• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
So a friend of mine has been to Universal Studios in Singapore and has ridden the Battlestar Galactica coaster. I looked it up on You Tube to watch a point of view video and it looks pretty damn awesome. Its two coasters intertwined, a sit down coaster representing the human race and a hanging coaster for the Cylons. Parts of the Cylon footage was making me feel a bit nauseas but it looks way more fun than the human coaster. How great would it be to travel the world and try different rides and coasters?

http://youtu.be/jWJYeimZUPo

I would like to see some videos of rides and/or coasters that you loved or would like to ride someday.

Edited by SSR1966, 21 January 2014 - 08:55 PM.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
I just realized that on that Battlestar Galactica coaster above, the human train looks like a wide Colonial Viper the the Cylon train has the Cylon robot head on the front. Wonder if there is any other themeing going on in either the station or line queue?

I wish someone would bring elements of this Japanese coaster, The Ultra Twister, back here to the United States. This looks like it would be one wild ride!

Edited by SSR1966, 21 January 2014 - 08:56 PM.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
Okay, Mr. Roberts, I am officially nauseated. Think that backward twist might kill me. As for traveling the world to ride coasters - great for you younger guys but someone of my age, past that time. If it's further than three hours on a plane I'm not going. But hope you get the opportunity. These are great videos. I presume the people filming have special permission of some kind as I don't know any place that just lets you film as you ride. A helmet cam would come in handy for this.......

No idea about additional theming but it would make sense to continue it.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
When I was in line for Space Mountain in Orlando I saw people videotaping while riding, very openly without trying to hide it or anything and the park employees did not seem concerned about it, but I assume most of these videos are shot with permission. Many of these videos look like they are shot before the park opens because the trains are mostly empty and every once in a while you will get a glimpse of a rigging that has one of the cameras strapped down to the train. I get these glimpses mostly in the videos that have the ride from several point of views. I think in the Ultra Twister video above you can catch a shot of one of the video harnesses, a black strap, holding down one of the cameras.

Apparently, in Beijing China, you ride a sort of roller coaster up the granddaddy of lift hills (over five minutes) to get to the top of the Great Wall, and then it becomes sort of a mountain coaster that you ride to get back down to ground level. Also apparently, the Chinese people are not very concerned about such things as safety and making sure your shoulder harness are secured. I loved the line about the metal on metal grinding smell.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
Dragon Wings is its real name, but its often refered to as its nickname, The High Five Coaster. Its a dueling wooden coaster where, at one point, the trains race side by side on a banked track and the riders reach out to each other. This baby can be found only in China, eventhough it was designed by the Ohio based company, The Gravity Group.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
You're right, Mr. Roberts. Don't think they are concerned about safety at all there - hence all the products sent here with dangerous lead content that have to be recalled, etc. And I sure as heck have no interest in ever traveling there. Too far, too too much smog, and too many other things to even mention. No way, no how. But the videos are fun to watch, though the metal on metal sound and smell would scare the bejeezus out of me. There are obviously safe ways to film while riding but I think too many people would take too many risks here and someone would end up being hurt , so I do understand the restrictions in place here.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
I have no aspirations to go to China, but if someone were to be going and invited me, and I could afford it, I think I would have to go. But until that unlikely event happens, there is more than enough for me to see and do right here in the United States. There is still a tone of stuff I would like to see and do right here in the Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana region. I have not even been to Cedar Point or Holiday World yet. So much living to do, so little time.
Check out this small coaster in Atayal Park in Taiwan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTbbhuh5uE

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
This reminds me of a small coaster we used to put the kids on at the state fair, long ago. Wonder if they still have it. But it was in a lot better shape than this one.......don't think I'd want to risk this, Mr. Roberts, but fun to watch. It does look quite shaky.

I think most people would choose Cedar Point over Holiday World, but not me. Holiday World is just so well run and the cleanest park I've ever been to. Good food and reasonable prices, free drinks and sunscreen, wonderful scenery in the area and a lot of other interesting things to do outside the park. Hope you have the chance to spend a couple days there sometime. We spent a couple hours just at the Lincoln Museum - incredible. And the Abbey - you have to see it to believe it. Just so enjoyable, the entire area. Santa Claus itself is small but unique and there's a lot in the surrounding area.

Comedian Louis CK was on Letterman last night --he talked about a trip he'd made to China and that it was, in his words, weird and he'd never want to go back; so much smog you could not breathe and he was apparently very uncomfortable there for a lot of reasons. Couldn't pay me to go. And you're right, there's so much in our own country still to see and do - and hopefully be safer.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
Been watching some of these other vids, Mr. Roberts, due to everything being closed since it's a freeze -your- tailfeathers- off- if- you- go- out day. Interesting, colorful, sometime dizzying but fun to watch. Thanks for posting these.

With these temps, I think hell is officially frozen over.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
This (mostly) trackless coaster just opened at Knoebels Amusement park this past October and it looks like strait up fun. Its a mix of coaster and bob sled and has been in the making since 2006, but finally opened in October of 2013. I must figure out how to get to Elysburg, Pennsylvania to try this baby out for myself.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
Great video, Mr. Roberts. This does look like a ton of fun. Been near there twice (on 80) but never to the park. That area of Pennsylvania has some spectacular scenery.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Paramount4ever

Paramount4ever

KIE Cruiser Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
This is one of my favorites.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
Maybe someday I will make it out to one of the Six Flags parks.

Paramount4ever

Paramount4ever

KIE Cruiser Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
I'm hoping I get to try out the Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend this summer. I'm kind of broke at the moment so I shale see if this pans out or not.

Edited by SSR1966, 09 June 2014 - 03:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users