Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Son of Beast Reopens Today

Get this. I take a special trip to Kings Island just to try out the new and (hopefully) improved Son of Beast. I liked the loop, but I think this is an improvement regardless. Anyway, I wait an hour, get one two spots away from riding and it breaks!

I'm so lucky I live close, or I would've been really freaking angry. ;)

Also, did the winking smiley change? It used to look sort of angry, but now I love it!

I want to know how you felt anything on the New Son of Beast?? I rode it this past sunday, cause there was no wait to ride it, and now I know why. It has been tamed. The ride is too smooth. It was so smooth, I was able to hang my hands out of the front car the whole time and they never moved. So, I rode it in the middle and back and still nothing.

Bring back the loop and the old cars so that we can enjoy what a real "woody" is like, not a lame stock of wood.

I want to know how you felt anything on the New Son of Beast?? I rode it this past sunday, cause there was no wait to ride it, and now I know why. It has been tamed. The ride is too smooth. It was so smooth, I was able to hang my hands out of the front car the whole time and they never moved. So, I rode it in the middle and back and still nothing.

Bring back the loop and the old cars so that we can enjoy what a real "woody" is like, not a lame stock of wood.

Are you sure that you rode the same ride that most of us has riden? SOB is horrible especially at the new part of the track and the final helix. All of the ride is rought. Its sad that the racer feels smoother then SOB. I will not be riding it again.

Are you sure that you rode the same ride that most of us has riden? SOB is horrible especially at the new part of the track and the final helix. All of the ride is rought. Its sad that the racer feels smoother then SOB. I will not be riding it again.

You are absolutely right. My experience when I rode the ride on reopening day 7/4 was horrible. The ride was worse than it was before they made the repairs. Please see my previous quotes on this topic as I don't wish to be repetitive.

Wow... I really can't believe what I'm hearing. I rode it sunday with a friend three different times. All three times were considerable better all around. I rode in the red train twice and the blue once, each time in a different seat. My friend and I were amazed. She absolutely loved it. (she wasn't too keen on the idea of riding at first.) I found it smoother than the Beast and the Racer. IMO recaR is a bit smoother. Honestly if the ride holds up I see it sticking around for longer than I previously thought.

To support this I bring up this fact. Upon the arrival of each train back into the station there was something I rarely heard in the station; Cheering and clapping from the riders. Even the operator commented on how he loved the smiling faces over the station intercom.

Also props to the crew they were great sunday. Loved the story about how they caught SoB last year in outpost five. Also mentioned that after being caught he received surgery to try to tame him. Then he continued on about how he escaped again from his crate and it was our job to board our test vehicles to find THE SON OF BEAST! (All of this while they were loading and unloading.) He also went over specs top speed 80mph?!?

I have ridden it 4 times now and 3 out 4 times it was the smoothest wooden rollercoaster I had ever been on. The 1 time I thought it was rough I was in the 2nd row, which I have read on here is a rough seat for whatever reason.

Son of Beast does not now attain, nor has it ever attained, 80 mph.

Nope...

I have heard from a fairly reliable source the ride now does 72. Oddly, the spiels also still claim it is the tallest (which it is) and fastest (which 72 would NOT be) wooden roller coaster.

I found it quite odd the ride operator said it... but as loud as it was in the station I could have missed a few key words. Perhaps he said nearly? I just hope it gets to keep the title of fastest.

I have ridden it 4 times now and 3 out 4 times it was the smoothest wooden rollercoaster I had ever been on. The 1 time I thought it was rough I was in the 2nd row, which I have read on here is a rough seat for whatever reason.

That is exactly where I was sitting when I rode it and experienced the severe pain in my ribs.

I also can say it's a rougher ride in the second car. However with the old trains it was very very rough in that seat. It must be the jackhammering effect in that seat.

It does seem wierd though that the back is smoother then the front

I rode SOB the other day, and probably will never ride it again... I didn't think it would be much better than it was in the past. My first ride was in the front right of the blue train. I thought It was a LOT smoother. Then I waited for the back of the same train so I was in the back car front right corner, beat me senseless. WORST WOODEN COASTER EVER!

It does seem wierd though that the back is smoother then the front

I rode SOB the other day, and probably will never ride it again... I didn't think it would be much better than it was in the past. My first ride was in the front right of the blue train. I thought It was a LOT smoother. Then I waited for the back of the same train so I was in the back car front right corner, beat me senseless. WORST WOODEN COASTER EVER!

Do you mean you were sitting in the second row of the train or the very back of the train? I was in the second row and felt like my ribs had cracked.

I have another thought. As you know a wooden coaster train is several cars chained together. Each individual car on the beast and racer is made up of three rows while the new SOB individual cars are 2 rows each. When you are sitting in the last row of any individual car on a wooden coaster you are going to get a rougher ride than the interior rows. It has something to do with physics. I met a physics teacher on physics day at CP and he explained to me that this was true. I cannot remember what his explanation was.

For those of you who have loved the new SOB and think it is a smoother ride: Where were you sitting on each individual train, row 1 or row 2? I have the same question for those of you like me who have hated it. It is just weird that many of us are so split on this issue,ie, the smoothness of the ride.

First ride for me was in red train 6-1. (Sixth Car first row). Second ride was in red train 1-1 (First Car first row). These two rides were pretty good except for a little roughness in the bottom of the rosebowl. 3rd ride in blue train 2-1. (Second Car, first row). I felt a lot more roughness here, but nothing really unbearable at least to me, but I did notice a difference here.

Edited by PKIVortex

I found the trains to be a big improvement--even riding in the back of a car. What I found to be senseless was patching the loop area with a flat stretch of track instead of something fun (like an airhill) and slowing the ride to an unreasonable extreme with that stupid trim brake.

Edited by dare-to-fly