Sign in to follow this  
MylesG23

New Hyper Coasters

Kings Island needs a roller coaster like Top Thrill Dragster, Millenium Force, or Maverick...then it will be a great park.. I still enjoy it more than Cedar Point..though I havent been to Cedar Point since last year..

Edited by TOPGUN1993

Kings Island or any other Cedar Fair park will not be getting a ride like Top Thrill Dragster anytime soon. I wouldn't except to see anything big over over 200 feet being bulit anytime soon either.

They will never build another TTD. Mr. Kinzel said it was his worst mistake ever.

ki has completely missed the boat in the past 15 years with not one b and m coaster. since king cobra gone, would be nice if built a stand up b and m in its place. i think with mr kinzel in charge now we may not see another tdd but i think he will build more coasters, including a steel hyper coaster. i think we will finally see one, maybe two b and ms. my impression of mr kinzel is that he doesn't care about just the guests who like the "family attractions" or the guests who like just the "thrill rides"-mr kinzel cares about all his guests, thrill seekers and non thrill seekers. while there is nothing wrong with building family rides, i feel ki's concentration in the past few years on family attractions has, perhaps unintentionally, snubbed those of us who want bigger coasters.

lets take italian job as an example. on a busy day where do you find the longer line, at italian job or the beast? i don't think it takes an einstein to figure an answer. those who state that the public has a declining interest in coasters in favor of "family attractions" are out of touch with reality.

I believe the days of stand up B & M's are largely over. The ridership of Mantis kind of proves this, or more correctly, the lack thereof. It is one of the least popular coasters at Cedar Point.

I believe the days of stand up B & M's are largely over. The ridership of Mantis kind of proves this, or more correctly, the lack thereof. It is one of the least popular coasters at Cedar Point.

really? when I go to CP this year it will be my 4th priority

really? when I go to CP this year it will be my 4th priority

mantis is still one of the most popular rides. during the peak season the queues are usually filled up.i have never been to six flags magic mountain but i hear that their b and m stand up, riddlers revenge is very popular. so i beg to differ with you that the b and m stand up days are over

It is my understanding the major reason they normally only run two trains on Mantis is the low demand and popularity of the ride. The only way that ride gets a tremendously long line is when the park itself is tremendously busy.

Stand-ups are so passe now. Unless a park really, really wants one don't count on any being built anytime soon. Seems the hot thing now are floorless coasters even though we haven't seen too many built in the past few years.

As for coasters at Kings Island, I will say expect them to arrive in Mason in the future. According to an article in Sunday's Cleveland Plain Dealer Mr. Kinzel is reported as saying:

1.He loves Kings Island and thinks it's a beautiful park with the magnificent fountains.

2. He is proud that its a part of the Cedar Fair family.

3. Does not want to change Kings Island's appearance.

4. There'll be more of an emphasis on families with teens, sort of like Cedar Point.

Quoted as saying: "In the Cedar Fair parks, we've been very successful by putting in coasters and thrill rides and trying to combine families with the teen market. You'll see a lot of the family elements that were at Paramount parks introduced at the Cedar Fair parks and you'll see a lot of the Cedar Fair elements introduced at the Paramount parks."

So what does all this have to do with the original topic? It means that Kings Island will be very well taken care of and I believe all of us coaster nuts will be happy with what may be down the line in the future. A hyper coaster? I definitely can see one at Kings Island. A B&M invert? I can see that too but one thing must be noted - any coaster added will not be one that will overshadow anything at Cedar Point. That's their baby and nothing is going to outdo their pride and joy.

As for Mantis, it is also not a fast loader. Heck King Cobra was not a fast loader either. Notice a train hits the final brakes while the one before it is still loading or they are adjusting the seats.

As for Corkscrew, they usually run all three from morning through the peak times of the day but on many occassions I've noticed they will take a train off towards early evening.

I personally think Kings Island is already a great park and anything else added will just be like icing on a cake. I think the park is far and away better than Cedar Point, which is a shame, since CP is only an hour from where I live.

Edited by Geauga Dog

Exactly. Right now it's a little unbalanced, with CF having been good with thrill and Paramount good with family. With Firehawk as the start, CF will increase the thrill quota here.

Being a "Family Park" doesn't mean putting in all tame rides like Paramount did, it means having a good variety.

I could easily see KI being the new Cedar Point, when Cedar Point runs out of space. For them, it isn't an IF anymore, it's a WHEN. We already have most of the records for wood, why not go for a few in steal? (At least put us in the top 10.) Mr. Kinzel loves Kings Island. I truly believe KI was the driving force for him with the Paramount deal.

Now, one coaster type I would love to have. A coaster similar to the Raptor, or what I would love to see is a mild wooden coaster, possibly one similar to that of The Wildcat at Idora. It was rated in the top 10 in the U.S. before fire took it down. I guess I just want that old school feel, one filled with airtime. My parents say that the Wildcat, almost every drop was airtime.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig450.htm?picture=1

Edited by Hendrick

Hendrick, you are correct. Mr. Kinzel was also quoted as saying that he wanted Cedar Fair to buy Kings Island from Carl Lindner ten years ago but due to a tax issue they had to bow out.

