Hendrick

Son Of Beast Closed for good?

Ok, I went to the park today, was there for like 8 hours. Still dizzy from riding the Beast 11 times. No line at all, was a straight walk on.

Anyways, I'm sure this has been reported here already, but, just incase.

When I was at the park, we went to find out just to make sure that the Son of Beast was still closed, which it still was. But, the guy told us,

"How many issues we have had with that ride, in such a short lifespan, we are contemplating the idea of actually just tearing it down."

Now, he is a park employee, still not sure how much he would know.

Later, in one of the short lines for the front seat of the Beast, one of the workers said that Cedar Fair hasn't changed the park this year all that much. The have tightened up the dress code, and has kept a cleaner park, however, a lot of changes will happen over the off season, to the Roller Coasters.

So, that’s what I have heard. I don’t like it, I don’t like it at all.

When I was at the park, we went to find out just to make sure that the Son of Beast was still closed, which it still was. But, the guy told us,

"How many issues we have had with that ride, in such a short lifespan, we are contemplating the idea of actually just tearing it down."

Now, he is a park employee, still not sure how much he would know.

Are they allowed to say that?! I'm certain that park and Cedar Fair executives have broached the idea of demolition, but as of now, I think it's just an idea, and not a plan. But for an employee standing at the ride's entrance. Usually, ride operators don't give out details why a ride is closed down. Believe me, I was one a few years ago.

...a little bit of redesigning by Cedar Fair would do wonders.

The thing is that "a little bit of dedesigning" is alot of redesinging. With a steel coaster you could probably pull up the CAD designs (if its a newer coaster) make a section a bit bigger, have the track peice made, pour a few footers and get some new supports with it.

Now for a wooden coaster, there are hundreds upon thousands of footers and millions of feet of wood. It isnt so easy to just "redesign."

The parts that really need to be redesigned are also the higest parts. The top of the hill after the first drop that leads into the rose bowl is just about ontop of the MCBR. If you were to move that turn a bit to the left (as if when you were riding) to make the heartline better, then you would have to add massive ammounts of supports on the other side of the MCBR and bring in even more wood.

If you were to completely reprofile the hill upto the turn into the rosebowl, the track would probably run into the track going to the loop. Then you would have to move the loop, and so on.

A little bit or redesinging could be possible though, just changing types of trains ,(those Intamin ones look "okay") and actually replacing bad segments of track.

Ok, lets clearify this up a bit.

"Are they allowed to say that?! I'm certain that park and Cedar Fair executives have broached the idea of demolition, but as of now, I think it's just an idea, and not a plan. But for an employee standing at the ride's entrance. Usually, ride operators don't give out details why a ride is closed down. Believe me, I was one a few years ago."

You and I are talking about a different section of the park. The employee that told me was standing in front of the park, right infrom of the big lake, next to the people taking the pictures.

And, I think I found the place where he got his information:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0344/1056/rss02

The newpaper questions the return of the ride. However, unless you read the last paragraph, then it makes it sound like it's closed for good.

And, I don't think that they can modify the coaster that much at all either. You change the layout, then some other piece of wood will have all the tentision, and eventually crack too.

The newpaper questions the return of the ride. However, unless you read the last paragraph, then it makes it sound like it's closed for good.

While fans wonder, industry experts say unequivocally that the Son of Beast will reopen - likely this season.

The Son of Beast is one of Kings Island's signature rides - along with the Beast and Vortex. Its looping, hilly hulk, constructed out of 378 miles of Southern yellow pine and Douglas fir, rises prominently along the park's skyline.

The coaster has been wildly popular, giving about a million rides a year.

"It's a great coaster among coasters," Spiegel said.

This is the last paragraph, I'd like to know where you got the idea that they say it will be closed for good? It's sounds like they think it might reopen. I have to stop reading these forums, both this sight and the other one. I have not found any one who knows what they are talking about.

The Son of Beast is one of Kings Island's signature rides - along with the Beast and Vortex.

I wish Vortex was a signature ride but it's not. I find Racer more of a signature ride.

I'de say Vortex is definatly a signature ride. When I talk to friends about the park or just mention Kings Island to anybody, the first ride they talk about is Vortex.

