Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Park dismantling coaster for move (X-Flight)

http://www.cleveland.com/newsflash/clevela...ylist=cleveland

Park dismantling coaster for move

11/22/2006, 3:48 a.m. ET

The Associated Press 

AURORA, Ohio (AP) — An amusement park is dismantling one of its newest and most popular roller coasters to move it to another park.

Workers at Geauga Lake recently started taking down X-Flight, a steel coaster near the park's front gate, said Bryan Edwards, a park spokesman.

The coaster will relocate in another park owned by Cedar Fair LP, the parent company of Geauga Lake. Cedar Fair operates a dozen amusement parks across the country, including Cedar Point in Sandusky. Edwards said he did not know where X-Flight would land.

There are no immediate plans to replace the coaster with another ride, Edwards said.

The removal of X-Flight follows another lackluster year at Geauga Lake. Attendance remained stagnant this year at around 700,000 visitors, similar to the 2005 and 2004 seasons, Edwards said.

Cedar Fair bought the park in 2004 from Six Flags, which sold it after watching attendance plunge for several years.

The loss of X-Flight and another ride — a monorail — doesn't mean Cedar Fair is losing faith in the park, Edwards said. Geauga Lake opened in 1888 and is one of the nation's oldest parks.

Cedar Fair has invested nearly $30 million over the past two years at Geauga Lake, adding an expansive water park named Wildwater Kingdom.

The $15 million ride made its debut at the park in 2001 as the first "flying coaster" in the Midwest. The coaster inverts riders to give them the sensation of soaring through the air. X-Flight stands 115 feet tall and reaches a top speed of 51 mph.

___

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

Another article, this one from the Plain Dealer:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindea...8180.xml&coll=2

Geauga Lake's X-Flight coaster is taking off for parts unknown

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

John Horton

Plain Dealer Reporter

Bainbridge Township - Geauga Lake is losing a twisting steel giant from its skyline, as one of its newest and most popular roller coasters is being dismantled for relocation to another amusement park.

Workers recently started taking down X-Flight from its location along Ohio 43 near the park's front gate, said Bryan Edwards, a Geauga Lake spokesman. The ride is destined for another park owned by Cedar Fair LP, the parent company of Geauga Lake. Cedar Fair operates a dozen amusement parks across the country, including Cedar Point in Sandusky; Edwards said he did not know where X-Flight would land.

There are no immediate plans to replace the coaster with another ride, Edwards said.

The removal of X-Flight follows another lackluster year at Geauga Lake, which straddles the border of Bainbridge Township and Aurora. Attendance remained stagnant this year at around 700,000 visitors, similar to the 2005 and 2004 seasons, Edwards said.

Cedar Fair bought the park in 2004 from Six Flags, which sold it after watching attendance plunge for several years.

In 2001, estimates placed the park's attendance at more than 2.7 million, making it the 24th busiest park in North America, according to the industry trade magazine Amusement Business. The slide started the next year.

The elimination of X-Flight and another ride - the aging monorail - should not be construed as Cedar Fair losing faith in the park, Edwards said. The company remains committed to Geauga Lake, which opened in 1888 and is one of the nation's oldest parks.

Cedar Fair has invested nearly $30 million over the past two years at Geauga Lake, adding an expansive waterpark named Wildwater Kingdom.

"Look at all we've added," Edwards said.

Rumors of X-Flight being erased from the park map began weeks ago on Internet sites and chat rooms devoted to Geauga Lake.

The speculation infuriated some posters. One wrote: "If X-Flight is removed, I won't be visiting GL anymore."

The $15 million ride made its debut at the park in 2001 as the first "flying coaster" in the Midwest. The coaster inverts riders to give them the sensation of soaring through the air. X-Flight cost $15 million to build; it stands 115 feet tall and reaches a top speed of 51 mph.

Another article, this one from the Plain Dealer:

http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindea...8180.xml&coll=2

Geauga Lake's X-Flight coaster is taking off for parts unknown

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

John Horton

Plain Dealer Reporter

Bainbridge Township - Geauga Lake is losing a twisting steel giant from its skyline, as one of its newest and most popular roller coasters is being dismantled for relocation to another amusement park.

Workers recently started taking down X-Flight from its location along Ohio 43 near the park's front gate, said Bryan Edwards, a Geauga Lake spokesman. The ride is destined for another park owned by Cedar Fair LP, the parent company of Geauga Lake. Cedar Fair operates a dozen amusement parks across the country, including Cedar Point in Sandusky; Edwards said he did not know where X-Flight would land.

The removal of X-Flight follows another lackluster year at Geauga Lake, which straddles the border of Bainbridge Township and Aurora. Attendance remained stagnant this year at around 700,000 visitors, similar to the 2005 and 2004 seasons, Edwards said.

In 2001, estimates placed the park's attendance at more than 2.7 million, making it the 24th busiest park in North America, according to the industry trade magazine Amusement Business. The slide started the next year.

The elimination of X-Flight and another ride - the aging monorail - should not be construed as Cedar Fair losing faith in the park, Edwards said. The company remains committed to Geauga Lake, which opened in 1888 and is one of the nation's oldest parks.

Cedar Fair has invested nearly $30 million over the past two years at Geauga Lake, adding an expansive waterpark named Wildwater Kingdom.

"Look at all we've added," Edwards said.

Rumors of X-Flight being erased from the park map began weeks ago on Internet sites and chat rooms devoted to Geauga Lake.

The speculation infuriated some posters. One wrote: "If X-Flight is removed, I won't be visiting GL anymore."

The $15 million ride made its debut at the park in 2001 as the first "flying coaster" in the Midwest. The coaster inverts riders to give them the sensation of soaring through the air. X-Flight cost $15 million to build; it stands 115 feet tall and reaches a top speed of 51 mph.

Hope it comes to us.

Who thinks the ride is coming to PKI? It would make since, clearing land behind Racer. PKI hasn't made an announcement yet on 2007 plans. I think we will have a new (used) coaster in our line up next year.

I'm not gonna get big into this untill they actually say it is coming here. But if it does come here that would be awesome, it would save me a trip to Geauga Lake, the only reason I have gone there is to ride X-Flight...so I would def. enjoy it coming here...but we will see.

2008? Never underestimate how quickly things can move. Especially, if they are not anticipating to open the ride until the kick off of daily operations towards the end of May. That buys them an extra month. Of course, that is assuming that the ride is coming to Kings Island. Which as this point in time, is really any one`s guess.

heh heh heh heh, im gonna go ride this thing like a zillion times in one day as soon as it opens at KI, how will I get past the line? Oh, I will be very stealthy! Then, on the biggest day of the season I'm gonna help one stupendous band show that one great rock show can change the world, or atleast a park. Cant wait for 2007!!!!

I believe a certain ACER said X fligth being removed would never happen! Looks like all that gravy clouded your vision son!

If it did come to Kings Island what do you thick it would be called, and what colors do you thick it would be I thick it wiil be called Steel Dragen and the colors red track and yellow supports, and , or it will be the same green,black, and called X-Filght

Edited by Rollerzach

If it does come to Kings Island, it really won't take as long as you think. It's not like it has to move very far. I could see it opening Late May or Early June. Why else would they be clearing the land for behind Racer and next to FoF?

Wow... didn't some guy post that we'd be getting X-Flight in the "What's coming in 2007" thread? In any a case, it would be awesome if we got X-Flight. And it does make sense...

-Foe-

^ read what Donald said

XFlight looks like it's a quick ride to fly through, still looks cool though. About 3,000 feet long, 2 minutes, 115 feet... sounds good. it'll be the... 4th tallest in the park? or 5th?