Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Firehawk Opens Saturday, May 26th!

Now You Can Fly! Firehawk Flying Roller Coaster Debuts Saturday at Kings Island

Kings Island’s first flying coaster sends adventure-seekers soaring!

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – NOW YOU CAN FLY!...at Kings Island beginning Saturday (Memorial Day Weekend) as the park celebrates its 35th anniversary with the much-anticipated opening of Firehawk, the park’s 14th imaginative roller coaster.

Firehawk, the innovative flying roller coaster, propels riders 115 feet in the air and through five inversions at speeds of more than 50 mph – all while the riders are facing the ground, giving them the inconceivable experience of human flight.

To celebrate the opening of Firehawk, Kings Island is giving away special commemorative Firehawk T-shirts to the first 2,500 riders each day from Saturday May 26th through Tuesday May 29th.

The new Firehawk roller coaster is located in the Coney Mall themed area of the park. After boarding the coaster, riders are lowered backward to begin their ascent up a 115-foot-tall lift hill, only to be flipped over and jetted at top speeds through ½ mile of steel track over the course of 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

Also opening Memorial Day weekend is the park’s Boomerang Bay, one of the greatest water parks in the Midwest. Gates for Boomerang Bay open at 11 a.m.

This Sunday, May 27, is also the last chance to buy 2007 Gold Season Passes at a reduced price and with the free Gold Pass benefits. For more details, visit www.pki.com or call (800) 952-PASS [7277].

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: “FUN”) is a publicly traded partnership headquartered in Sandusky, Ohio. The Partnership, which owns and operates twelve amusement parks, five outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and six hotels, is one of the largest regional amusement park operators in the world. Its parks are located in Ohio, California, North Carolina, Virginia / District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Missouri, Michigan, and Toronto, Ontario. Cedar Fair also owns and operates Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure located in Las Vegas, and operates the Gilroy Gardens in Gilroy, California under a management contract.

# # #

---

For our latest photo update of Firehawk preparations and testing: Click Here

For our video of Firehawk testing as of May 18: Click Here

Remember at the beginning of March, how we all said they would never make it in time? Glad to hear it finished on time. Can't wait to ride it.

Remember at the beginning of March, how we all said they would never make it in time? Glad to hear it finished on time. Can't wait to ride it.

Do you know if they will have early ride time for gold pass holders?

The only early ride times you are going to find this weekend are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Boomerang Bay. NO early ride times in Action Zone this weekend

The only early ride times you are going to find this weekend are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Boomerang Bay. NO early ride times in Action Zone this weekend

I meant early ride times for Fire Hawk.

Edited by markr

i highly doubt on firehawk since it is its opening day becaouse the maintnence crew is probably going to test as much as they can until the park officially opens so they know for sure everything is running right and the trains will make the cycle all the way through.

Theres a few reason's. I first off have never ridden a Flying Coaster. It gives KI another Rollercoaster and it is Unique for a change nit like anther wooden like Ki fav. It also shows that Cedar Fair is making an attempt to bring rides here. If I remember correctly CBS had not intention of putting anything new into the park for 2007.So I'm happy Cedar Fair has added new attractions/shows into the park. Thats some of the reason's the biggest one is a new Steel Roller coaster a real thrill ride and not anther kiddy ride like Paramount liked the ideal of making a section int the park that adversities Nick for them. Is is also the first non themed to Paramount ride and it pretty good themeing ideals not like paramount did like naming all there rides after a movie or show. It is basiclly showing that were tired of Paramount and lest bring in the new ideals and Cedar Fair into the park. It's a sing saying it time for major changes and gives us hope for new things top come.

Edited by Skywriter

I know I'm going get flamed for this but why are most you KI die-hards so pumped for a hand-me down coaster? :huh:

Someone at my school was bashing KI for getting a "used" roller coaster (they love CP.) It made me think about it though. Whats really "used" about it? The footers and the station are brand new. Fresh coat of paint so you couldn't tell it was moved. The trains have been TOTALLY overhalled. Sure.. the steal is still the same... But the Vortex steal is 20 years, and it still runs great on it. I will be shocked come opening day if you can honestly tell that this is a "hand-me down" coaster.

