Sign in to follow this  
shark6495

SOB Down but not out... yet

Hey guys I figured the old thread was getting way too long. SOB still closed but the investigation seems to be over.

"However, the ride remains closed because park officials have “not decided what steps they plan to take concerning the ride,” according to an investigation summary released Wednesday."

What steps are left?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009072...s+Son+of+Beast+

The steps left are probably...are they going to make modifications? What date will the ride reopen?

Edited by kjkjkj

anyone else think that the fact kings island is mum on SOB still even after all this is at least curiously suspicious. Could be nothing, but even still they release nothing. This report, is just what the ODA said, not a kings island press release.

the past two days i was at the park i heard so many people wanting to go ride it and so many people not even know what exactly happened. i shared with almost all whom i could, the correct facts. it was just a sad sight to see such a large structure so silent and see the trains just chilling on the transfer tracks. i really hope they can just get it up and running again before the season is over. i only have one ride on this for the year and i guess thats better than none, but still!!!

Well it doesnt sound promising but then again it is the Cincinnati Enquirer. But I too hope it is up an running again.

I want an honest opinion and I am not on the band wagon to tear this ride down, I love it. But is this ride turning into this generations "Bat." Now I know Bat never had injuries but it was plagued by faulty designs and eventually proved to be too much to keep up. One would have to think that if this continues for the SOB KI would be mad not to consider other options. Now of course SOB I believe has run longer than the Bat but how many years in a row for this ride has it been down?

I would hate to see it go but to be realistic, I can not think park managers love the publicity of this thing, or the money it costs to do "repairs".

Side not, does the park have to pay to have it inspected? or is it similar to health inspectors who do it because they are funded by the govt?

the ride hasnt been closed for years straight. it has been closed randomly throughout its life, with the worst being between july 06 and 07. from what ive read, the bat was so bad they would post in the newspapers the days it would be open, because it was down that much. Son of Beast isnt really the same, in that it could be operating right now and be completely fine. In fact, its uptime is pretty well in comparison to a lot of other rides... but the issues with it due raise questions... of which never seem to be answered by the park....

I want to get everyone's thoughts on this,

what if it were retracked with something similar to say Gemini at Cedar Point? Is that even possible? I think it would definitely damage the integrity of the ride in that it would no longer have the classic woody grit,

but on the other hand it would smooth out the ride and make it more enjoyable for the masses. Might even make it faster.

I want to see it reopened as-is and soon, but I'd rather see 'em do something like this than tear it down.

even if kings island were to change the sob in some way, they wouldnt make it like gemini even if that were possible. they would lose their record of most wooden track at one park... it wouldnt happen even if that werent a factor either, its just not worth it. I wouldnt even want to ride a neutered less extreme sob like that.

Edited by jondrewfoo

Remaining steps:

1) Admit defeat

2) 1-800-GOT-JUNK

Amen.

In fact, its uptime is pretty well in comparison to a lot of other rides...

I couldn't disagree with you here more. SoB has had leaps-and-bounds more downtime than the majority of other rides. I can't even think of another ride that has had more problems than SoB in the last 9 years, nor a ride that has had the state need to inspect it more. I've said it many times before - there's a reason RCCA went bankrupt and is no longer around. The ride has an awful structure, and the layout is a complete lemon when compared to most other rides.

they would lose their record of most wooden track at one park...

I can guarantee you that losing the "most wooden coaster track at a single park" 'record' is nowhere near the top of the list of reasons to keep Son. They don't really care about records - they focus more on the ride itself, the downtime it has, maintenance/upkeep costs, etc. If they were to lose the 'record' if (or more likely, when) they decide to remove the coaster, they won't really care. I'm sure they would find a much better use for that plot of land. Record or no record.

ugh. i was pointing out that the ride itself doesnt shut down much. I mean, look at firehawk. Son of Beast may not be open a lot, but that is not the rides fault. If it isnt being investigated, or shut down its normally up and running. I definately agree with you on the maintenance though, after seeing what they do on the maintenance log in the investigation, that is quite a bit.

Son of Beast has cost the park more than its original budget. The question is will Cedar Fair keep banging their heads against the wall trying to fix it or just get rid of it. Is ridership so good that it is worth keeping? I don't know a single non-enthusiast who likes the ride.

People at work jokingly say that the ride was designed by a team of chiropractors to increase their business in the Cincinnati area.

Johndrew, the fact that the ride stays closed for large amount of days is more of a headache than a ride breaking down for a few hours. I am not 100 percent sure but I am pretty sure that having the ride being investigated is because of the ride.

We all need to step back for a moment and remember SOB is not a creature or a person it is a ride. It is a ride inside of a park, which means it needs to do 1 of 2 things, make lots of money for the owners or entice large amount of people to want to keep riding it. Since SOB is free number 1 is not an option.

Most people love riding rides because of the percieved nature of disaster and danger. People love riding roller coasters because they feel like they may get hurt but they know that it is suppose to be safe. This thrill keeps people coming back. When a ride is either way to rough (I am not sure SOB is too rough or not, depends on who you are I guess) or not open for large amounts of time, the ride does not lure people into the park.

Yeah people don't ride it that much. And I don't think that many people are lured to KI over another park such as Holiday World or Kentucky Kingdom because of Son of Beast. They could remove it and would literally see no change in attendance or revenue.

The Beast definitely draws people - but not its son.

sobtear.jpg

Edited by TheKlockster

I guess what it comes down to is simple: A full medical screening by a certified physician and a written doctor's note of approval is necessary to ride Son of Beast. And you have to be under 35. There. Problem solved.

As for records, that changes over the years.. look at Geauga Lake... The park had several and now it is gone and most of the record breaking rides are in other parks or scrapped! I hope that they can work out the bugs for Son of Beast!

If the ride is going to be in the news because of an accident or injury, which seems to be happening a little more frequently these past few years, that's not going to make the park look good. I can't see CF and Kings Island putting too much more money into this ride.

What good is the ride now that they can't brag about it being the "world's first wooden looping coaster" anyway? That's what got people's attention. Now it's just another wood coaster with an tremendous first drop and a brutal rose bowl helix.