When asked "Was there one particular park you really wanted?", he answered:

"From an emotional point of view, of course, Kings Island. It was in our backyard and we competed with them. It's a beautiful park. That was the one I always personally wanted."

The wonderful part about KI is, I'll truly be amazed if they run out of land, and they didn't sell any of it off. I want to say I read somewhere less then half of the land KI owns has been developed.

At one time, Kings Island owned a LOT more property than it has today. The golf course, the Kings Island resort, the old campground...much of the land is no longer part of the park property. Carl Lindner kept quite a bit of it and didn't sell it to Paramount Parks. And Paramount Parks didn't sell all it had had to Cedar Fair, either. GWL, for instance, is not owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, but the land under it had been owned by Paramount Parks.

At one time, Kings Island owned a LOT more property than it has today. The golf course, the Kings Island resort, the old campground...much of the land is no longer part of the park property. Carl Lindner kept quite a bit of it and didn't sell it to Paramount Parks. And Paramount Parks didn't sell all it had had to Cedar Fair, either. GWL, for instance, is not owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, but the land under it had been owned by Paramount Parks.

i don't know where everyone is getting the notion that mantis is not a popular ride. it is an extremely popular ride at cp-ride queues are usually full both weekends and week days when i have been up there. the fact that they run only 2 trains has absolutely nothing to do with the popularity of the ride. it has to do with the braking system. if i am not mistaken dept of agriculture has gotten a lot stricter about how many trains you can run. for example-sob-that track is almost double the size of vortex,yet while vortex runs 3 trains,sob only ran 2.you will also notice that while m force does run 3 trains, another train never starts until the previous train brakes unlike magnum or vortex where another train can start while another one is in circuit. my point?how many trains you can run depends upon the individual ride, mainly how its braking system works.

i have been going to ki since i was 11 when the park opened in 1972 and before that to old coney island before most of you were born. i believe that cp is a superior park to ki because cedar point is actually the ki in the preparamount years when the taft family ran the park.you hear about dick kinzel's special fondness for ki. i believe that actually the ki of the taft years was his inspiration for what makes cp as great as it is today. for those reasons, i think dick kinzel will restore ki to its former greatness.

`

Son of Beast was planned to run three trains. They didn't run three trains because they found in testing that doing so did not increase capacity. And last year, they took a car off each train at the beginning of the season, in an attempt to reduce weight and stress on the structure.

And Mantis is not one of the more popular rides at Cedar Point. Far from it. If it were, you'd have seen Mr. Kinzel and company put more B and M stand-ups in their other parks, such as Dorney and Worlds of Fun. They didn't.

The older B and M standups are not fun, either, IMHO. Iron Wolf at SFGAm is considered by many as among the most painful of rides. I don't see it that way. Then again, that may be because I have ridden The Coaster at New York, New York in Las Vegas (formerly known as Manhattan Express).

Edited by The Interpreter

I'll tell you what would be perfect:

If KI could get a dueling B&M Inverted like Dueling Dragons.

They could even tie it in with The Racer somehow! You can race your friends old-school or new-school! Only at KI!

I'd also like to see a Gravity Group masterpiece like The Raven or The Voyage, but I think KI is set with wood for now. I agree that a hypercoaster should be next on the list. And bring back the Antique Cars. That's just a standard that every park should have.

I think another wooden coaster is possible in the next few years, just not as big as TB or SOB

raptor in my opinion next to m force is the best. you cannot beat that cobra roll.

i am still boggled by all of you who insist the maintis is an unpopular ride. an unpopular ride doesn't have queues filled up. while manits is usually a walk on early in the morning in the afternoon, including weekdays it is usually a 1 to 1 1/2 hr wait.an unpopular ride is not an hr and half wait.

and that is totally false about sob not running 3 trains because it is unpopular. if they were able to they would have run 3 trains.when sob opened they only ran 1 train and didn't get a second train going until august 2000. they never got a third train going because they were not able to run a third train for safety reasons.it had nothing to do with the popularity of the ride.

everyone has a right to their opinion and in my opinion b and m makes a high quality steel ride. while you get the smoothness of a steel coaster you get the loud roar of a woodie.b and m is here to stay and i am confident b and m will finally debut at ki maybe in 2009.

Son of Beast was planned to run three trains. They didn't run three trains because they found in testing that doing so did not increase capacity. And last year, they took a car off each train at the beginning of the season, in an attempt to reduce weight and stress on the structure.

And Mantis is not one of the more popular rides at Cedar Point. Far from it. If it were, you'd have seen Mr. Kinzel and company put more B and M stand-ups in their other parks, such as Dorney and Worlds of Fun. They didn't.

The older B and M standups are not fun, either, IMHO. Iron Wolf at SFGAm is considered by many as among the most painful of rides. I don't see it that way. Then again, that may be because I have ridden The Coaster at New York, New York in Las Vegas (formerly known as Manhattan Express).

Thats not really the case. Mantis is still pretty popular. Everytime i'v been there, they always ran both trains and the queve has always had a decent 1-2 hour wait. The stand-up fad has faded for coaster designers but the GP still love it.