Sign in to follow this  
PKIDelirium

Kings Island Pushes Boundaries For Halloween Haunt

I feel like people want it both ways, and have a horrible double standard.

When it comes to cleanliness and employees, Cedar Fair claims to have brought it back to the pre-Paramount Kings Island, what with all of their trashcans and smiling employees and all of that lack of "Paramount's" in the name... And everyone eats it up!

But then Cedar Fair does this really over-the-top Halloween event. I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I'm just saying, would Kings Island have done it in 1972? No chance in hell. Is that REALLY back to the way Kings Island used to be?

So do you actually want pre-Paramount Kings Island? If you do, then you'll have Hannah-Barbara, Winterfest, and virtually no Halloween (especially not a Halloween with strippers in Club Blood, murderous doctors and rotting corpses with eyes ripped out, goats penned up in some pitch-black Slaughterhouse, etc.)... I have no problems with Halloween Haunt as a whole, I'm just kind of tired of Cedar Fair flaunting that Kings Island is "back to the way it used to be, before that awful movie studio screwed it up!" and then they decide to have absolutely nothing in common with how it used to be. I mean, if Nickelodeon has to go, I'd chew off my right arm to bring back Hannah Barbara. Or make Scooby into an entire area - THAT'S what Taft would've done.

They just need to decide one way or the other. Classic Kings Island with Hannah Barbara and low key holidays and family > thrills? Or Cedar Fair's Kings Island with cutting-edge thrills, Snoopy and the goriest Halloween celebration this side of the Ohio River? It's one or the other. They can't have it both ways.

Thank you! I totally agree with everything you said, and have said the same thing before. Cedar Fair just uses the whole nostalgic thing as an excuse. They don't care about how KI used to be, and they don't plan on making it be like it used to. If CF really cared about making the park nostalgic, they wouldn't play the kind of music they do around the park. The park would be so much better if they actually did what they claim they do. I just really hope Kings Island gets bought out soon by someone good. If only we could be Taft or PKI again...

And wow, about the video. I'm surprised how people are taking this. I mean I could see in Cincinnati but in Nashville it's making headlines! Wow, I kinda wish KI would just removed that 'setup.'

When it comes to cleanliness and employees, Cedar Fair claims to have brought it back to the pre-Paramount Kings Island, what with all of their trashcans and smiling employees and all of that lack of "Paramount's" in the name... And everyone eats it up!

But then Cedar Fair does this really over-the-top Halloween event. I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I'm just saying, would Kings Island have done it in 1972? No chance in hell. Is that REALLY back to the way Kings Island used to be?

So do you actually want pre-Paramount Kings Island? If you do, then you'll have Hannah-Barbara, Winterfest, and virtually no Halloween (especially not a Halloween with strippers in Club Blood, murderous doctors and rotting corpses with eyes ripped out, goats penned up in some pitch-black Slaughterhouse, etc.)... I have no problems with Halloween Haunt as a whole, I'm just kind of tired of Cedar Fair flaunting that Kings Island is "back to the way it used to be, before that awful movie studio screwed it up!" and then they decide to have absolutely nothing in common with how it used to be. I mean, if Nickelodeon has to go, I'd chew off my right arm to bring back Hannah Barbara. Or make Scooby into an entire area - THAT'S what Taft would've done.

They just need to decide one way or the other. Classic Kings Island with Hannah Barbara and low key holidays and family > thrills? Or Cedar Fair's Kings Island with cutting-edge thrills, Snoopy and the goriest Halloween celebration this side of the Ohio River? It's one or the other. They can't have it both ways.

Thank you! I totally agree with everything you said, and have said the same thing before. Cedar Fair just uses the whole nostalgic thing as an excuse. They don't care about how KI used to be, and they don't plan on making it be like it used to. If CF really cared about making the park nostalgic, they wouldn't play the kind of music they do around the park. The park would be so much better if they actually did what they claim they do. I just really hope Kings Island gets bought out soon by someone good. If only we could be Taft or PKI again...

And wow, about the video. I'm surprised how people are taking this. I mean I could see in Cincinnati but in Nashville it's making headlines! Wow, I kinda wish KI would just removed that 'setup.'

Yeah I agree I'm p*ssed off at Cedar Fair! :mad: I don't like how it's been it's just not the same park to me and this Halloween Haunt news makes me kinda up set I know that events(Haunted Houses,Trails etc) around Halloween get kinda ''hairy'' but to mock those we have lost this year is just morbid,sick and revolting...I wish Dolly Parton would take out her check book and buy the park(s) already!

...What makes this even worse is that a spokesperson for Kings Island initially denied that there was ever a McNair skeleton at all. That kind of didn't work because they, you know, let a TV station run through the theme park.

Anyway, due to the uproar these skeletons caused in Tennessee, they won't be around when the park opens on Friday. But don't worry, there's still the skeleton of Heath Ledger surrounded by pills. And no, I'm not making that up....