Edited by Hendrick

Crap. I knew it was either 20 or 25, and I took a wild guess... Why did you change your signature TOPGUN? I would have gotten it right then... :P

Crap. I knew it was either 20 or 25, and I took a wild guess... Why did you change your signature TOPGUN? I would have gotten it right then... :P

I agree with you Skywriter. It shows cedar fair's committment to stop snubbing us thrill seekers. Although the first coaster may be a "used coaster", I think it is astonishing that in less than a year after their purchase Cedar Fair has managed to give us a coaster at all. We will get some fresh coasters no doubt but that will take time and planning.

I do not mean to discourage attractions for non-thrill seekers. As a matter of fact CP has three children's areas compared to one children's area at KI (Nickolodian Universe.) The point is Cedar Fair is committed to all of its customers, not just the thrill seekers or non-thrill seekers.

Cedar Fair is mainly thrill seekers. The kids areas are a lot smaller and have less options. Kings Island has NU and several other attractions around the park for kids. Kings Island is made more for families than Cedar Point.

I know I'm going get flamed for this but why are most you KI die-hards so pumped for a hand-me down coaster? :huh:

Someone at my school was bashing KI for getting a "used" roller coaster (they love CP.) It made me think about it though. Whats really "used" about it? The footers and the station are brand new. Fresh coat of paint so you couldn't tell it was moved. The trains have been TOTALLY overhalled. Sure.. the steal is still the same... But the Vortex steal is 20 years, and it still runs great on it. I will be shocked come opening day if you can honestly tell that this is a "hand-me down" coaster.

See thats the answer I was looking for honestly...Borg was a hand-me down and its one great ride.

KI does have a lot of good family rides to choose from but for us thrill seekers does it really matter if a new ride to the park is used or new? I really dont think it matters just as long as it is a good thrill ride for most people to enjoy and plus it usually means lees money spent then there is lots of money saved for a brand new thrill ride to the park that everyone could really enjoy.

...Or the demolotion of Top Gun and a replacement of a Downtown Disney like area with an inverted roller coaster above, while the rest of Action Zone and a section of Oktoberfest are completely rethemed to an area based of myths and legends.

Looking a bit like this (not my picture):

14119594812.jpg

Edited by TombraiderTy

whats up with all the Downtown Disney like talk? i do like the way you are thinking but why always tell it to us why dont you go to someone for the park and make a suggeston to them instead of saying all this stuff to us. Do you really hate Top Gun that much? everyone else i know at least likes to ride it but you really hate it dont you.

Ok, time for a small explamation again...

The area would not be near the size of Downtown Disney, or have a lake connected to it like Downtown Disney. And I'm not suggesting it to the park, cause I can already imagine them thinking its stupid coming from someone my age. Think of it as another International Street area, but a bit larger and with a theme of more of a modern city (without all the graffiti, crime, and litter). It would provide more entertainment, dining, shopping, and a place to relax in the park and out of the park. It would take several million, but it would be a nice addition and improve the park's rating.

And the reason I keep on posting it on here is because it would be a good replacement for Top Gun, which I don't hate but it doesn't live up to any expectations. A new inverted coaster over the area would live up, with corkscrews over the street and a double helix above the "town square" area, which could have a small circular fountain.

And a great new Downtown Disney like area!

Go to local.live.com and see how much space it is from Top Gun to where the Great Wolf Lodge is- the right amount for a good shopping/dining/entertainment area and a good amount of room for expansion. Plus, saying a frame was built around Son of Beast and the look was changed to that of a mountain, it would look stunning! The only thing left is a good firework display that goes along to music every night, with fireworks shot from and around the Eiffel Tower :D

Edited by TombraiderTy

Nice to here your brain storming but Top Gun isnt going anywhere in fact I think we will see that coaster get a new coat of paint and a name change before 2009.

That picture you posted is that IOA? Because IOA is transforming there Lost Continent into The World of Harry Potter next year.The Lost Continent has been due for a re-theme since late 2002/Early 2003 some of the concepts USF execs want to theme it to were

-Van Helsing(This theme got scrapped because of the lousy B.O. Opening It was really cool concept)

-King Kong:Skull Island(This theme got capped due to being to close to the Jurassic Park theme plus it was too expensive!)

-Harry Potter I hear this is going to happen I hear Universal beat Disney to the rights and will be retheming the lost continent to the world of harry potter.