Rivertown

The End of FOF?

Drewbari, what does "SF" stand for? Sorry, not big on acronyms...

And thank God this is most likely a rumor. Long live Flight of Fear! (except its preshow... that has nothing to do with the actual ride)

-Foe-

SF=Six Flags

Yes, Paramount has been slowely killing Kings Island like a parasite since their original purchase of the park.

They killed Winterfest....Brought it back in 05! Wow...WINTERFEST should never have had to come back to begin with.

Flying Eagles, Flight Commander, King Cobra, Hanna Barbera Land, The Old Time Cars, Wild Animal Habitat, DESCENT SHOWS THAT ACTUALLY TRULY ENTERTAINED THE AUDIENCE, INTERNATIONAL STREETS INTENDED PURPOSE, the large Log Flume, being able to go the park without being constantly reminded of the outside world through the use of annoying televisions, giant movie posters, the name Paramount printed on everything within 5 feet ( seemingly ), and naming every ride after mostly movie flops.

This owner also took magnificently themed areas and ripped them to shreds to the point that they are no longer themed.

So yes, it is true that Paramount has literally destroyed all of the value that KINGS ISLAND (without the P) once had. Cedar Fair has a lot of work to do. But I think that they are probably the right company to do it. Although it will probably take years to undo all of the damage that Paramount did to the park.

M.F.

Have you really ever seen Racer talked about?

not on this site except when people want the old color scheme back. On pkic it is mentioned because of Racer Boy in the "Is PKI Haunted" topic.

hopefully the park will improve I am going back in august to make a list of all the crappy stuff that needs fixed or replaced. and one thing I do know beast is staying all my friends tell me beast is going but its not.

yeah, the park's 27 year old roller coaster, the roller coaster with the longest duration and longest wood, is being removed. They are then going to replace it with Italian Job: Stunt Crap 2. :P

Beast is staying, the park would have to be drunk to remove it

Flying Eagles

Fault on Paramount for moving the ride to Carowinds as the Phantom Flyers. What they should have done was moved Eagles to NU by where our Phantom Flyers are, and let Carowinds get the Kite Flyer.

Flight Commander

I believe there was a rumored death onboard the ride, in which case it was shut down. And wasn't that demolished before Paramount bought up the parks?

King Cobra

Rising maintenance costs and the steel expanding and contracting too much with the weather caused ths one to go down. All ideas on proposed rumors of KC sinking into the ground should be discarded at this moment.

Hanna Barbera Land

The only reason for HB's leave of absence was due to a contract between Paramount/CBS and Hanna-Barbera that would expire in either 2009 or 2010. The exact same thing happened to Carowinds and will happen to at least one other Paramount Park next year, as everyone's getting one last Paramount attraction for 2007.

The Old Time Cars

I'm guessing the cause of death was in part to the threat of increasing gas prices (though there are still Antique Cars at the other Paramount Parks). I honestly don't know the reason why they took it out, but putting the Stunt Track in its place was a stupid idea. Or does anyone here think replacing trees, bridges, and lakes with gravel, concrete, and billboards is a worthy trade?

Wild Animal Habitat

The cost for maintaing the habitats and taking care of the animals proved to be too much for the park. Not to mention running a monorail AND a SkyRide in the same park. And bseides, this was BEFORE Paramount bought the parks.

DESCENT SHOWS THAT ACTUALLY TRULY ENTERTAINED THE AUDIENCE

Tell that to the massive fan base of the Nickelodeon Celebration Parade, School of Rock, Tuned In! and Santa's Toy Factory shows. Don't step, son.

the large Log Flume

If I'm not mistaken, Kenton Cove's Keelboat Canal had more downtime than Delirium and Face-Off put together.

being able to go the park without being constantly reminded of the outside world through the use of annoying televisions, giant movie posters, the name Paramount printed on everything within 5 feet ( seemingly )

Well, one would expect that coming from a multibillion dollar MOVIE STUDIO COMPANY.

naming every ride after mostly movie flops

Technically, rides based off of movies are more of a hit than the movies themselves (ex: Waterworld Stunt Show), excluding Pirates of the Caribbean. And, I don't believe Delirium was based off of a Paramount movie.

My guess to FOF for PKD is that it's in the process of bing re-themed to somthing different. I'm guessing all signs point to a SoundWave theme, seeing as how rock and roll-themed coasters are all the rage now (eyeing Rockit Mountain), sans the MTV license.

^As I and other people have stated SEVERAL times, it has been confirmed, and was even in a Virginian newspaper, that the FOF at PKD was slated for removal to be relocated to Paramount's Canada's Wonderland. Paramount parks was planning a ride rotation program to begin in 2007 and PKI's FOF was to follow suit in the future. Those plans have been halted and Cedar Fair will have the decision now. There is NO pkd fof train at PKI, the PKD fof is still there.

Yeah, the early rumor was that the train here with orange seats was from PKD, but it was just our train with the seats replaced.

There is a third converted train for PKI's that made its appearance on the transfer track last year, but as far as I know they still have only run a maximum of 2 at a time.

