Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

New ride at Kings Island?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0344/1077/COL02

New ride at Kings Island?

BY JESSICA BROWN | JLBROWN@ENQUIRER.COM

MASON - So what are those neon-green pieces of metal in the parking lot of Paramount's Kings Island?

Could they be chunks of the park's newest roller coaster? The rumor mill says yes, and to many, the hunks of metal look familiar.

Park officials have confirmed that a new $10 million thrill ride will be coming this summer but won't give out details until Feb. 5.

However, fan Web sites are abuzz with speculation, saying it's the former Geauga Lake coaster called X-Flight.

"If that is what it is, that'd be a nice addition," said Don Helbig, a former Fairfield resident and member of American Coaster Enthusiasts. "They've (Kings Island) got some great wooden coasters, but they needed something new in the steel family."

For the past few days, park fans have been keeping tabs on - and taking photos of - the comings and goings of heavy equipment and trucks carrying pieces of what is believed to be the park's first new roller coaster since the Italian Job: Stunt Track opened in 2005.

If it is the X-Flight, it would be the park's first major steel coaster since the Vortex opened in 1987.

X-Flight is a 3,340-foot-long, 115-foot-tall steel coaster featuring a 66-foot-tall loop and several corkscrew twists.

The $15 million coaster was the most popular thrill ride at Geauga Lake amusement park in Aurora while it operated from 2001 to 2006.

It was the Midwest's first "flying" coaster. Riders get strapped into seats that recline so they are flat on their backs. About halfway up the lift hill, the whole coaster train flips and riders are facing the ground, dangling from the train at 51 mph.

Geauga Lake and Kings Island are both owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment Co.

Jim Knippenberg contributed to this report.

Article says the first major steel coaster since Vortex, so SOB doesn't count. However, you're right - what about FoF and IJ:ST? She mentions IJ, but I guess since it's a milder ride she doesn't consider it a major coaster. FoF is inside, so I guess some people think it could be made of straw for all they know! Plus, F/O seems to be a pretty big deal - it's right at the front of the park and is quite fun!

Not to rag on this reporter too much, but she mentions that the trains "flip over" half way up the lift hill. As pics of x-flight show, that "flip" happens just off the lift before the first drop. I'm pretty sure the lift chain couldn't manage a "flip"!! Reporters, gotta love 'em.

EDIT: Reports continue about the $10m price tag. I'm not sure what it will cost to remove, transport, paint and install this coaster, but it will not be near $10m! It will be considerable, but not $10m!!! I'm thinking the quoted investment price is just a bit of corporate PR spin and takes into account the aforementioned costs plus the book value of the ride. Since the ride is already paid for, they won't actually be spending the whole $10m, but KI will have about that much in expenses and new assets added to their balance sheet. Since GL and KI are owned by the same corp., it's an intra company transfer - going from one "divison" to another.

Edited by KYCoasterGuy

The 10 million dollars is not solely for X flight, on February 5th youll find out that we are getting more than just x flight, not necesarily more rides but more fun definently. Remember, the decision to move X flight from the fluttering Geauga Lake was Cedar Fairs decision and with the acquisition Cedar Fair promised to uphold CBS' capital investment. So we are still getting what CBS planned as well as CF's decision to move X flight and what CBS had planned is not as thrilling as x flight but will surely be...entertaining!

CombatStupendous89: Thanks for explaining that. I wan't aware CBS had major plans for PKI before the buy-out.

What's up with GL? Why are they having problems? The newspaper article mentions XF was GL most popular ride, so why remove it if the park is already suffering? (Not that I'm complaining...)

The 10 million dollars is not solely for X flight, on February 5th youll find out that we are getting more than just x flight, not necesarily more rides but more fun definently. Remember, the decision to move X flight from the fluttering Geauga Lake was Cedar Fairs decision and with the acquisition Cedar Fair promised to uphold CBS' capital investment. So we are still getting what CBS planned as well as CF's decision to move X flight and what CBS had planned is not as thrilling as x flight but will surely be...entertaining!

However, that post makes it sound like that they were planning a Coaster for us though. No way will we get two this year.

I don't think anybody really knows what CBS had in store for the park. That $10 mill that CF earmarked could be for not only X-Flight but a revamp of whereever they decided to put the thing. I definitely think we will see something really cool for KI, probably a flat ride, but it'll be cool, just like Delirium was, maybe not record breaking but exciting none-the-less. WHAT A YEAR its going to be !!!! :lol:

Figures the the year Cedar Fair starts to improve the park with new roller coaster I decide to move to Florida. .-.

*Foe Sighs*

Regardless, it looks great. It'll be neat to ride X-Flight here at KI... and who knows what else is Cedar Fair is planning. Time will tell!

-Foe-

I don't think anybody really knows what CBS had in store for the park. That $10 mill that CF earmarked could be for not only X-Flight but a revamp of whereever they decided to put the thing. I definitely think we will see something really cool for KI, probably a flat ride, but it'll be cool, just like Delirium was, maybe not record breaking but exciting none-the-less. WHAT A YEAR its going to be !!!! :lol:

I'm sure you guys have read somewhere that I believe KI is ONLY getting X-Flight, nothing else. But, I have decided to jump ships. I've been told KI will get something else, so I guess I will say it here. I change my opinion, and KI will get more than just X-Flight.

But on the 5th, I believe KI will announce all their plans. Of course X-Flight will be the main highlight of it, but I'm sure they will announce their plans for the upcoming year.

^ Sure the re-theming and SOB trains and all that crap costs money...but more than likely the SOB trains aren't coming out of that $10 million investment earmarked by CF. I would lean towards that being more of either a. a capital improvement or b. some sort of repair account. Regardless, like Combat said awhile ago, CF is legally bound to move forward with whatever CBS had planned for the park this year, its a done deal, so whether that is a coaster (doubtful), a flat-ride, something for BB, or a new restaurant, or whatever in the world it is KI is getting it, whether or not that is part of the $10 mill is really beside the point.