cstrwomann

SOB Reopening

PKI central.com stated on Feb 6th KI stated that they didn't know when or IF

SOB will reopen. I'm hoping someone can share some news with us because I don't like to hear things like this.

That's because Kings Island doesn't know when Son of Beast will open. It is not opening with the rest of the park on opening day. My guess is late May to early June.

It IS reopening, unless they are flat out lying to us, which seems fairly unlikely and unreasonable. Right now they are still considering bids on the new trains for the ride, as well as deciding what to do with the missing link of track right now, i.e. a tunnel, just a straight piece, maybe a bunny hop, who knows? But right now they are going to do whatever it takes to insure that the ride is completely safe and they won't open it until they are 110% sure that it is.

I don't know. After reading the official accident investigation reports, it seems like KI could have a large problem on its hands as the report concluded that the same engineering flaw is located in dozens of other places on the ride. KI has been working to fix these problems since well before the accident, but the report didn't make things sound too good. Lighter trains will help, but the inherent problem is still there.

I for one wouldn't be surprised if SoB gets the axe within a few seasons if not sooner. KI is going to spend millions fixing this, and they may conclude that in the end it would be better all around to just to spend that money on something brand new without safety concerns.

That will be a sad day, but if they were willing to take out the loop so quicky (which of course was the ride's signature feature) I don't think they'd flinch to knock it all down rather than spend millions only to have another incident and PR nightmare.

SoB will probably go on to become a cautionary tale to be very careful when choosing your designers/manufacturer/engineers in ride installation.

I would agree with you on pretty much all that. It would be a sad day, but I definitely think it will reopen before they tear it down. It seems like a lot of work and money, but tearing it down would cost a lot as well. Also you'd be dealing so much wood to get rid of, it seems a little overwhelming to tear down the largest investment ever made into the park, but certainly it is possible.

King Cobra & The Bat should be a poignant example of KI's willingness to take out even "park cornerstone" rides should safety and/or maintenance costs become an issue. The Bat's removal didn't hurt as much as it could have since Arrow came right back in and put up The Vortex. Personally, I think KC was much cooler than Delirium (though Delerium absolutely deserves a spot in the park), but with its maintenance issues, it's a wonder it stuck around as long as it did.

If KI should give SoB the old Wrecking Ball, I'm not sure what they could put in to make up for it. Maybe a nice B&M or a unique & original Intamin. The bad part is that SoB is really a signature ride that is synonymous with KI in my mind. No replacement would be the same. When I think of KI, I think Beast, Vortex, Racer & SoB (I still of think KC too). Any other ride there is just gravy. Take out SoB, and KI seems like it's missing something from it's aura and that could affect park attendance. Kind of like if you took Space Mountain out of WDW.

I said it somewhere before, and I will say it again. There is only one thing that has changed since the time SOB was built, till now. That is? Cedar Fair. Cedar Fair and Paramounts are two totally different companies. Cedar Fair is a company that likes to get things done. Their going to fix SOB, and their going to do it right. The first time. Yes, the ride may not open this year (as disappointed as I will be), but, when it does open, the changes will fix the ride. And we will see the Son of Beast going down a lot less often.

^ That's an excellent point. Cedar Fair will not just sit around being all wishy-washy when it comes to park operation. They know how to kick some ass and run a quality park! Paramount was just "diversifying" with their theme parks and probably had some trouble navigating the industry.

CF can/will bring KI back to it's full glory, and as you mentioned, will waste no time doing so. Now if we can just get rid of all of the terrible Paramount movie/show theming and back to basics...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Top Gun get it's original name that was slated for it, before Paramounts bought it out. I want to say it was Thunder Road, or something on that line.

PKI central.com stated on Feb 6th KI stated that they didn't know when or IF

SOB will reopen. I'm hoping someone can share some news with us because I don't like to hear things like this.

Why dont you read anything before you just start posting? Some folks over at PKIC even pointed out to you the article where Mr. Kaiser stated the ride would not open with the rest of the park. Thats all the news there is. It's not like the associated press is doing undercover investigative reporting into the matter. Geeze, everytime you post......READ before you post.

I think they should build a frame around all the track and supports, and then use fiberglass, plaster, whatever would be proper to use, to make it look like a mountain. Think about it- his father, The Beast, lurks the woods. Son of Beast lurks the mountains, and you are on an adventure traveling along a long abandoned mine track, trying to snap a picture of the amazing creature. It could be like Expedition Everest, but taller, faster, longer, scarier, and wood. Then, you could have two close encounters with the Son of Beast.

The first encounter could be before the drop which was before the loop, right after the helix. There would be a big cave there, so you would be in complete darkness. There would be those two big eyes moving about and a very loud roar. Then, right before hitting the brakes, also inside a cave, you would see it swiping its claws down at you.

^ Very interesting, I kinda like the idea of using more themeing on the ride

Should they get SOB running good this year I agree maybe they should theme the hell out of it. Maybe with some work done in that area they just might be able to get ridership numbers back up, and at the same time make up for the lack of a loop. I do find it interesting that KI doesn't say anything about the loop anymore, almost like there trying to get to public to forget about that part even though everyone knows it once was there.

^ LOL, you are kinda right, it is almost as if they tried slipping that by us. There really wasn't a big deal about it, it was like "oh and by the way SOB is going to lose its loop...but in other more important news...." I still think the ride is going to be the tops for me (though Firehawk might have something to say about that :) ) because the bottom line is that if you want loops, go ride Vortex, if you want speed and height you ride SOB. SOB is KI's Millenium coaster and it will be probably for quite awhile until some serious money is put into a new coaster.

In all honesty though, who rode the ride just for the loop? Ya, it was a nice thing saying that you rode the only wooden looping coaster, but that is 5 seconds long. I never have ridden a ride just because of one element in it. I rode it because it's a fun ride.