• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Last December 15, 2016, I visited Newport Aquarium for the first time. They had a special where everyone got in for kid's admission price.

Edited by SSR1966, 01 April 2017 - 02:27 AM.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Very enjoyable, Mr. Roberts. It's a wonderful place; haven't been in probably ten years. Was at the Levee about seven years ago at the haunted "house" on the river. Very nice area. When we used to go to the Columbus Zoo regularly, the Aquarium was the best place to escape the heat and sit and watch all the sea critters in their large unit. So relaxing. I have to admit to finding some butt-ugly and some seriously creepy, but by and large, fascinating. Used to want an aquarium at home but they are very expensive and difficult to maintain.  And the manatees at Columbus are sure fun. They eat tons of romaine lettuce and have such happy-looking faces. 

Just watched your vid of Clifton Gorge when it popped up. So glad you got to go there. Back in the day, we hiked every foot of every trail there, at John Bryan Park, and Glen Helen Reserve. Have many hundreds of (film) photos, somewhere. Lot of dangerous areas but such beauty. Many people who even live near there are unaware. Indian Mound Reserve just outside Cedarville is another very scenic area with a large falls and some rough trails. But the one to the Mound was relatively easy as I recall.  It has been years but I remember every single trail of each place. We covered them all multiple times for several years. Spring and fall are the best times, but we also hiked in knee-deep snow a few times. Don't go in summer; the skeeters will eat you alive.  And never go off-trail. Several have done that, and died there or been seriously injured. Used to see a lot of very big milk snakes sunning themselves on rocks, especially in John Bryan and Glen Helen. I think it's one of the best parts of Ohio. And of course there's the food at Clifton Mill and Young's Jersey Dairy.......and Ha Ha Pizza in Y.S.  Used to call the steps down into Glen Helen "knee killers." And they were just that. Also used to go to the fall edition of the street fair in Y.S. Lot of interesting things to see and do and eat, and terrific music. Memories of long ago......

Edited by I Am A Rider, 01 April 2017 - 09:46 AM.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

This was actually my 2nd visit to Clifton Gorge. Being not of my best health, I thought I was going to die. I actually had to lay down on an observation deck, close to the amphitheater falls, and power nap for about 20 - 25 minutes. It was really busy this day and I'm quite surprised no one came walking by and thought I was hurt or dead. I need to go back at least one more time and explore the John Bryan area. We have only been able to explore from the entrance closest to The Mill, all the way to the second foot bridge. 

I went to the Columbus Zoo just this past January or February for the first time. It was winter admission prices so I went for it. The aquarium at the zoo was very nice with the giant window. I want to go back in the summer when the train is open.  I also noticed what looked like a boat ride I want to check out.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

You do not have to go all the way through the Gorge to get to John Bryan. Take the easy entrance directly into the park....there's a turn off the road from Y.S. to Clifton with signage. Lot of rough but also some easy trails there. It covers a lot of territory. Glen Helen has incredible areas but a lot of it is very hilly and rough as well. They should still have maps available to show each trail and level of difficulty; used to, anyway. I could not traverse anything at this point but the very level areas, so I know it must be very hard for you. If you go in the fall when the leaves are changing......well, it's  remarkable and just driving through John Bryan to see the leaves is worth the trip. I hope you are able to go again. 

Also glad you got to go to the Zoo. We had memberships for years, long ago. Got our money's worth. The train is fun but very difficult for me to fit into; but squeezed in. It was worth it each time. Years ago they had a boat anchored that you could take a trip up a small section of the river. That disappeared  when they did a lot of redo at the Zoo. Don't know what kind of boat ride they might have now as it has been so long. When they have Wildlights over Thanksgiving and Christmas it is spectacular just to walk through the Zoo even if no animals are out; and they have dozens of things going on. It is a winter wonderland and we managed to catch one warm evening a year to go for a long time. Maybe we'll get back there again someday. Another place worthwhile in Columbus is COSI; it's not just for kids. And of course German Village......lived in Columbus in the 70's and still miss it sometimes. There's a lot there to see and do as I'm sure you know. Used to go to the Hocking Hills from there as well. Spectacular.

Edited by I Am A Rider, 03 April 2017 - 04:34 AM.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

I have been to the German Village and eaten at that great German restaurant. We took a Greyhound up to Columbus just to experience the bus ride... next time I will drive. We walked all around the German Village, took a self guided tour of the capital building, visited the Topiary Park and ate at Dirty Dawgs.

The boat ride looking thing was a cement flume that circled around Pirate island. The water was drained so it might not be a boat ride at all but just an artificial river just for themeing.

I do have a John Bryan/ Clifton Gorge trail map that I printed off the net. I see that entrance on SR 370/ Bryan Park Road. I will have to Google Glen Helen for I am unfamiliar with that park. I am also unfamiliar with COSI.

I haven't been to Hocking Hills since I was a kid in the 70's. It's on my bucket list.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

The boat they used to have was a real one. Seated about 40 people. We took a ride on it many times. Short trip up the river and back to the dock. 

Favorite place in German Village was Schmidt's Sausage Haus. Bahama Mama and cream puffs. Enormous, both.  Fantastic eats.  I worked a couple blocks from the State House and we went there at lunch time often. Lot of workers ate lunch in the yard in good weather. Fun times. COSI, Center of Science and Industry, is basically science museum but so much more. I think you would enjoy it.  Right on the other side of the river from downtown, couple blocks from Broad and High Streets, right across from Vets Memorial.  We had a membership there for years as well. It's a real learning experience for kids and adults. Cafeteria used to have some good food, too. 

Glen Helen is where the Yellow Springs actually are, upper and lower. Incredible history. Used to be a large inn there where people went to "take the waters" to cure ailments. Long gone. Incredible place though. Many trails, waterfalls, a sanctuary to rehab injured owls, birds, etc. Kids loved it and so did we. Still know every trail in my memory. Entrance is across the street from Antioch College...down the knee killer steps. They used to have a flat back entrance right off 343 but closed it years ago due to cars being vandalized. No idea if it ever reopened but web site should tell you. There are a lot of incredible sights if you are able to go, Mr. Roberts. Another place worth the trip. Native Americans used to live under the many rock overhangs, or so it's said. Again, many hilly areas but if you can get down the steps, there are some flatter areas. Springs are very nice. Yellow Springs is a very interesting place. Glen Helen, Clifton Gorge, John Bryan and Hocking Hills are some of Ohio's greatest treasures, in my opinion. Would not trade living in Ohio for any other place in the world. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users