Sign in to follow this  
HOYS

New For 2007! Firehawk!

Firehawk Debuts at Kings Island Memorial Day Weekend

Kings Island's first flying coaster sends adventure-seekers soaring!

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Kings Island celebrates its 35th anniversary in 2007 by soaring to new heights with its 14th roller coaster, Firehawk. Debuting Memorial Day Weekend, this innovative flying coaster propels willing test pilots 115 feet in the air and through five inversions at speeds of more than 50 mph – all while facing the ground, experiencing the inconceivable feeling of human flight.

The best of the best begin their mission just behind Flight of Fear roller coaster in Coney Mall. After boarding their four-across yellow and red pilot seats, guests are lowered backward and begin their ascent up the 115-foot-tall red and steel gray lift hill, only to be flipped over and jetted at top speeds through ½ mile of steel track over the course of 2 minutes and 30 seconds!

“The addition of Firehawk reflects our commitment to combining one-of-a-kind thrills with fantastic family entertainment,” said Greg Scheid, Kings Island’s vice president and general manager. “We’re looking for some real thrill seekers who are ready and willing to fly. What a way to celebrate our 35th anniversary!”

Firehawk joins a portfolio of 13 award-winning, industry-leading roller coasters including The Beast (the world’s longest wooden coaster), Son of Beast (the world’s tallest and fastest wooden coaster), Flight of Fear (the world’s first coaster with LIM launch technology), Vortex (the country’s first six-inversion coaster) and Rugrat’s Runaway Reptar (the world’s first inverted coaster for children).

Kings Island opens for weekend operation Saturday, April 21. Gates open at 10 a.m. Daily operation begins Wednesday, May 23. Boomerang Bay™ opens Saturday, May 26. For more information about Kings Island, guests can call the park at (800) 288-0808 or visit www.pki.com.

Individual gold season passes and four-pack family passes are now on sale by calling (800) 952-PASS [7277] or online at www.pki.com. Discounted park tickets are also available when purchased in advance by calling (800) 288-0808 or online at www.pki.com.

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: “FUN”) is a publicly traded partnership headquartered in Sandusky, Ohio. The Partnership, which owns and operates twelve amusement parks, five outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and six hotels, is one of the largest regional amusement park operators in the world. Its parks are located in Ohio, California, North Carolina, Virginia / District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Missouri, Michigan, and Toronto, Ontario. Cedar Fair also owns and operates Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure located in Las Vegas, and operates the Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy, California under a management contract.

# # #

FACT SHEET: Firehawk

Last updated 1.12.06

Attraction Name Firehawk

Description Thrill flyers experience heart-pounding excitement as Firehawk soars through more than ½ a mile of steel tracking. Willing adventure seekers lie down to experience this 51 mph., top-secret, all-altitude airborne mission. But they’re certainly not relaxing – within seconds, each pilot is facing the ground, experiencing the inconceivable feeling of human flight.

Manufacturer Vekoma International

Track Length 3340 feet

Ride Speed 51 mph.

Height 115 feet

Angle of descent 30 degrees

Inversions 5

Hourly Capacity 400 guests per hour per train

Riders 24 (6 four-passenger rows per train) 2 trains

Ride Length 2:30 minutes

Location Coney Mall

Height Requirement 54”

###

Moving Firehawk to Cincinnati

Firehawk Flies Down I-71 Before Landing at Kings Island

Moving a major roller coaster takes time, engineering skill and 150 – 200 flatbed trucks.

KINGS ISLAND, Ohio – Building an entertainment center in one’s home takes time, patience and skill. Equipment must be inventoried, time blocked off, tools located and patience mustered. Now imagine bringing that entertainment center from a location four hours away. In 300 – 350 gigantic pieces. On 150 – 200 flatbed trucks.

When Firehawk, Kings Island’s 14th roller coaster debuts over Memorial Day Weekend, it will cap off seven months of extensive planning and construction by two Cedar Fair parks.