^Correct, ever since Premeir bult the new trains there have been 3. 2 run each year while the third stays in the steel coaster maintenance building for maintenance. Each season one is rotated out and replaced with the one that was being worked on the previous season.

Riding on the train that was just replaced is pure bliss, let me tell you that.

...Just dont die! I think only Don will get that...

There is a third converted train for PKI's that made its appearance on the transfer track last year, but as far as I know they still have only run a maximum of 2 at a time.

I still don't understand why people call them "converted trains". In 2001 all 3 of the trains were brand new, and the other 4 old ones could still be spotted outside Steel Coaster Maintenance. In 2001 Train 3 was in service towards the end of the year, however like was mentioned another train was removed so they could do maintenace to it, and have continued the rotation.

"Flight Commander"

I believe there was a rumored death onboard the ride, in which case it was shut down. And wasn't that demolished before Paramount bought up the parks?

Flight Commander operated until the end of the 1995 season, the third year of Paramount. Why it was removed? Mechanical issues? Low ridership? Both? Drop Zone was to originally go on that site, a Giant Drop model. They were even setting up the platform to move the Flying Eagles there, but they went to Carowinds (boo!!). Since 1996, there has been no permanent ride on that site.

"The Old Time Cars"

I'm guessing the cause of death was in part to the threat of increasing gas prices (though there are still Antique Cars at the other Paramount Parks). I honestly don't know the reason why they took it out, but putting the Stunt Track in its place was a stupid idea. Or does anyone here think replacing trees, bridges, and lakes with gravel, concrete, and billboards is a worthy trade?

If it's gas prices, why do Cedar Point, Geauga Lake, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Indiana Beach, Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens, etc. etc. still have at least one antique car/gas powered car ride? Hopefully Cedar Fair gets creative and builds an antique car attraction surrounding the Italian Job at KI. I can't think of many other gentle family rides.

"Wild Animal Habitat"

The cost for maintaing the habitats and taking care of the animals proved to be too much for the park. Not to mention running a monorail AND a SkyRide in the same park. And bseides, this was BEFORE Paramount bought the parks.

The Sky Ride, originally installed at Coney Island around 1964, was moved to Kings Island for 1972, operating from Oktoberfest to Hanna-Barbera Land and over International Street. I remember that the last season it operated was in 1979 - mechanical issues? I'd love to see a sky ride at KI in the future, but don't hold your breath.

The Wild Animal Habitat Monorail last operated in 1993, the first year of Paramount, and you walked underneath the monorail to get to Top Gun. 1993 was a transition year for the park (just like 2006-07 will be). Why it was removed, I'll bet was simply because it didn't fit with Paramount's image and vision as a theme park with Hollywood-based thrills.

"DECENT SHOWS THAT ACTUALLY TRULY ENTERTAINED THE AUDIENCE"

Tell that to the massive fan base of the Nickelodeon Celebration Parade, School of Rock, Tuned In! and Santa's Toy Factory shows. Don't step, son.

The live entertainment is good, but not on the level it once was. The Nickelodeon Parade and School of Rock are wonderful shows, and Winterfest 2005 was one to remember. However, for 2006 some other shows were axed - there are no shows in Nickelodeon area (just a meet 'n greet), Rivertown, International Showplace, Festhaus, etc. And the Paramount Theatre used to have at least two different shows at times, or more showings of its main show.

I'm not knocking on what they have now, but go back a decade or so, and there were FAR more live shows than today, especially with Paramount.

"the large Log Flume"

If I'm not mistaken, Kenton Cove's Keelboat Canal had more downtime than Delirium and Face-Off put together.

Tomb Raider: The Ride hasn't been too reliable either. And they replaced a treetop water ride with a lake area with charm of a big box warehouse?

"being able to go the park without being constantly reminded of the outside world through the use of annoying televisions, giant movie posters, the name Paramount printed on everything within 5 feet ( seemingly )"

Well, one would expect that coming from a multibillion dollar MOVIE STUDIO COMPANY.

Honestly, the past few years or so, I thought that they were LACKING in TV/movie tie-ins.

well back to the issue of KI being stupid....they will never become a better park if they always replace rides and never add on...they have plenty of land in the woods behind the park and they should use that to build something new.

there are no shows in Nickelodeon area (just a meet 'n greet)

The Nick Theater doesn't even have a stage or seats anymore. It's just one gaint slab of concerte. So I wouldn't except to see a show in the Nick Theater ever again.

FoF is still a relatively popular ride and I don't see it moving now that Cedar Fair owns the park. CF doesn't seem to remove rides unless it is necessary.

While IJST is "okay", my disappointment is that they didn't use the entire Antique Cars spot. While I didn't ride them, I do remember the awesome job they did to turn it into Route 666 for FearFest back in 2002. That was probably the most well done haunted attraction I've experienced.

^Paramount's Carowinds expansion into NU was running over budget, so to keep the project under budget upper management saw an oppourtunity to save money. Instead of paying for a new kite flyer, getting it sent over here, then installed, they found it easier to just relocate the lfying eagles and give them a new paint job. They did save a decent amount of money on this and had what they felt was an excuse...to make room for the Italian Job.