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Kings-Island-Hal...roar-Blog-29582

That last part is probably for now. The New York Daily News print edition also confirms this (a friend in New York read it to me this morning...it is not available on the web at the moment).

I'm sure Channel 5 is somehow responsible for all this.

Sigh.

See also:

http://deadspin.com/5366449/steve-mcnair-m...lloween-display

And see:

When reached by FanHouse, a spokesperson for Kings Island, Don Helbig, said the following, "There will not be a scene at our Halloween event that features Steve McNair or anyone that resembles him."

With video and pictures of the skeletons circulating online, Helbig at first declined to acknowledge that they had ever existed. "There was no reference to Steve McNair at all. No jersey, nothing." Upon being informed that the pictures and video were already online, Helbig again insisted that the skeletons would not be featured on Friday when the event opens. Pressed as to when the skeletons were removed from the park, Helbig stuck to his talking points. "Our event does not open until Friday," he said, "We meant him no disrespect."

emphasis added

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/skeleto...atured-in-king/

Edited by The Interpreter

"There was no reference to Steve McNair at all. No jersey, nothing."

I can't believe it! Instead of owning up to AND APOLOGIZING for it he completely lies, denying the display ever existed. Why try to save face when he and others obviously knew about the display? Pictures are online. We saw them. The photos don't lie Mr Helbig, unlike you. ;)

I wonder if the Heath Ledger will be removed.

Edited by Diamondback Dude

A skeleton dressed as the Joker is kind of cool. You know, because it's like a "Halloween" costume. But displaying it in a way that purposefully highlights the death of the man who originally wore the costume? Sick. I love one of the comments on the links to the TN news sources. One simply said "Stay classy Kings Island." I think that's really what it comes down to. These skeletons (and really, the way they do most things nowadays) are trashy and disrespectful. They aren't funny, and the number of arrogant obnoxious teenagers who will make a scene laughing at them is far-outnumbered by the parents, visitors, and respectful teens (like me!) who are appalled.

I'm glad you two agree about Cedar Fair. The only aspect is which the park is in any way like how it was before Paramount is the name. No Scooby, rides lacking paint, an emphasis on finance over guest satisfaction, outrageous Halloween antics just to "cross the line"... Paramount made mistakes, yes. But at least hey tried (and in many ways, succeeded) at making it a destination park that got large scale coverage. And perhaps most importantly, they never claimed to keep Kings Island the way it was under Taft. Cedar Fair has, so they better honor the original park and the people who loved it by sticking to their word and they've done a bang-up job so far!

You go on and on and on and on.....well you get the point about how you don't like what Cedar Fair has done with the park. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time you have mentioned the whole "Bringing Kings Island back to the way it was thing." To be honest the rhetoric is getting old. I'm all for arguing different sides but when you continue to use the same logic it is hard to not feel like you are one sided.

From what I can recall you seem to have been not happy with the way Cedar Fair has handled the theming around the park. But now that they have really gone at it with the theming and pulling out seemingly all the stops, you get angry? They really attacked this whole Halloween thing to make it the best event possible with theme and atmosphere and now you are mad?

As far as your argument for Winter Fest and them not really emphasizing Halloween and the past and therefore it isn't Classic Kings Island, thats just not right. We ALL know when they did bring Winter Fest back it was a bust and they lost a lot of money. Why would they keep at it when they continue to loose money on something that isn't in high demand. Second, back when Winter Fest was big and Halloween was not at Kings Island, I submit to you that that is how it was in society. Halloween didn't used to be this big thing that we know it as today. At most kids used to just go door to door in their costumes. There didn't used to be all of these haunted houses to go to. How can you blame a company that is in business to MAKE MONEY to not try and capitalize on the market conditions? You can only get so Classic before you can't get anymore Classic and still make money.

As far as the skeletons. Yea they probably are not the greatest idea in the world. But I revert back to the theming. Also, some of the celebs I had even forgot had died this year, like McNair, so for me it was a nice reminder that, "Hey, yea I forgot about that, what a sad story".

Ryan

A lot of people seem to agree, and you have nothing but arguments towards everything that everyone posts on here. So that's fine. You can have your opinion. I'm not happy with the way Cedar Fair's handled the park, and more and more people are starting to see why. This Halloween fiasco, Scooby leaving, etc. So I guess I'm not so horribly wrong.

And you say they finally pulled out all the stops on themeing. Oh yes, strippers dancing around in Club Blood and suicidal skeletons scattered about the park... WHAT THEME. :rolleyes:

Everything I ever post, you have a problem with. Same with a lot of other people and how you seem to only seek out things to pick at. Again, your opinion is your opinion. But a lot of people don't agree with YOU. Reply to this with something degrading and long-winded about how stupid I am if you must, but I won't be turning this thread into a personal battle with you. You know my opinion, and we all know yours.

This got me to login and post. (That takes alot)

I give a high-five to KI for doing this. Fearfest/ HH has always been for the tweens and their parents. This makes it an actual draw for the people who may actually want to be scared.