Kings Island surveyors and engineers began clearing the ride’s eventual location behind Flight of Fear roller coaster in November 2006. The approximately 5.5-acre site sat on uneven ground, making it necessary to fill in some spots with up to 25 feet of earth. All site excavation is complete, and more than 300 concrete footers will be poured this week to prepare for Firehawk’s placement. Actual ride construction will begin in mid-February.

Disassembly of the former X-flight roller coaster at Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio, began in December. The coaster was removed piece by piece, beginning at the ride station and continuing around the length of the track. In total, the move involves more than 300 pieces of steel track, driven down I-71 in groups of one or two. Each piece is independently numbered and specifically grouped in Kings Island’s parking lot. The coaster trains will be transported separately, disassembled, tested and reassembled in Kings Island’s steel coaster shop.

The Cincinnati-based firm Fenton Rigging is overseeing the process at both parks, and local engineers are assisting Kings Island’s construction and engineering teams with the project. When the 3,340-foot red and gray steel coaster is complete, it will feature a dual-load station, two dark red and

yellow trains with 72 safety check points and two on-board computers per train, an on-ride photo station and 13 specially trained ride operators.

Kings Island opens for weekend operation Saturday, April 21. Gates open at 10 a.m. Daily operation begins Wednesday, May 23. Boomerang BayTM opens Saturday, May 26. For more information about Kings Island, guests can call the park at (800) 288-0808 or visit www.pki.com.

Individual gold season passes and four-pack family passes are now on sale by calling (800) 952-PASS [7277] or online at www.pki.com. Discounted park tickets are also available when purchased in advance by calling (800) 288-0808 or online at www.pki.com.

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: “FUN”) is a publicly traded partnership headquartered in Sandusky, Ohio. The Partnership, which owns and operates twelve amusement parks, five outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and six hotels, is one of the largest regional amusement park operators in the world. Its parks are located in Ohio, California, North Carolina, Virginia / District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Missouri, Michigan, and Toronto, Ontario. Cedar Fair also owns and operates Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure located in Las Vegas, and operates the Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy, California under a management contract.

# # #

Welcome home X-Flight/Firehawk. I can't tell you how mad I was when I heard we turned you down back in 2001. But your home now, and thats all that matters.

Now... What are we going to talk about until opening day? I guess we still have the construction progress to talk about, but besides that...

And was that the official release, or is KI still going to have some other announcement later today?

I have no clue. From what I heard, I believe that there is. I have heard that we may get another flat ride, but don't quote me on this.

Welcome home X-Flight/Firehawk. I can't tell you how mad I was when I heard we turned you down back in 2001. But your home now, and thats all that matters.

Now... What are we going to talk about until opening day? I guess we still have the construction progress to talk about, but besides that...

And was that the official release, or is KI still going to have some other announcement later today?

PKI never turned it down, Paramount parks at once owned exclusive rights to the vekoma design plans but never slated for a flying coaster at KI. Stealth was originally supposed to be put at PKI but that project was abondoned in favor of building SOB then due to rising SOB costs stealth got relocated to carowinds in stead of KI.

Welcome home X-Flight/Firehawk.  I can't tell you how mad I was when I heard we turned you down back in 2001.  But your home now, and thats all that matters.

Now... What are we going to talk about until opening day?  I guess we still have the construction progress to talk about, but besides that...

PKI never turned it down, Paramount parks at once owned exclusive rights to the vekoma design plans but never slated for a flying coaster at KI. Stealth was originally supposed to be put at PKI but that project was abondoned in favor of building SOB then due to rising SOB costs stealth got relocated to carowinds in stead of KI.

From what I heard was Stealth (I believe that was the name of the first one) went to it's park, and it had multiple issues. Paramounts didn't want 2 other coasters that were going to produce the same problems, so they backed out of the deal. Thats what I have heard. Plus your a bit of a year off. You said the rising cost of SOB, and unless you mean the construction cost, the first flyer opened the same year as SOB, thus SOB hasn't become a money eater machine.

But know hows. KI should be renamed protype park, for how many they have had.

King Cobra

FOF

Vortex for first 6 loops

Runaway Reptar

Son Of Beast (First wood hyper coaster, and the first looping woodie)

And I guess you could almost count Stealth then.

