Photo

Cedar Fair Pickers & the return of vintage amusement park rides.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Inspired by the “American Pickers” reality television show, a pair of collectors is scouring Europe for classic rides to bring back to Cedar Fair amusement parks in the United States and Canada.

The duo was sent on the continent-spanning scavenger hunt by Cedar Fair Chief Executive Matt Ouimet, a former Disneyland president who is hoping the refurbished family rides will add a nostalgic atmosphere to the chain’s 11 amusement parks.

“We believe that we can bring some classic rides back to the parks, maybe that were there years before,” Ouimet said.

The rest of the story can be found here...

http://www.latimes.c...ory.html#page=1

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
What a great idea, Mr. Roberts! I am totally hooked on American Pickers; so much fun to see what they find and a lot of it Ii remember.....would be great to have some of the old rides back for today's kids. I heard the team is supposed to be in Ohio in October but nothing definitive as yet.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
I wonder if Cedar Fair is hoping to get interest in a TV series with this idea? Seems like a lot of those rides referenced in the articles are still readily available. No need to go searching through old barns to find them.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
Interesting thought, Mr. Roberts. The pickers I was talking about though, are the ones from the actual tv show; they are going to be in Ohio this fall looking for other things. Don't think there would be any rides in old barns but you never know. Could be parts and pieces. Be fun to look around and see. We've looked through a couple in the past and found all sorts of interesting stuff but don't collect. No room.

SSR1966

SSR1966

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
I remember seeing one episode where they found an old carnival ride in some guys barn, but he wanted to much and they did not get it. They never got a good shot of it so I don't know what kind of ride it was, but I'm pretty sure it was just a kiddie ride. If Ceder Fair did land a "pickers" series, I would definitely watch it.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
Yes, I would watch as well, Mr. Roberts. I didn't see the episode you mentioned, but I do seem to recall a few years ago that some parts of a ride were found somewhere in northeastern Ohio in a barn. Maybe that was it. Don't remember what it was or exactly where, just seeing something about it on news somewhere. Could be something else entirely. I even watch repeat episodes of Pickers sometimes as don't usually catch entire episodes at once and never remember to record. Just enjoy nosing around old second hand stores, barn sales, etc. but rarely have time. There are treasures to be found if you know what to look for; we don't!

Edited by I Am A Rider, 27 August 2015 - 12:03 PM.

I Am A Rider

I Am A Rider

KIE Extreme Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
Saw an episode of Pickers that featured an old coin-operated ride made in Cincy between 1951 and 1954. Instead of the usual ponies, etc., it was an original paint red metal boar. Not an amusement park ride, but still interesting They used to have some newer versions years ago at kids' arcades and malls as I recall. Never knew the company was in Cincinnati. Still hoping to have them discover an old Ferris wheel or something........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users