cstrwomann

SOB Reopening

So, what exactly is a "swoosh"? Would it by like a simple S turn, or how is that going to work. I cannot picture it not being extremely rough for some reason.

I haven't played RCT, so it really don't know what it looks like. Personally, if I was in charge, I would take off a bit more. I'll make a picture from google earth later today when I get home.

I still like my old idea:

In 2010, a new breed of scary will be unleashed. It's name: Daughter of Beast. It's mission: Avenge it's brother's downfall. Only at Kings Island in Mason, Ohio. :lol:

I would actully like SoB to be replaced by another Beast family member.

I still like my old idea:

In 2010, a new breed of scary will be unleashed. It's name: Daughter of Beast. It's mission: Avenge it's brother's downfall. Only at Kings Island in Mason, Ohio. :lol:

I would actully like SoB to be replaced by another Beast family member.

I like the idea of the whole daughter thing. Im not sure if you mean by replacing the SOB to do away with it or not, but I dont like the idea of doing away with it- Sure add another kid to the picture but dont kill one of them-

i could never imagine SOB being torn down Cedar Fair knows that SOB is one of the key elements of KI and they know it will bring people there to ride it or even just to see it.

But, I also agree with the point about CF and how they are Coaster Champions and they will know exactly what to do and they will get it done fast.

I would like to see it reopen so i could get some more ride time on it But, i support whatever CF wants to do...how are we supposed to know what they could do if they did tear it down possibly neww ride/rides. :ph34r:

userbar358711ws0.gif

i rode sob on opening nite the last friday in april, 2000 and thought it was an outstanding coaster. i rode it the next day and got the first official ride open to the public.again, super ride. i was awestruck at how smooth a wooden coaster could be. as we all recall the ride closed a few hours later that saturday and did not reopen until the end of may, 2000.(an omen of things to come?) since that time that it reopened sob has been a disaster from the word go. it turned into an absolutely miserable ride-compared to sob, mean streak which we all know is a rough coaster felt like the top cat taxi cab ride in the kiddie area.

i feel that the popularity of sob stated by forum members is highly exaggerated-there have been saturdays when i have come to the park when the queues are completely empty compared to the full queues of millenium force(even on weekdays.) who wants to ride a coaster to experience extreme pain?

i also feel that the inversion of sob was highly overated-it was simply a steel loop. what's so novel about that?

if they could perhaps accomadate sob for stadium trains like m force or dragster, i think it could be a great ride-you would have the freedom of movement and hopefully, a much smoother ride. i am not an engineer so i don't know if such trains would help.'

SOB smooth? Man, I wish I could have ridden it back then. It is still my favorite ride, regardless of the pain caused by it. Hopefully they can fix it.

I did ride it back then.

Smooth is not even remotely one of the words I would use to describe it, then or in any year thereafter up to and including 2006....

But has it gotten worst over time? Took me a few years to get on SOB, and honestly, I don't truly remember how it was those first few years.

I rode it during a class trip in 2001 and I didn't find it too bad. I was terrified of roller coasters then and it kind of broke me of that. So I had to enjoy it somewhat. However, I did find The Beast to be smoother

The Beast has always been smoother, and probably always will. However, hopefully CF and KI will both take some time, and make it a lot smoother. (Or even a little bit. Some spots really needed it.)

I did ride it back then.

Smooth is not even remotely one of the words I would use to describe it, then or in any year thereafter up to and including 2006....

back to the subject of trains like on dragster and m force on sob,ie stadium seating. i recall watching a documentary on discovery channel which included a feature on a wooden roller coaster in germany that was second only to sob in height and speed for a woodie.( i think a little over 180 ft high)it looked like those trains were stadium trains like m force and dragster. i do not recall the name of the coaster or name of park. anyone know anything about this coaster?

I'm guessing that Six Flags Great Adventure picked those trains, not just because it's in the United States. >_>

I didn't ride the SOB on opening day, but I did ride it opening season... I never thought that it was a smooth ride. I did get a sense that I was on Mean Streak when I started to get a headache during the ride. However, I did go back for more because the ride itself is great, but not smooth.

I'm guessing that Six Flags Great Adventure picked those trains, not just because it's in the United States. >_>

Yep, you are guessing...

Insurance regulations and the litigation arena are different in the USA than in Europe. . .

Yep, you are guessing...

Insurance regulations and the litigation arena are different in the USA than in Europe. . .

perhaps i need to clarify a little by what i meant about sob being smooth for a wooden coaster. i recall that when i road it opening day, it was not as smooth as a typical steel coaster-i think wood will always be rougher. i just thought it was smoother than the average wooden coaster. after it reopened a few weeks after opening day around memorial day weekend may 2000,i recall that it seemed a lot rougher-i am wondering if the refurbishments during those interim weeks caused the current problems.

I borrwed this bit of info off another topic.

Son of Beast, which has been closed since a cracked support beam incident last summer, had its loop removed this past winter to lighten the stress on the wooden structure. It will return to operation at some point during the 2007 season, pending modifications to the wheelbases of its new, lighter trains.

They've completed the reinforcement of the ride's structure, Kaiser said, noting that guests will notice the new trains, with a different style of restraint; and the fact that the loop has been replaced by an "S-type" curve to the track. "It's still going to feel like a wooden coaster," she added. "We're looking forward to reopening it, it's going to be a great ride.

Edited by Skywriter

I borrwed this bit of info off another topic.

Son of Beast, which has been closed since a cracked support beam incident last summer, had its loop removed this past winter to lighten the stress on the wooden structure. It will return to operation at some point during the 2007 season, pending modifications to the wheelbases of its new, lighter trains.

They've completed the reinforcement of the ride's structure, Kaiser said, noting that guests will notice the new trains, with a different style of restraint; and the fact that the loop has been replaced by an "S-type" curve to the track. "It's still going to feel like a wooden coaster," she added. "We're looking forward to reopening it, it's going to be a great ride.

hope they are intamin type trains that i previously discussed. if so would think would give smoother ride.

they need to re add the loop, and construct King Kobra again...and put Phantom theater back up...and put the Days of Thunder movie thing back up...or the James bond one...they both were good...hmm what else... THE NEED TO BRING SKYLINE CHILI TO DETROIT MICHIGAN!