Hendrick

Son Of Beast Closed for good?

I was at the park on 7-21-2006, and it was the 2nd ride I did, and it was opened.

Ok, well 2/3 years ago, it didn't open, at least on Memoral Day weekend, it didn't open untill an hour after rest the park opened. And if that is for the whole time that it has been opened, then that would hurt the number of rides.

During the fall seasons of 1999 Express sometimes didn't open till noon, because they were constructing SOB and working really close to the track at Express. So as a precaution they shut us down when they were that close to us working.

I'de say Vortex is definatly a signature ride. When I talk to friends about the park or just mention Kings Island to anybody, the first ride they talk about is Vortex.

Signature rides at KI are as follows

-SoB

-The Beast

-The Vortex

-Racer

-Top Gun

-IJ:ST

-Runaway Reptar

Also the most loved attraction by families is SDATHC!!!

I have heard that CF will be doing a ton of work during the off season-I mean they canceled WinterFest so in 2007 you'll see lots of new changes.

Edited by TRexRage1993

During the fall seasons of 1999 Express sometimes didn't open till noon, because they were constructing SOB and working really close to the track at Express.  So as a precaution they shut us down when they were that close to us working.

I'm going to say it was the 2003 season it was closed.

I remember, at the time, I was just starting to like roller coasters. A 200 foot drop was more that I wanted at the time. But, I went to the park with my aunt, uncle, cousins, and parents. Everyone rode the SOB first, and my Aunt and I sat out, (I was 12 at the time. At 11 is the first time I liked the Beast). We were trying to get her to ride the Beast that day at the park. So, we first went to go ride Aventure Express, cause I knew she would like it. There was a trash can in front of the line, what they normally do when the ride is closed. So, then we went to go ride the Racer, cause the hill is like 15 feet shorter than the Beast. She hated that, and I almost lost my hat on the ride. Fell out of my hands, and I somehow recaught it. (Ya, it was the '03 season. It was my Ohio State 2002 National Champs hat). Then after we were with the racer, (everyone was still on the SOB), we went to go wait for them, when we saw Adventure Express was open. So, it would be more a half hour. (And that wraps up my long story that no one really cares about.)

I'm proud to say that the SOB is now my favorite ride. Feel like I have to say that after the story.

But, if in the '99 season it was closed for half the day, then that is more time when the Beast is riding, taking passangers, and Adventure Express sitting Idol.

Edited by Hendrick

I'de say Vortex is definatly a signature ride. When I talk to friends about the park or just mention Kings Island to anybody, the first ride they talk about is Vortex.

-SoB

-The Beast

-The Vortex

-Racer

-Top Gun

-Runaway Reptar

I have heard that CF will be doing a ton of work during the off season-I mean they canceled WinterFest so in 2007 you'll see lots of new changes.

I disagree with # 5 on that list.

-SoB

-The Beast

-The Vortex

-Racer

-Top Gun

-Runaway Reptar

Like it or not Top Gun is popular with guests. Those are the top coasters people flock to at PKI errr KI. :D

-SoB

-The Beast

-The Vortex

-Racer

-Top Gun

-Runaway Reptar

Like it or not Top Gun is popular with guests. Those are the top coasters people flock to at PKI errr KI. :D

Every time I ride it, there is no one in line.

For me, I never have a line Racer, Beast, Vortex, and a 5 minute wait for Son of Beast. Every signature ride at Kings Island is a walk-on silly! :lol:

I would think of Flight of Fear as more of a signature ride than Top Gun, it was the first LIM (duh) and that's one ride I've never waited for less than 10 minutes for. I guess it isn't unique though. Is/was Kings Dominions Flight of Fear a carbon copy?

Edit: "Everything signature ride" :lol:

Edited by Guest

Went to the park again yesterday-here is what I've observed from SOB-when I was on Top Gun, sat in the front seat, got a really great view. There is a trailer there just below the top gun ride, and it has the SOB insignia all over it-I forget what the actual wording was, something to do with investigations of ride film or something like that. I asked the friend I was with what that meant, and he thought it had something to do with the ongoing investigation. I think it's safe to say that it won't be back this season, but like in my earlier post, there are sections of the ride which have new lumber in it-I guess the parts they have taken to study the structure of it. latest I have heard is part of it is to be rebuilt. Like my friend said-some of the other wooden coasters in other parks have steel bases-maybe that is all this one would need to make it great and safe. I don't think they will trash it completely-but I'm pretty sure it won't run again this year. Besides, if they have all winter to maybe make the helix steel, that would fix it in my opinion. Maybe wooden coasters just aren't able to handle this type of height-anyway, that is my observation.

And the new timber that is on Son of Beast was from the offseason rehab that they had done to it. If you remember, it was closed all of October last year, and did not open until the middle of May this year. That is because they were adding a lot of new wood to the ride in the hopes of making the ride better. I do not know if the park has started to disassemble the ride yet under the supervision of the State of Ohio`s Agriculture Department.

And the new timber that is on Son of Beast was from the offseason rehab that they had done to it. If you remember, it was closed all of October last year, and did not open until the middle of May this year. That is because they were adding a lot of new wood to the ride in the hopes of making the ride better. I do not know if the park has started to disassemble the ride yet under the supervision of the State of Ohio`s Agriculture Department.

Haven't seen any evidence of the wrecking ball. All is still intact from the various parts of the park. I hadn't noticed the new lumber until after the accident, but then again I wasn't looking as closely before as I do now.

Has anyone else noticed something missing, maybe...the train on the hill? I understand that they're doing this de-re-something-construction thing, but how exactly did they get the train off the hill?

In order from likeliest to unlikeliest ways that I can think of:

Remove the under-friction wheels and lift the trains off with a crane...

lift up the chain dogs and roll it back (but where to?)...

Run it through and put the train and ride in danger, risk making it worse, etc. (lets use common sense here...)

O_O I type this as All You Need to Know: Roller Coasters talks about how great Son of Beast is... ;_;

Edit: I had some poor wording...

Edited by Guest

Yes they removed the train sometime on Monday. Both trains as of Monday were on the transfer track. I will look tomorrow and see if they are still on the transfer track. But I have a feeling they may be gone.

On 8/18 Son of Beast cycled thru quite a few times. I have pics in my user gallery dated 8/18. If they ever get approved so you can see them. :)

Or you can view them here.

PKI pics 8/18

Edited by PKIVortex