Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Kings Island stops ride (Drop Zone Closed Indefinitely)

Source: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...EWS01/306220021

Kings Island stops ride

BY WILLIAM A. WEATHERS | BWEATHERS@ENQUIRER.COM

MASON – An accident at a Louisville amusement park ride Thursday in which a girl’s legs were severed has prompted officials at Kings Island to shut down its similar Drop Zone Stunt Tower ride.

A 13-year-old girl’s feet were severed above her ankles while on the popular Superman Tower of Power ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.

The Kings Island Drop Zone ride is one of five across the country that will be shut down so the parent company can conduct a thorough inspection, Craig Ross, Cedar Fair LP vice president of marketing, said this morning.

The five rides in amusement parks Cedar Fair owns around the country were manufactured by the same firm as the ride at Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville, Ross said.

The Drop Zone ride at Kings Island “is similar, but not identical” to the ride at the Louisville amusement park, he said.

There’s no estimate on how long the Drop Zone ride will be closed.

“We won’t compromise the safety of our guests,” Ross said.

Ross noted that all Kings Island rides are inspected regularly. “We inspect every ride every day.”

The Drop Zone ride, which opened at Kings Island in 1999, is described as the world’s tallest gyro drop.

The ride spins riders around a 30-foot ring of 40 seats that encircles the drop tower to a height of more than 26 stories, and then drops guests in a 67 mph freefall.

The Drop Zone, the park’s highest point at 315 feet, was shut down twice in the first year it opened in 1999, according to previous Enquirer reports.

The drop tower was shut down for a week that July after it was struck by lightning. Two weeks later, park officials closed it through the end of the season as a safety precaution after a child was killed on a similar ride at Paramount’s Great America in Santa Clara, Calif.

No problems were found with the local ride, Kings Island officials told the Enquirer at the time. The ride opened the next season with improved safety restraints.

Ross said it is common procedure to shut down similar rides when an incident happens elsewhere in the country. In general, visitors to the park will not be told much detail about why the Drop Zone is closed, Ross said.

If patrons take the step of going to guest relations, they will be told that the ride has been shut down as a precaution.

“We’re really not going to go into much more detail,” Ross said.

More than 4.4 million riders have ridden the Drop Zone at Kings Island since 1999.

i think that CF was smart in closing all those rides. i read somewhere that intamin said somethin to CF to close those rides until they figure out wat happened at six flags and re-inspect the rides to make sure they dont have problems with the cables so that this doesnt happen again. :stretcher:

Also remember that per Ohio state law, parks must follow a ride manufacturer's exact order. It seems Intamin put out a stop order for the towers, so KI cannot reopen it until that order is lifted.

Also remember that per Ohio state law, parks must follow a ride manufacturer's exact order. It seems Intamin put out a stop order for the towers, so KI cannot reopen it until that order is lifted.

Intamin requested the rides be closed and inspected before being reopened. The State may or may not also require the ride be re-certified before reopening.

Whatever it takes to make sure this doesn't happen again. I find it a comfort really. I love Drop Zone and I hope it opens back up soon, but its good to know they are taking extra care to make sure its safe for everyone.

^ Really? As for DZ I was told that it uses magnets I think I was giving some wrong info however I dont care if I was I dont care for DZ anyway it scares the crap outta me!

Edited by TRexRage1993

That is correct. It uses cables to pull the ring of seats with the catch car up the tower. You goes really slow while it's going thru the brakes but once you clear the brakes it picks up speed. You can see 2 cables on each side of the tower, for a total of 4 cables.

The good thing about Drop Zone, even if you hate it. It always seems to have a half hour wait. That means that people aren't in other lines, thus their shorter. At least thats my philosophy.

Another good thing is if you're hot every few minutes you get a real nice breeze after the ring falls or if that doesn't work your always just a few steps away from Congo Falls

from what i read on rideaccidents.com they are saying that Itamine, sorry on the spelling, said that SFKK hadn't bought parts from them since the ride was installed and that if cables were replaced they didn't sell them to them.