Sign in to follow this  
shark6495

SOB Down but not out... yet

I guess what it comes down to is simple: A full medical screening by a certified physician and a written doctor's note of approval is necessary to ride Son of Beast. And you have to be under 35. There. Problem solved.

I tend to agree with this statement. Why should you have to go to that extreme to ride something?

that also happens to be easily visible from quite a distance away, and prominently featured at the front of the park....

True but SoB is no longer the dominant ride in the park. Based on all the great photos I've seen on the Net Diamondback, though not at the front of the park, does a great job of being visible from quite a distance away and has a more prominent profile than the wooden behemoth.

SoB's impact on the park skyline might be missed if they do decide to rip it out but other than a few diehard fans of the ride I don't think there will be a huge amount of tears shed over it.

youd be surprised. every time i walk to top gun, so many people look at son of beast and just look in awe, get up to the line see the closed sign and turn right around, or go to top gun. since son of beast being closed, top gun is hard to find as a walk on even on a not so crowded day...

oh yeah i see it now... it says new in 2009... never mind.... and SOB will be running next year... right guys???? guys??? Where are the SOB guys at????? KI why dont you tell us something.... haha

xvekomax I am so split on this ride..... I really want this ride to remain open, but at the same time if it is injuring people, to be truthful it is a bit rougher than it probably should be due to many different reasons (I always wondered why the cross supports on the ride were never in a straight line,diaganol line). But if it can be fixed and made to be an enjoyable ride everytime with no injuries then great keep it open, but it does seem like it has so much negative press and the injuries can not keep happening on this ride. It seems as the years go by the ride keeps getting worse, and not better. Its not like the Beast where after 25 years it is now a bit rougher in spots and a bit better in spots, this ride just feels like it is pre-maturely aging too quickly....

Thos "cross supports" you speak of, are called ties. And I've wondered the same thing. You can really see the ties doing their questionable job of staying together as you ride Adventure Express. It's not even a slight diagonal, it's almost like they are at a 20 degree angle between the rails, instead of a 90 degree like it's supposed to be.

The ties do seem bit angled drastically. I am not an engineer but I am sure the support strength diminishes with the angle.... over than that what do I expect out a 200+ foot 75mph+ woodie? I expect a rough ride with a ton of fun, not injuries and a ride that keeps breaking down. Its not like King Cobra where you go man these bike seats really suck. It would be like if one out of every 300 riders got decapitated while riding a stand up, and people would go what do you expect from a stand up ride.

Now i do not know anything about trims but would the injuries decrease if they slowed the coaster down before entering the rose-bowl? I do not think (I may be wrong) but no one has gotten hurt during the main drop, but it seems the blunt force trauma injuries happen when the ride goes into the rose bowl...... would trimming the train before this part help the injuries? I know you roller coaster enthusiasts would loathe a brake run before the bowl, but if it helps keep the ride from breaking down and injuring people, isn't that the best idea?

Instead of a trim, I'd rather they redesign the turn around. Instead of having a rose bowl. Add maybe some really tall air hills. With just a dropping turn before doing what is usually endured. Although that would cost a lot. I wouldn't mind getting that instead of a new ride next year.

Instead of a trim, I'd rather they redesign the turn around. Instead of having a rose bowl. Add maybe some really tall air hills. With just a dropping turn before doing what is usually endured. Although that would cost a lot. I wouldn't mind getting that instead of a new ride next year.

That would be very expensive... but its better than having the ride torn down

I'm all for it. Get rid of the rose bowl and make that into a wonderful out and back terrain area. Then maybe it could connect to the existing final helices? If not, it would be find if the entire ride was redesigned after the second drop. They did it with the Steel Phantom at Kennywood, and it turned out spectacularly.

Thos "cross supports" you speak of, are called ties. And I've wondered the same thing. You can really see the ties doing their questionable job of staying together as you ride Adventure Express. It's not even a slight diagonal, it's almost like they are at a 20 degree angle between the rails, instead of a 90 degree like it's supposed to be.

The plane that the tie is in is 90 degrees to the direction that the track is being pushed by the moving train. Gravity always pulls things straight down, but straight down isnt always the direction that most of the force is going. The ties look screwy in places - especially the turn after the first drop going into the rose bowl. It's not perfect but acceptable.

They did it with the Steel Phantom at Kennywood, and it turned out spectacularly.

The thing about Steel Phantom, though, was that they didn't replace all that much of the ride. It was basically modified in some areas and the inversions taken out. Removing the rose bowl on SoB and building several hills in its place is a lot more work - and not to mention expensive.

Trimming the ride going into the rose bowl wouldn't do a whole lot for the ride experience. In order to make it tolerable, a significant amount of speed would need to be trimmed off. If that were done, the train wouldn't have enough momentum left to complete the circuit.

(With all the talk of how trims ruin rides (Beast, etc.) and how they should be removed, I'm shocked of the suggestion to add them to a ride. :lol: )

i really doubt you will see anyone doing anything on a sunday. my guess is sometime this week we will hear what is going on whether it be a press release about it being down or just a quiet testing then opening like after the 06 incident.