm

It'd be nice if they released the statistics for other parks too. ;)

Yeah I like to compare the years, see if it dropped or lowered.

And if they brought back the effects on Top Gun, it MAY, but still a slim chance, not suck that much. I mean, it'll still suck, but not as much.

Yeah I like to compare the years, see if it dropped or lowered.

And if they brought back the effects on Top Gun, it MAY, but still a slim chance, not suck that much. I mean, it'll still suck, but not as much.

I agree, only except the sucking part. I think it would make it even cooler! Especially at night!