Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

'Major new thrill ride' coming to Kings Island

http://www.daytondailynews.com/hp/content/...2307pkiweb.html

'Major new thrill ride' coming to Kings Island

Park mum on details; $10M earmarked for 2007 capital program

By Denise G. Callahan

Staff Writer

Kings Island is being a bit coy about its newest attraction slated to come on line this year.

The mega park's new owner, Sandusky-based Cedar Fair L.P., announced that about $10 million has been earmarked in the 2007 capital program that includes the arrival of a "major new thrill ride" at Kings Island.

Maureen Kaiser, manager of Marketing and Communications for the Mason amusement park, confirmed a new ride is coming, but was mum on other details.

The park has about 364 acres of developed property out of a total land mass of around 700 acres – so they have room to grow, Kaiser said.

Cedar Fair bought Kings Island last summer as part of a five-park package of Paramount properties. Cedar Fair paid $1.24 billion for the parks.

Kaiser said there have been a number of changes at Kings Island since the new parent moved in. The annual Winterfest event was cancelled due to low attendance and 15 people were let go because of some restructuring efforts.

On the positive end, however, Kaiser said guests of the park will notice an increased attention to cleanliness and courtesy. Park managers will be readily identified as they are now required to wear ties, and she said there will be more "litter getters" and trash cans.

Chief among the new focuses is creating an atmosphere that is friendly and entertaining for the entire family from toddlers to teens to parents and grandparents.

"We are going to appeal to the whole family," she said. "This will be our 35th anniversary, and it is going to be an exciting year."

Contact this reporter at (513) 696-4525 or dcallahan@coxohio.com.

The park has about 364 acres of developed property out of a total land mass of around 700 acres – so they have room to grow, Kaiser said.

Wow.

Also, it's been discussed the 10 mil, that there has to be something more. Someone at another forum made a good point though.

There are two pieces of track per truck. 230 miles from GL to KI. One way. So you have to double that, for a round trip. Those trucks have to get home somehow, eh?

A RV gets around 4 MPG. Well be nice, and say a semi truck gets around 6 MPH. Diesel here is $2.50 (half way inbetween both parks.) So, 230*2=460 (round trip). 460/6=76.66(gallons of gas). 76.66*2.50=191.66. 191.66 dollars just to transfer two pieces of track from Geauga Lake to Kings Island, and to bring the truck home again. Lets not forget labor, but we won't calculate that in. The wage would be a total guess, so we'll let that one slide. Now... think how many pieces of track there is. Now lets add the support beams, and the station. O, lets not forget about the labor cost to prep the land to rebuild it, pay for the foundation to be built, labor for the wiring, rebuilding the track, safety test, new coat of paint, building the line, retheming the area. You also have to pay for Geauga Lakes work, with them having to take the ride down themselves. A lot of money. A lot of it.

But, lets go back to the price. 191.66 just to transfer two pieces of steal to KI. Why on earth would CF transport the steal to KI, which is south, and then send it back up north to MGA. Waste of money. CP is a good point to put all the steal to hold. It's the closest park to both KI and MGA. If it was heading north, thats where I would expect the track to go.

Thats really a good point especially for those that say its not going to stay here. Nods to the math there also lol. Is there a rough estimate to how much track is currently at the park as of now?

On www.screamscape.com they said,

"The local media reports that Kings Island will announce their new coaster project on February 5th."

That means they changed it from tommorow to February 5th.

:(

Like Combat said its because other parks like six flags are having press releases tomorrow and KI doesnt want to be caught up in that whirlwind of press.

and its not X-Flight ..it's King Cobra's Vengence! ;) :o

I predict, just as someone else (jorhawle maybe??) suggested, that it will be another Borg Assimilator. From what I can see from x flight pics at rcdb.com, it looks like there is room in the middle of the helix to place the Borg ship. Pretty cool, as I'm a ST-NG fan and the Borg is the best villian they've ever had.

^ that would kinda fit in with the whole FOF theme down that way if that's where the ride is going...but I kinda think this thing will be a creature of its own, not copied off of anywhere...new paint, new name, to go with the new location. Just my opinion.

Ok, I'll be the first to say it. What does BORG stand for?

Not sure if this what it means but Borg I think is some short of Star Trek Charater.My name sugestions would be Space Trek