Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Video Preview Release: The Bat

This video will be featured in the new Videos page of our Kings Island History section when a significant update to that section is released some times this week. But for now, we can give you a preview!

This video features the original Arrow/HUSS promotional video for The Bat, followed by a segment from the Kid's World show featuring even more video of The Bat in action, accompanied by interviews of Bat riders.

I've been having problems with my video editing program, so this is a rough draft, but all the video is there. When the History update is released, this video will have the proper formatting.

To preview the video, CLICK HERE!

Can't get the link to work. I keep getting a "downloading from site" message but nothing ever happens. I usually have no trouble with video. Any ideas? I'm REALLY wanting to see this!! Thanks.

Well crap, I don't have the right software to play this at work. I'm not allowed to download software to this computer, and I only have dial-up at home. Can this be put into a different file type, something MediaPlayer will support? Thanks.

Never mind, I got it to work. Wow, nice shots of the ol' Bat in action! Only got to ride it once, but at least in the front seat. The Bat heads on the front of the cars were so cool to an 11 year old - and still pretty cool to a 37 year old! Looks as though the cars were joined only on the track, not down at the car level. I thought other Arrow suspendeds were coupled at the track and the car level both????

Coasterdad, did they have a planned last day for it or do you mean last day of the season before it was removed. For example, did they announce they were removing it and you rushed to get in your last rides? Thanks for sharing!

Nope just went to the park, when we got there it was open got in line and just kept riding until it broke down, the next day we went to the park and the late Ruth Voss PR person said that they didn't think it was going to operate for the rest of the year. After that they said it was going to be gone.

Again, just an awesome video - thanks for putting this up.

Question: I remember just a bit about the tv commercial that KI aired in '81 for The Bat, and it vaguely resembled the opening of this video with the graveyard scene. Anybody else remember what I'm talking about? It also showed The Bat operating through fog, and had a voice-over that said something to the effect of "Kings Island, where Beasts, Bats and Demons lurk".

I'm running on a Mac and am unable to encode videos to WMV.

I have a video converter that can change a .mov to either .wmv/asf, .mpeg-1/mpeg-2, .avi, vcd/svcd. Its called X Video Converter, and they have a free trial. If you want, I'll change the video for you.

I'm running on a Mac and am unable to encode videos to WMV.

I have a video converter that can change a .mov to either .wmv/asf, .mpeg-1/mpeg-2, .avi, vcd/svcd. Its called X Video Converter, and they have a free trial. If you want, I'll change the video for you.

I could change it for you through Windows media player.

As a kid, I used to stare longingly at The Bat... Because I couldn't ride it. Every time I was there, it was closed. It really killed me. That orange and black color scheme was so wicked and I knew it was a very special coaster. I asked my Dad why it was closed and he said someone got beheaded on the ride. Ha ha. That beheading rumor is all-pervasive. He didn't know any better, though...

That video was awesome! I have a feeling that Coasterdad is sitting upon a true gold mine of historic footage (his Geauga Lake history pages are outstanding). Any Enchanted Voyage footage in that massive archive?

Take care all,

Andy C.

Droid72, thats a another person that has that site. But Yes I do have a gold mine of video's that have to be transfer from VHS, 8mm to digital to get them uploaded. You can see some of my stuff over at http://www.coasterfanatics.com/ in the video section. Yes you do have to become a member to view most them. Some 80's comercials are the had ones to find. :blink:

I must chime in as well about the Bat. We too (my friend and myself) did get to ride it during its final runs. It would list the ride as closed at the park entrance but if you were nearby the ride during testing, sometimes you could snag a ride. The video has been up on CoasterFanatics.com for quite some time but nice to watch it again. I would love to see any new videos of this ride. Most people I know did not film it or do not have video any more.