KIExtreme Forums

Kings Island slapped with suit for $10M

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...170355/-1/CINCI

Kings Island slapped with suit for $10M

BY JESSICA BROWN | JLBROWN@ENQUIRER.COM

An Illinois man has filed a $10 million federal lawsuit against Paramount's Kings Island and several park police stemming from his arrest last summer on sexual-imposition charges.

Keith Bays, 44, says he was wrongfully arrested and "manhandled" by park police May 28 after two women complained about his behavior toward them.

The charges were later dismissed in Mason Municipal Court for lack of probable cause, according to the lawsuit. Bays alleges civil rights violations, false and unlawful arrest, assault and battery, and malicious prosecution. His attorney was unavailable for comment.

Kings Island officials refused comment on the lawsuit.

Bays said park police arrested him without probable cause, assaulted him and cursed at him. He said he suffered bruises on his upper body, pain, and dizziness, according to the lawsuit. Authorities also left his young children unattended while they detained him for questioning, according to the lawsuit. He is suing the unnamed officers individually.

According to a police report, the accusers, Kylie Groover, then 18, of Indiana, and an unnamed 14-year-old girl told police Bays struck up a conversation with them about a cell phone as he stood behind them in line at the Worlds Greatest Funnel Cakes. At one point, they said, Bays introduced himself, shook Groover's hand, then ran his hand down her side touching her breast, according to the report. He later made sexually suggestive gestures toward the two from across the room, they said.

Bays disputed the allegations. He denied having any sexual contact with the girls. He was arrested and taken to the Warren County jail.

Bays said he paid $5,000 for an attorney and to get out of jail. The case was dismissed July 18.

I dunno, stranger things have happened. I mean, they are going to have to find these girls, who are going to have to be willing to testify and then be able to come up with the same story. The whole bottom line really isn't necessarily his guilt, its how he was treated by the security and police that he is wanting money for. Yeah this will hinge on his guilt, but man this could get interesting. I could maybe see PKI settling with him out of court for less money because I can't see him getting $10 mill for this, especially since he only paid $5,000 for a lawyer. If he's guilty I would think he won't get a dime.

Theres no way he will win. These false allegations against the police department will not hold up against a man who was accused of sexually assaulting female minors.

And how do you know the allegations are false considering you dont kow anything about the case, the circumstances, or whate evidence is going to presented.

I'm finding it fishy that he's asking for $10 million just a couple weeks after the park announced that the 2007 capital will be $10 million...

Exactly what I was thinking. When I read the title on the main page, I thought it was because of the Son of Beast train... never heard anything about this.

I highly doubt he will get a dime, but if he does, it will be no where near his 10 mil he wants. That is crazy.

Do you really believe that the Kings Island Police Department would really do that? And if I don't know anything you don't know anything also.

Anybody, mind you, anyone can do anything at anytime if there is something to provoke them into doing it.

Do you really believe that the Kings Island Police Department would really do that? And if I don't know anything you don't know anything also.

Read what I said chris, I never claimed to know anything more than anybody and do I believe that KI police apprehended him in an innapropriate manner? No, I'd like to think they didnt but I've worked at that park for 4 years and have seen both police officers and security guards alike act in VERY innapropriate manners while on the job. Am I saying this man is innocent? No, I dont know, no one does, but that doesnt give you the right to automatically accuse him.

^Agreed... everyone would like to think that law enforcement anywhere wouldn't be overly aggressive (especially at a family amusement park) but the bottom line is that all it takes is for one idiot to lose track of his/her mind for a second and do something dumb. Likewise maybe the same could be said for the guy, maybe he is guilty, maybe he's innocent we don't know. There are a lot of questions remaining to be answered though. I'm in the midst of a law class in college and just scratching the surface on legal issues, but one question I have is why isn't this guy trying the police officers in question in a criminal suit. Usually the criminal suit comes before the civil suit, because if guilt is found in the criminal case, then it makes it so much easier to get the money in the civil case. Sounds like all this guy is concerned about right now is the money and not serving justice to those that (allegedly) injusticed him. Just a thought to chew on for everyone :D

jorhawle: This guy can't try the officers in a criminal suit. It's up to the DA in Mason to investigate and see if enough evidence exists of wrongdoing on the part of the officers in order to bring charges against them before a grand jury. If the grand jury agrees, the officers would then be indicted and therefore the case sent to jury trial.

^ The guy could bring charges against the officers for wrong doing, you are right that it wouldn't necessarily go to trial though, I got ahead of myself there. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still just overwhelmed at the whole $10 million thing.