Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Photo Feature: Son of Beast Testing (With Riders!)

Earlier today, Son of Beast was sighted taking test laps around the track with the new Gerstlauer trains. However unlike previous testing, the ride was carrying several people in the bright red vehicles today.

Eleven photos have been uploaded showing the test cycling this afternoon, as well as two photos clearly showing the riders taking the refurbished ride for a test spin.

Click Here: Son of Beast Testing Photos

Sweet pics. It looks like they are a seat belt, like we didn't know that was coming. In the other pics of the empty train though it looks like they are not retractable.

It looks like you can tell where they modified the trains at. Look at the back of each car there is a moon shape cutout where it looks like the wheels were at one point. I mean not on SOB.

One of the major problems among many with the old SOB was how cramped and uncomfortable the trains were. Those new trains remind me something of the Magnum trains at CP-they appear to give you a very comfortable ride with lots of freedom of movement. I am looking forward to trying what appears to be a new, improved SOB. Did you notice if they had three trains on the track or just two?

well, for KI's sake i hope that things are going well. I see that the decals are on the train. Could it still be opened by next week?

I hope so i will be at the park Monday and Tuesday so hopefully i can ride it and with the restraints and the bar in front of you that acts kindve like a mini headrest it reminds me of the trains on Adventure Express.

Actually the trains look similar to the trains on the Gemini at CP, which are very comfortable and give you freedom of movement.

Lets not talk about that yet...

I just don't want to see anyone else get hurt.

You really dont like SoB do you! I've read your comments over at KIC and now here on these boards SoB isnt going anywhere the new trains are smooth & comfy so relax noones gonna get hurt unless they do it to themselves.

Think Happy.Be Happy.

It's great to see that SOB is testing. Bummer it couldn't have tested this past Monday when I was at the park, but the important part is that it's testing. I'd love to get down to Kings Island once it opens to go and ride it. In the picture of the train with the test riders in it, was that picture taken at the end of the ride, or in the beginning? Either way, the looks on their faces kind of bother me, they don't look very happy. :( I'm sure it'll be great when it opens, though. I can't wait! I might go to Kings Island next year instead of Cedar Point.

-Joe

You really dont like SoB do you! I've read your comments over at KIC and now here on these boards SoB isnt going anywhere the new trains are smooth & comfy so relax noones gonna get hurt unless they do it to themselves.

Think Happy.Be Happy.

I'm all for them reopening it. My comments from other threads are mainly about that I never rode it before when it had its loop because of the lack of OTSR. I LOVE the beast and if the SOB becomes reliable and proves itself then I will consider riding it. I just wonder how much more money they will sink in it. Like i have heard on here before, with the money that was spent to build it and build it again they could have built more coasters then this one.

With the accident occuring right after Cedar Fair had assumed control of the park and completed the transaction I'm sure CF looked at all their options and having just taken on a 2.3 billion dollar pay load for the purchase of the Paramount Park chain you better believe they thought more than twice about sinking more money into SOB. Even with how much theyve spent on new trains, repairs, insurance, etc. it was probably found to be more economically feasible than just tearing the thing down. Son Of Beast is the largest wooden structure in the world, tearing it down would not be cheap nor quick nor easy and then having to dispose of it would cause other problems. You cant just take a wrecking ball to something that big, atleast not untill later in de-construction.

Think Happy.Be Happy.

I'm all for them reopening it. My comments from other threads are mainly about that I never rode it before when it had its loop because of the lack of OTSR. I LOVE the beast and if the SOB becomes reliable and proves itself then I will consider riding it. I just wonder how much more money they will sink in it. Like i have heard on here before, with the money that was spent to build it and build it again they could have built more coasters then this one.

If there was OTSR, and they had to leave them on, this ride would be closed within the first year. Think about the Beast. Try riding it, and leaving your head perfectly straight. Imagine if your head moves, you will be in pain. Now times that by 5, and you have SOB.

And the loop was glass smooth. I didn't ride it the first few years for that exact same reason (OTSR). But when I rode it, I hated loops at the time. I closed my eyes leaving the break run to enter the loop. After about 15 seconds, I start to wonder why we aren't in the loop yet. I open my eyes, and behold, I'm upside down.