WILL 'SON' RISE AGAIN?

Fan Web sites buzz with speculation about whether Son of Beast will reopen. The coaster has been plagued with problems in its six-year life.

The ride was shut down shortly after its debut for mechanical problems. Kings Island sued the roller coaster's designer, blaming it for design defects, and won a $20-million judgment.

In 2001, two people suffered neck injuries on the ride. In 2003, a woman was sent to the hospital after complaining of back pain. However, inspections found no problems with the ride.

This time, investigators are re-combing every inch of the ride to figure out what happened July 9. Early reports indicate that a vertical beam in the double-helix area is cracked, which might have contributed to the big jolt that injured riders described feeling.

Thats where I got the part about it being closed for good, and plus the park employee.

The vortex is one of Kings Island main rides. The first with 6 inversions.

and the racer, at least forward, that ride is brutal. I never remember it being that bumpy before. It was to the point where it almost hurt to ride on it.

I was at the park on 7-21-2006 too, and at Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad, I herd a little kid ask an employee, ”Why is Son of Beast not running” and the worker said in a rude way “ we are not aloud to talk about it”. I said to my self that’s not very nice, he didn’t have to be mean to that kid. He could have just explained to him why he could not say any thing. Then the kid, and his Dad, left the line of Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad, and walked back to river Town. Racer started the 2nd Roller coaster Golden age, and the coaster wars. When you see the Eiffel Tower you know you are close to PKI. At won time Racer was the signature ride, but when Beast open, Beast is the ride that put PKI on the maps. Racer is just known for roller coasters. So I would say Beast is the signature ride.

i think the "park originals" like racer, beast, vortex, eiffle tower...etc... are all signature rides...usually one or all of the above are thought of first depending on the person. sob i think is a signature ride, but not as well ridden as the beast and what not.

As of 2000 here are the Top 10 most ridden rides of all time. It was in a newspaper. This is what the newspaper said, so don’t shot the messenger, if you disagree.

10. Congo falls

9. Viking Fury

8. Top Gun

7. Beastie

6. Phantom Theater

5. Flight Of Fear

4. Beast

3. Vortex

2. Adventure Express

1. Racer

As of 2000 here are the Top 10 most ridden rides of all time. It was in a newspaper. This is what the newspaper said, so don’t shot the messenger, if you disagree.

10. Congo falls

9. Viking Fury

8. Top Gun

7. Beastie

6. Phantom Theater

5. Flight Of Fear

4. Beast

3. Vortex

2. Adventure Express

1. Racer

On a yearly basest, or since it has been opened? If it since opening, I will ALMOST agree. Yearly, no way. The line for the Racer is never that long, compared to the beast, vortex, or even Flight of Fear.

With two tracks and four trains, the Racer has higher capacity thus it makes sense that it has more riders than the Beast. You can get more riders on Racer in the four minutes it takes for the Beast to make one circuit.

But the beast also has three trains. I believe the racer only runs 2 per track? It just seems to me that the beast would have more riders, especially since how bumpy the racer has become. At least forward. How is it backwards?

Even if the line for The Beast is an hour, and the line for Racer is 3 minutes, the trains are still getting filled, which is what count's. :P

I'm kind of surprised phantom theater is on that list. I liked it, and MUCH more than the Scooby Doo...shooty thingy. Still most people I go with would only ride it if we had done pretty much anything else. I guess if the cars get filled up. :P

If I'm not mistaken, Adventure Express has a very high capacity. Plus, people jump on it as they pass as there is hardly ever a wait time. I also believe it was pretty popular in its opening years. They even used to take pictures on it.

Edited by AgentSoB

the racer and adventure express arent as "scary" to most people. therefore, you get a lot of familys that ride them, but it still doesnt make sense, Ive waited in line for the beast for an hour after the park closed, and the racer probably didnt have anyone "dying" to ride it in the dark

They took your pictures?! Wow. Where at?

And, half the time though, Aventure Express doesn't open up till about an hour and half after rest of the park opens, at least not the last two times I've been there. And they do send out a lot of cars with a row or two empty. At least on the days when the park isn't crowded.