Everything I ever post, you have a problem with. Same with a lot of other people and how you seem to only seek out things to pick at. Again, your opinion is your opinion. But a lot of people don't agree with YOU. Reply to this with something degrading and long-winded about how stupid I am if you must, but I won't be turning this thread into a personal battle with you. You know my opinion, and we all know yours.

And now you know why I don't post here at this site anymore.

As for the display....incredibly bad taste. My respect for KI has really dropped several notches.

As for the display....incredibly bad taste. My respect for KI has really dropped several notches.

If I am the reason that you don't post anymore than I am sorry. I never seek out to demean anyone or make anyone feel stupid. It is just hard for me because I seem to be the only person who feels the way I do, so I have to make myself heard.

I know a lot of people don't agree with me but that shouldn't keep me from posting my opinion. Also, I don't have a problem with everything you post. If you read my whole post you will see that I did say that the skeletons were in poor taste.

I'm sorry to everyone that I have nitpicked at. I like to play devils advocate a lot and sometimes it gets out of hand when something I am disagreeing with is something I have a solid opinion about.

Ryan

Didn't KI/CF say that No one and nothing is off limits!? and Didn't KI want that bad press didn't they say they hope it will increase sales?...I will admit I was so turned off by that little stunt and I'm not going to Halloween Haunt there are plenty of other ''Haunts'' around ohio that are cheaper and better.

Kings Island got a lot of bad press a friend told me that if she would have seen those dead stars being mocked it would have been a buzzkill.

But I'm happy Kings Island took down that display a lot of my friends were upset by it.

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy

This got me to login and post. (That takes alot)

I give a high-five to KI for doing this. Fearfest/ HH has always been for the tweens and their parents. This makes it an actual draw for the people who may actually want to be scared.

Could you log in just one more time to kind of explain where you stand…I honestly can’t tell if you were for or against the skeletons!

Oh, who asked YOU to put in your 2 cents! :lol: (Please don’t let anyone stop you from posting your opinions…that’s what makes it interesting.)

(quote)

"There was no reference to Steve McNair at all. No jersey, nothing."

I can't believe it! Instead of owning up to AND APOLOGIZING for it he completely lies, denying the display ever existed. Why try to save face when he and others obviously knew about the display? Pictures are online. We saw them. The photos don't lie Mr Helbig, unlike you. ;)

I wonder if the Heath Ledger will be removed.

I think the so-called "lie" from Mr. Helbig was part of the publicity stunt. It's like if you were caught by someone with your hand in a cookie jar and you deny it while you were eating the stolen cookie right in front of them. He knew they were there, he was being sarcastic and the media fell for it along with the rest of the stunt.

I think they had no intention of having the displays put up during Haunt in the first place. Maybe they displays were already gone before the pictures were released to the media. Heck, my dad even chuckled at the publicity stunt.

i think its great they are "pushing" the limit this year but as a very big animal lover i think it is almost a cruel idea to use live animals in this. idk what kind of animals they are using but to me it doesnt matter. its going to subject them to a great deal of undue stress and possibly injury to them or to guests. i mean for example, what if they use a dog? the dog could become stressed and attack someone out of pure discomfort. especially if the animals are not used to the type of noises/props/masses of people. plus a lot of guests may try to hurt the animals. not everyone is respectful. if they can vandalize a brand new waiting line ( aka Diamondback ) in the first few days of operation what makes you think someone wont try to hurt one of the animals? idk how they will keep that whole thing in control but i hope they keep it in moderation or completely rule it out because i don't support it.

most of you may think im "overreacting" but whatever. i care deeply about animals. always have, always will. i have devoted most of my life to caring for them and keeping them from harms way and i dont have a good feeling about this. if they really are going to keep this in, i really hope someone of some animal protection agency is watching over this because if not, there will be problems. i know it.

^

I beleive they're using goats. Maybe pigs. But I do agree. Let's face it: some people are jerks, and someone will dump a drink into the pen, throw trash in, etc. Pure and simple.

And even if they're penned up and protected from that sort of thing, haunted houses are purposefully loud. Constant shrieks, loud rattling, people running... That's not good for the animals, even if they are in an outdoor section of the house, it's sooo much for them to deal with having people run by screaming, scareactors smacking walls and banging trashcan lids, etc.

^Not necessarily... a video on one of the news articles showed a goat in a large-sized area, protected by a chain-link fence. There was plenty of straw on the ground, and I'd also assume water. Regarding a guest pouring a drink on one of them, I'd imagine that the the scareactor at the entrance to the maze (the one who always gives the directions) will be on the lookout for drinks amongst guests. Also, with loud noise, artificial fog, flashing lights, etc., the animals may not be in the same area as any of that. It could be in a quiet part of the maze without any scares.

The goats belong to a staff member of Kings Island. I don't think we've been told their position. But whether it's the president or a scareactor, I doubt they would be personally responsible for standing by the goats each and every night, all night. I'm sure they just entrust their safety to whatever Kings Island has cooked up.