cstrwomann

SOB Reopening

I didn't ride the SOB on opening day, but I did ride it opening season... I never thought that it was a smooth ride. I did get a sense that I was on Mean Streak when I started to get a headache during the ride. However, I did go back for more because the ride itself is great, but not smooth.

I'm guessing that Six Flags Great Adventure picked those trains, not just because it's in the United States. >_>

Yep, you are guessing...

Insurance regulations and the litigation arena are different in the USA than in Europe. . .

I'm guessing that Six Flags Great Adventure picked those trains, not just because it's in the United States. >_>

Yep, you are guessing...

Insurance regulations and the litigation arena are different in the USA than in Europe. . .

perhaps i need to clarify a little by what i meant about sob being smooth for a wooden coaster. i recall that when i road it opening day, it was not as smooth as a typical steel coaster-i think wood will always be rougher. i just thought it was smoother than the average wooden coaster. after it reopened a few weeks after opening day around memorial day weekend may 2000,i recall that it seemed a lot rougher-i am wondering if the refurbishments during those interim weeks caused the current problems.

I borrwed this bit of info off another topic.

Son of Beast, which has been closed since a cracked support beam incident last summer, had its loop removed this past winter to lighten the stress on the wooden structure. It will return to operation at some point during the 2007 season, pending modifications to the wheelbases of its new, lighter trains.

They've completed the reinforcement of the ride's structure, Kaiser said, noting that guests will notice the new trains, with a different style of restraint; and the fact that the loop has been replaced by an "S-type" curve to the track. "It's still going to feel like a wooden coaster," she added. "We're looking forward to reopening it, it's going to be a great ride.

Edited by Skywriter

I borrwed this bit of info off another topic.

Son of Beast, which has been closed since a cracked support beam incident last summer, had its loop removed this past winter to lighten the stress on the wooden structure. It will return to operation at some point during the 2007 season, pending modifications to the wheelbases of its new, lighter trains.

They've completed the reinforcement of the ride's structure, Kaiser said, noting that guests will notice the new trains, with a different style of restraint; and the fact that the loop has been replaced by an "S-type" curve to the track. "It's still going to feel like a wooden coaster," she added. "We're looking forward to reopening it, it's going to be a great ride.

hope they are intamin type trains that i previously discussed. if so would think would give smoother ride.

they need to re add the loop, and construct King Kobra again...and put Phantom theater back up...and put the Days of Thunder movie thing back up...or the James bond one...they both were good...hmm what else... THE NEED TO BRING SKYLINE CHILI TO DETROIT MICHIGAN!

As big of a fan as I am of SOB, I have to say it's on it's last leg. If anything happens this year, or maybe next... Free firewood anyone?

I love that ride, and I hope that never happens. However, I think I like it rough. I can deal with it, and theres never a line! :P

I just wish I could ride Sonny, it's been years.

checked yesterday with someone who appeared to be important and he didn't have reopening date for sob. if they can make a smoother and more comfortable ride i look forward to reopening of sob. as to the loop i feel it is very overrated. it was simply a steel loop so there was nothing novel about. i feel having inversion on ride may have made it worse,ie uncomfortable trains to accomodate inversion making possibly for a rougher ride.

would also love to have another stand up but a b and m like mantis.