Photo

Major attraction leaving after this year.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

The latest rumor is that a major attraction will be leaving Kings Island this year.

Normally, my first guest would be Amazon Falls, because no one hardly rides that... but calling it a "major" attraction is being rather generous.

So my second guess would be Vortex, because more people hate getting beat up on that ride than there are people who enjoy it.

My third guess is Adventure Express, because most of the rides' dark elements haven't worked in a very long time and there is barely any upkeep on the elements that do still work (statues beating drums). Also, the company that made those coasters (Adventure and Vortex) has probably gone down hill, if it still exists at all, since the owner passed away, so replacement parts are going to become more difficult to come by (unless it's something that another company can duplicate, like a lift hill chain). But this is all just theory. I have no claim as to what is really going on with Arrow Dynamics or Kings Island.

The second rumor is that Ceder Fair is adding coasters to five of its parks in 2018. So my other theory is that they could take out Vertigo and move it to a smaller park, like Michigan Adventure or something, and replace its spot at Kings Island with a flat ride or with nothing at all. A used coaster is still a new coaster for a park that doesn't already have one like it. I can't imaging Kings Island getting another coaster after just debuting Mystic Timbers this year, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

I have heard the rumor as well, and agree with all your speculations, Mr. Roberts. Never liked the Falls; only time I have seen people there in years is on very hot days when they want to get cooled off. We walked by and watched a few times. Don't think it could be called a major attraction either. The setting is nice, though.  Also gave up on A.E. and Vortex long ago as well. Did see they are building a new coaster at Cedar Point and agree it's doubtful they would bring another one to the park right after Timbers, but again, you never know.  I can see something being moved, though don't see the reasoning behind the expense and complexity of doing that, now or in the past when it's been done. Guess that's why someone else makes the big bucks to decide these things. 

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Firehawk attendance seems to be down as well, from my observation. I think because the wait is so long to ride, even on days when the park is not busy and the line is short. I wouldn't think they would move that one, however, because it is the only thing like it at Kings Island. Even it has a history of being moved, relocated to Kings Island from Geauga Lake in 2007. Unlike Vertigo, which seems kind of pointless since Banshee opened, despite the fact that visitors can ride backwards for half the ride. Removing Adventure Express or Vortex leaves a lot of open space for another coaster down the road, however.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Again, I agree, Mr. Roberts. Wouldn't think it wise to move something like that a second time. Wonder what Geauga Lake looks like now.

Bet the water park will be packed this weekend with the oncoming heat wave. We shall hibernate in the a/c. 

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

I guess we all know now that the "major attraction" that is leaving is Dinosaurs Alive, especially considering that it is already gone. I do miss the T-Rex standing at the park entrance.

As far as new rides, if they put antique cars where the construction is currently going, it would be a very tight and/ or very short ride. Maybe not if you include Tower Garden in the antique car space. Having thought about it, putting antique cars on the Dinosaurs Alive path would be a bad move because it is so far off the beaten path, back behind The Racer. No one would ride it because out of sight, out of mind. A big new coaster could thrive back there but not a antique car ride. I think this is The Bat's problem as well. A mile away from the next closest ride (Banshee) is just too far for regulars and hidden from new guests. Plus, I would think the park would want the cars visible, and between Coney Mall and the carousel would be perfect.

I thought about the rumor of a barbecue restaurant going into that space but the space is too big unless they're building another Festhaus type of place, but that is awfully close in proximity to the Festhaus.  A regular sized restaurant would take up even more of that small space for antique cars. Personally, I would get rid of those awful burritos and convert that space to barbecue. Also, if it was just going to be a normal sized restaurant, they could have just customized the building that was already there rather demolishing and starting over.

For Winterfest, they converted the burrito place to a loaded mac-n-cheese or loaded tater tots place and it is very good. They should just convert and serve that year around.

I wouldn't be surprised if the park didn't get any new attractions at all. Mystic Timbers last year was good enough that no one should be able to complain if there is not any new rides next year... but they still will.

Maybe throw in a couple of classic midway carnival rides and call it a day. A Tilt-O-Whirl would be nice but it's not that much different from The Monster.

Edited by SSR1966, 13 December 2017 - 10:02 PM.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

It is out of the way and people tend to stay in specific areas. My thought on the antique car return would be the cost of gas (they could probably figure out how to do electric) and the pollution it caused. Never could stand the exhaust smell and it traveled around. Usually once something is gone and people are used to the absence, it is difficult to bring back interest. I don't think it would thrive anywhere actually, not anymore. People tend to move on to other things. And they don't need to bring new rides every year. They could improve general things and get pretty much the same effect from my point of view. Would hate to see the tower garden area disappear as well.

Barbecue place sounds like a plan; no way could I ever eat burritos at an amusement park. But no matter what they do, or don't do, you are right, Mr. Roberts. People will still complain.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

I think it is like having a business in the dead wing of a mall. Unless there is a popular store to act as an anchor, hardly anyone is going to come down to your wing. Cedar Point has two separate antique car rides and they could be looking to re-locate one. Still, I'll believe it when I see it or it's officially announced. It would make a great family ride, and like I said earlier, that area between the carousel and Coney Mall would be a good fit as far as the theaming goes, but the space looks so very small.  

Personally, I would like to see the train re-routed around the perimeter of the park. Once they figured out how to get it to cross the park entrance without disrupting the flow of pedestrian traffic, it would in theory, be smooth sailing to lay the rest of the track.  I guess you would probably need Disney money to pull off that much investment into a train ride.

You ever notice, with the exception of Dollywood, park trains always run in a clockwise direction?

It could be a brand new flat, like Windseeker was before it opened. Something so new that no one is even thinking about it.  I guess about 4 months from now we will have our answers.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Well, malls sure are dying quick everywhere these days. But we are of the same mind, Mr. Roberts. Have thought from the time the park opened that they should have the train run around the perimeter. And thought about it each time we went to Stricker's Grove. It would cost untold millions now. And I guess would have to be elevated or underground past the entrance.  And wow, had never thought about the direction the trains run in different places, but you are right as I think of several I have been on over the years. Wonder why that is. Stricker's is counter-clockwise, and so is the one at Columbus Zoo. They are, however, very small, so don't know if that should count in the equation. Big train at Stone Mountain is clockwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users