FF EKU dawg 4 life

Son Of Beast closed again

So I dont know if anyone posted this or not so I will basically its an article stating what we already know and the list of injuries/complaints about the ride, most if not all seem to be from before the SOB was neutered. However a few things in this article shocked me, and Im 23 and not shocked easily.

1. 2 people broke their necks while riding it.... and the freaky part was the rider next to them had to hold their head straight.

2. One dude died because of his injuries... but he was obese....

3. A dude died because he was obese and rode this ride, just another reason for me to drop the 20 pounds and get under 200...

4. Again it is weird just to think about but a dude died because he was obese on a roller coaster....

5. I do miss the loop

^Oh really? From the article shark6495 posted...

In three of the five previous inspections of Son of Beast, officals concluded that pre-existing health conditions led to the injuries - including two broken necks and a death caused by blunt force trauma. The ride was not deemed unsafe.
The ride reopened in 2007, but on July 29, the park again had to call in ODA investigators.

A 30-year-old man from Southaven, Miss., complained of "sharp back pain" after getting off Son of Beast. He died at University Hospital the next day. The Hamilton County Coroner's Office determined he had died from hemorrhagic shock from blunt impact to his torso.

So I dont know if anyone posted this or not so I will basically its an article stating what we already know and the list of injuries/complaints about the ride, most if not all seem to be from before the SOB was neutered. However a few things in this article shocked me, and Im 23 and not shocked easily.

1. 2 people broke their necks while riding it.... and the freaky part was the rider next to them had to hold their head straight.

2. One dude died because of his injuries... but he was obese....

3. A dude died because he was obese and rode this ride, just another reason for me to drop the 20 pounds and get under 200...

4. Again it is weird just to think about but a dude died because he was obese on a roller coaster....

5. I do miss the loop

When did all these Obese People break they're necks? I have never read that anywhere, ever. Same with the Death...

Dropzone, numbers 2-4 are the same obese guy who died, I was just shocked someone died and it never made it to the media. The article gives dates for the broken necks

":Reports of injuries involving Son of Beast began during the ride's second season in 2001, when two men suffered broken necks in a four-week period.The first incident occurred on July 13, 2001, when a Florence man, Marc Kennett, 44, rode the coaster about 12:30 p.m. with his wife. Three weeks later, Ramon R. Priestino, 60, an avid roller coaster rider from Columbia, S.C., also broke his neck.

Both men heard their necks "pop" in an early portion of the ride and in both situations, the passenger sitting next to the terrified rider attempted to hold the victim's head still through the rest of the ride - which reaches 78 mph"

They both had a previous condition of arthritis in their necks....

^Apparently the two men suffered broken necks but survived, but the man in 2007 died. I am shocked this wasn't covered more in the media- I was clueless about this and have wrongly corrected people that nobody has ever died on Son of Beast for years.

Well I mean, it's similar to how like, two dozen people have died on Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios. No one's died on the ride, or even because of the ride directly... There have been deaths because people with pre-existing conditions knowingly or unknowingly have put themselves in a situation that was bound to end badly.

No one thinks of Tower of Terror as a death trap, though it and Mission: Space have had so many deaths between them, which they HAVE aggravated. Son of Beast is the same.

It wasn't covered by the media because all of them had pre existing conditions, and knew in the back of their minds they shouldn't get on the ride. Why make a big deal over people being dumb.

The media can, and often does, take a hold of anything for the sake of a good story. A death on Son of Beast, no matter how tragic, would catch people's attention and prove to be a good seller, even if the victim had pre-existing conditions.

wishful thinking but i hope its running either one or both of the days im there!!! ill be at the park both tuesday/wednesday of next week...so im crossing my fingers. i want to get some more rides on it and i know my best friend really wants to ride it some more too. thanks for posting that article :)

That doesn't mean the ride will reopen next week. I'm sure the park will then have to make a decision on what to do after the investigation is complete. We have no idea what the results of said investigation will be. I have a feeling SOB is done for the year, if not for ever.

:offtopic:

its time to invest in a wrecking ball! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Give it a rest. Granted, I'm absolutely nowhere near being madly in love with Son of Beast, but try thinking beyond the end of your nose and realize that there are, in fact, people who may in fact find SoB is their favorite ride. I am not one of them, but they exist. And you've got your opinions, and everyone's free to voice his or her own, but essentially proclaiming "SoB sucks so let's tear it down" and tacking on five billion smilie faces is downright bluntly rude and naive. Assuming you actually like Diamondback, how would you like it if somebody started chanting "LOLOL DIMAONDBAKC SUKS TEAR TI DOWN LOLOL"?

Lordy.

<topic>

Actually, if the DoA completes its inspection next week, it really couldn't take Cedar Fair that long to make a decision concerning the ride's future, could it? Either the ride is safe- meaning they can open it without too much delay- or it is not, and they either need to make changes or put it out of its misery, whether through SBNO status or, as the above quoted member so memorably put it, "its time to invest in a wrecking ball". And, assuming there is something wrong with the ride and the decision is made to make changes to solve whatever issue before reopening it, wouldn't the only reason it would still be closed thereafter would be for it to receive the changes and go through the testing cycles? I'm just trying to work through the logic behind the process, that's all. ^_^

:offtopic: To continue TRFTW's rant (he and I often agree, after all), it really is getting old. Like, not even "Oh it's people's favorite ride and it hurts their feelings," but just in general... Like, yeah, for a lot of enthusiasts, Son of Beast is a laughingstock. But believe it or not, the general public does NOT get off and go "That layout was horrid." "The old trains were so much better." "The final helix seems like it's gotten rougher and needs retracked."

If ANYTHING, guests get off and go "Wow, that was rough. And it's a 218 foot wooden roller coaster, so I was kind of expecting it." The general public does not get off of it crying and screaming and ranting about how it's a huge piece of crap and how it ought to be a bonfire and how it's taking up vital B&M Invert space. No. Only enthusiasts do. And there are FAR fewer of us than there are of them.

It's like when someone has a favorite movie, and there's those few people in the crowd watching it who just loudly insult it and rant about how dumb it is before, during and after... The audience doesn't go "Hey, they're right!" and start realizing how much sense they make... The audience is thinking "Shut... Up..." You're not doing anything except getting on people's nerves at this point. I am not a SOB fan. I think that the lack of loop has destroyed the pacing of the second half, and if it was torn down, I don't think I'd be heartbroken. But you don't hear me throwing my opinion in every. single. time. the ride is brought up.

If you don't like it, don't ride it. Don't ruin it for everyone else.

ANYWAYS.

I imagine if the DoA inspection is over, the ride will either reopen in short order, or Kings Island will call in a third party to conduct another investigation. Most likely, nothing was found faulty on the ride. If something was, the investigation wouldn't be ending. It'd continue on through the whole ride.

Edited by GoodYellowKoRn182

I agree with you both I love SoB I miss the loop but I still love the coaster it's one of my favorites I hope to see testing soon.

Edited by Haunted Castle Guy

I wonder if we will see any testing this weekend...I am planning on being at the park on Sunday. It would be nice to see some trains going doing SOB's track even if it is not open.

sorry but i have not been to the park this year and sadly doubt ill be there this year, yes i know im missing diamondback, but anyways from what im reading there have been no tests with cars at all since the incident? Is this a normal thing, to have people visually check it out without trains rolling through or is this a unique situation given SOBs past. sorry still a bit naive when it comes to coasters but I love them so thats why I am here....

i find it weird that no one has seen trains go through the course... I'd figure that would be a key part of the investigation... Mabey they are testing it/ Inspecting it running after park hours?