Hendrick

Poor Geauga Lake

I check www.geaugalaketoday.com a lot to see how much of X-Flight is gone, and whats still left. Well, now on their website, they are loosing their monorai. The track is disapearing.

It has also been rumored that Steel Venom, probably in the top 3 rides there, is also leaving. They had to have a horrible year last year.

You know... they say a company is only as strong as its weakest link...perhaps Geauga Lake is towards the bottom of the CF Giant company? Who knows?

We knew the monorail was going. When CF announced that X-Flight was being dismantled they also mentioned the monorail was going as well. In a way we sort of expected it since it was closed most of last season. It pretty much fulfilled its life expectancy.

As for Venom, if it wasn't for someone coming across a 2007 park map in the Cedar Point/Geauga Lake Group Guide then we would not have known about it being gone from the map (as well as a photo showing the twist spike being airbrushed out of the background). Since the park isn't opening until late May they still have plenty of time to remove it as I'd say 80% of X-Flight is gone now.

It sucks seeing your home park in the state its in right now. It makes the future seem questionable.

I'm sure its at the bottom of their chain. For one thing, it's way to close to Cedar Point for it to even contend with the major parks.

I'm starting to get the impression though that the "De-Six Flags" is becoming "Remove anything that is new within the last 5 years." But, Geauga Lake used to be a family park. And that was when it did the best, attendance figures. (From what I have heard anyways.) So maybe CF is trying to get back to that stage too, I don't know.

However, Steel Venom does look like a fun ride. Lets see, where else do we have some extra room at the park? :P

What is the link to the park map? I want to see how Cedar Fair is laying them out. I'm sure most of the park maps are similar, just like all the new logos.

And does anyone know what exactly happened to it during the summer? All I know is a car was destroyed. Did the car come off the track somehow? Was anyone hurt?

EDIT: I'm not sure how reliable wikipedia is, but take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Venom_(...a_Lake)#Removal

Removal

At ACE's No Coaster Convention 2007, the Geaugea Lake park map did not show Steel Venom on it. Along with that, the park's photos of that area had the Steel Venom spikes airbrushed out. On February 3, 2007, a Cedar Fair representative confirmed that the ride will be removed from Geauga Lake. This is the second major roller coaster to be removed from the park before the 2007 season.

Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by Hendrick

Geauga Lake used to have a real cozy vibe. Lots of warm, orange, brown, red and yellow paint schemes, charming building facades, and nice family rides like Big Ditch, Sky Glide, Geauga Queen and the Monorail (RIP). I even liked that sun face logo thing that used to be all over the park. I never expected it to become a coaster mecca- It was great the way it was.

Now everything is painted in light purples and an ugly hues of blue with spread out concrete expanses. Maybe I'm stuck in the late 70s/early 80s, but I think a parks charm does have some to do with theming. Plus, when you start ripping out good rides with no new ones planned, that hurts no matter what way you slice it. I hope it finds its niche again before it dies all together...

I believe Cedar Fair is doing this with good intentions. This will either work, and boost the attendance, or it will kill the park.

Right right... Because when I think "attendance boosts" I think of ripping out 2 roller coasters....

I'm serious though. Geauga Lake was always a family atmosphere. They had very few coasters, so you didn't have "crazy teenage kids" running around the whole park. Sea World was across the lake, and Six Flags killed that. When I was there, they had very very few animals there.

Six Flags killed Geauga Lake. CF is trying to get back to what it was in it's prime, a family park. It wasn't a park filled with roller coasters, it wasn't a park trying to break records, it wasn't a park that people traveled from across the country to go to. It was a family park. Six Flags forgot about that. And the attendance has reflect that.

Edited by Hendrick

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/stories_view...._direction.html

However, the attractions will not be ignored completely. Falfas noted that two of the park's thrill rides are scheduled for new expensive paint jobs -- one will which will also have cameras installed in every seat so visitors can buy a video memento of their ride and a movie/simulator ride is being re-themed.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by TOPGUN1993

Speaking of cameras, does anyone know where the camera will be located on Firehawk? The one press release said somewhere that there will be on board pictures. Pending on the spot, I will buy one. (As long as it's actually on the ride, not a spot right before the hill. **Cough cough** Son of Beast).

I really want to see how their going to have the cameras. Most of the ride, your head is looking at the ground, otherwise you get a bit of a stiff neck. The one thing I dislike about the ride is that you can't tell how far up the hill you are.... Thats how limited your vision is.

If you've been on Superman Ultimate Flight, they have the cameras at the bottom of the pretzel loop. I think the camera will be either somewhere around the loop where you are on your back or maybe while in the flying position prior to it.

I heard the rumor that Steel Venom was being removed also this year. Is WOF getting it for 08'? I also heard that DP was getting a wood coaster in 08' maybe The Villian will be moved there. Why are they getting rid of all the rides at the park? Are they going to sell GL in the next few years for real estate because the park isn't making money? This is my prediction only time will tell what happens to GL.

The Villain isn't really wooden coaster. It's more of a hybrid coaster, because of the steal structure.

They said that they are re-habbing both The Villain and Raging Wolf Bobs. If they are selling the park, I don't see why the would bother doing that. I honestly believe that they are trying to make it a true family atmosphere again.

I heard the rumor that Steel Venom was being removed also this year. Is WOF getting it for 08'? I also heard that DP was getting a wood coaster in 08' maybe The Villian will be moved there. Why are they getting rid of all the rides at the park? Are they going to sell GL in the next few years for real estate because the park isn't making money? This is my prediction only time will tell what happens to GL.

Why dont you read whole topics instead of posting mindless drivle?

It was confirmed by Cedar Fair that steel venom is being removed....its not a rumor...its fact! No one said they were removing the viliain, its still on the new GLP map and website, they're not getting rid of all the rides. If you would just ready you'd know that they're working on a new image and new plan for the park and that future attractions are planned, but havent been anounced.

Villain isn't going anywhere. Much needed track work has been performed on the ride including straightening out the trick track (about time!)

What CF is doing is just cleaning out the front part of the park. X Flight and Steel Venom just don't fit in anymore.

I don't really see why the would retrack the Villain, and then move it next year. If they know that their planning to take it out after this year, save yourself some money and do it when it's at the new park.

Taking out 2 coasters and not putting in anything new to replace them and leaving the land on that side of the park empty is going to make the park look empty. I hope it works for them. I'll go to CP for rides/coasters because GL won't have any good coasters left except Dominator.