I believe I'm forgetting one, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Hendrick

I have no clue. From what I heard, I believe that there is. I have heard that we may get another flat ride, but don't quote me on this.

I guess we will figure it our at the announcement later on today. I hope more stuff will be released such as images or videos. I also would like to know other general improvements. It also seems from what I have read on forums that we may get another flat.

-Jake

I mean an animation that shows any themeing if any. Also one that shows what the area ill look like now and how Firehawk fits in its surroundings.

-Jake

Welcome home X-Flight/Firehawk.  I can't tell you how mad I was when I heard we turned you down back in 2001.  But your home now, and thats all that matters.

Now... What are we going to talk about until opening day?  I guess we still have the construction progress to talk about, but besides that...

From what I heard was Stealth (I believe that was the name of the first one) went to it's park, and it had multiple issues. Paramounts didn't want 2 other coasters that were going to produce the same problems, so they backed out of the deal. Thats what I have heard. Plus your a bit of a year off. You said the rising cost of SOB, and unless you mean the construction cost, the first flyer opened the same year as SOB, thus SOB hasn't become a money eater machine.

But know hows. KI should be renamed protype park, for how many they have had.

King Cobra

FOF

Vortex for first 6 loops

Runaway Reptar

Son Of Beast (First wood hyper coaster, and the first looping woodie)

And I guess you could almost count Stealth then.

I believe I'm forgetting one, but I'm not sure.

Coasters are planned well in advance and both the Stealth and SOB concepts were thought of before construction was even cosnidered. Park manager Tim Fischer of Paramounts Kings Island favored a new wooden coaster deisgn (that would eventually turn into Son Of Beast) in favor of the flying coaster concept. Paramount parks owned multiple rights to coaster designs that had been done before. Originally PKI had planned to go with a GCI built woodie that would be of the same design and layout as the original Airplane Coaster at Playland park in Rye New York. However, well before 2000 it was decided to go with the SOB concept for marketing purposes and Premeir rides RCCA division were the only ones willing to build the SOB design. Eventually Paramount Parks realised that putting Stealth at PGA was a bad idea. The maintenance costs of stealth were hard for the parks maintenace team to keep up with and the coaster failed to bring in the desired crowds. The decision was made to relaocate the coaster within the chain and build a water park at PGA. Paramount Parks then CEO Jane Cooper proposed relocating Stealth to PKI, park manager Tim Fischer declined due to the fact that Son Of Beast had been racking up maintenance and upkeep costs through out its very few years of operation and Stealth would not fit well into Fischers park budget so then Stealth went to Carowinds where Tim Fischer irnonically would eventually become GM of in 2005. Now, the designs for X Flight and Batwing were once held exclusively by Paramount Parks under the management of Jane Cooper shortly before stealth was built, during the construction of Stealth and the final product it was realised that PP would no longer be interested in purchasing any more coasters similar to x flight and they gave up the rights. Six Flags then contracted Vekoma to build X flight and Batwing.

Ok, that makes sence. I was thinking that SOB was 2001, not 2000. Everything lines up now. Thanks for explaining.

Too bad GCI didn't build SOB. Would have been a better company.

So SOB is a knock off of Airplane Coaster, or was that idea scrapped in favor of their own idea? And we got Runaway Reptar instead of the flying one.

Edited by Hendrick

^No, the airplane design plans were owned by Paramount parks and they were going to contract the job out to GCI to build them a coaster at KI based off of those plans, however Fischer and his management team felt it would be better to market and compete against rival parks by going with the Son Of Beast concept. They still had pending lawsuits and charges against Premeir rides, so after GCI, intamin, and God knows who else said to hell with their SOB design, Premeir cut the park a deal that ended up being disasterous for both parties. We got SOB....Premeir got more lawsuits.

I'm pretty sure that's a screwup by the media.

From the press release:

"After boarding their four-across yellow and red pilot seats, guests are lowered backward and begin their ascent up the 115-foot-tall red and steel gray lift hill"

Trains are red and yellow, ride is red and steel gray.