Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Major Forums Upgrade Completed

The forums upgrade is done! We have finally upgraded our forum software to the most recent version of Invision Power Board, replacing the old version we had been running since 2003.

With this upgrade comes a significant increase in stability and security, along with a host of new features:

Advanced User Profile System. You can now leave comments on other people's profiles, add them as a friend, easily review their recent topics and posts, and more. You can also add a personal statement to your profile.

Security. Gone are the security vulnerabilities found in the old version. The new version is extremely secure and frequently updated. Our forums have been hacked a couple times in the past, but with this upgrade, the chance of that happening again is close to nothing.

Usability Features. Ever sat on a topic for ten minutes, waiting to see if someone viewing the topic was going to reply? No more of that. If a user is replying, their name on the list of users viewing that thread will italicize, clearly indicating when they are actually making a reply.

Quick Edit. You no longer have to load the full editing screen to edit a post. Click Edit, choose Quick Edit, and the post will turn into an inline editing window. Works on the same principle as Fast Reply.

There are a ton of other new features and enhancements that came with this upgrade, but really there's too much to go into here, To see the capabilities of this software for yourself, just explore around and try it out!

I know the forums look a little plain right now. I will be changing it away from the default Invision style as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or any feedback at all about this upgrade, feel free to reply to this thread.

Footnote: If you used an Avatar from the Forums Avatar Gallery, you will need to reset it.

Also something I forgot to mention: On the lower left of the forums there is an orange button for the new RSS feed. Click that, and you can choose the KIExtreme News feed. This feed pulls from the Front Page News forum.

Bye Bye 1.3 It was fun when it lasted... :P

Can't wait for the new skin. As long as it isn't the pink one...

Two things.

Favicon needs reset back to the E.

Also, it's making me choose my Birthday. I really don't want to choose that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Edited by Hendrick

Haha, nope. The new skin will be pretty much the same as the one on the previous version.

Favicon: Oops. I'll replace that now, might take a little while to actually show. (Cached)

Birthday: I have no idea. There's nothing in the profile options about that, I'll have to check on that.

The forums upgrade is done! We have finally upgraded our forum software to the most recent version of Invision Power Board, replacing the old version we had been running since 2003.

With this upgrade comes a significant increase in stability and security, along with a host of new features:

Advanced User Profile System. You can now leave comments on other people's profiles, add them as a friend, easily review their recent topics and posts, and more. You can also add a personal statement to your profile.

Security. Gone are the security vulnerabilities found in the old version. The new version is extremely secure and frequently updated. Our forums have been hacked a couple times in the past, but with this upgrade, the chance of that happening again is close to nothing.

Usability Features. Ever sat on a topic for ten minutes, waiting to see if someone viewing the topic was going to reply? No more of that. If a user is replying, their name on the list of users viewing that thread will italicize, clearly indicating when they are actually making a reply.

Quick Edit. You no longer have to load the full editing screen to edit a post. Click Edit, choose Quick Edit, and the post will turn into an inline editing window. Works on the same principle as Fast Reply.

There are a ton of other new features and enhancements that came with this upgrade, but really there's too much to go into here, To see the capabilities of this software for yourself, just explore around and try it out!

I know the forums look a little plain right now. I will be changing it away from the default Invision style as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or any feedback at all about this upgrade, feel free to reply to this thread.

Footnote: If you used an Avatar from the Forums Avatar Gallery, you will need to reset it.

Like it.

Edited by Skywriter

I personally don't like the upgrade other than the profiles/increased security...

...but then, that's only because I don't like Invision Power Board. :blink:

Glad to see you guys updating... only improvements I would suggest is different forum markers (not the ipb default ones) and transparent buttons like Hendrick said.

Foe

I've always been a big fan of IPB, especially with 1.3. It was by far the worst mistake IPB made by taking IPB 1.3 off of their site. They keep saying that it isn't secure, but my forum has 1000 members, and we have never had an issue with it before.

In the long run, it's going to be a great move. No matter how much you may dislike it, at the end of the day, it is faster, more secure, and more stable then other builds. (Without certain mods to IPB 1.3).

Most people don't like change. When I was first introduced to IPB itself, I was mad that we were moving forums. I had finally figured out the other software that we were using. But after I used it for a while, it became my favorite. So never say never.

Personally, I believe that what KIE really needs is some sort of shoutbox.

I found an image pack that is darker blue than the default Invision images and applied them to the skin. They're still too bright, and not transparent, but they look nicer than the default ones.

Nuts. Guess that's what happens when I use an image pack for 2.1 on 2.2.

Images reverted to default. I'll try to get new images made just like the ones from the previous (1.3) skin made as soon as I can.

For the most part, there aren't really any new images from IPB 1.3 to now. There is really only one I can think of, which with a little coding, that image won't exist... :D

Yeah, there aren't many. I'll probably be able to just use the ones from the 1.3 skin and then see what new ones are needed. I'll check on that stuff soon.